Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Just Finished the Physical Building (Tips / Checklist Help)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2012 9:51:24 PM

I just finished building my physical computer. I got into the BIOS alright and it seemed like it POSTed (not exactly sure what that means). I'm going to be installing Windows 7 Ultimate in a few minutes and I was wondering what good CPU temps are and what I should do right as I get into Windows that is related to building a new computer. I hear some things like checking the CPU somehow by having programs put a load on it?

I'm currently idling at 33 Celsius. I've got decent cooling (HAF 912 with all fan slots full [2 default, 1x 200mm, 2x 120mm]), but I also have an octopus in the case (Non-modular PSU).

P.S. I almost forgot to thank EVERYONE that looked at my posts and/or posted. You guys have been great.

More about : finished physical building tips checklist

January 28, 2012 11:00:36 PM

Quote:
I'm going to be installing Windows 7 Ultimate in a few minutes and I was wondering what good CPU temps are and what I should do right as I get into Windows that is related to building a new computer.

The CPU temps you have now are about right. I'm running a similar configuration with the HAF 912 and have most of the fan slots full - I attached a second fan through the back of the heat sink and that dropped things considerably. I idle at 27'C with the extra fan and at full use I run about 34'C - 37'C.

Quote:
I hear some things like checking the CPU somehow by having programs put a load on it?

Well games are usually the best way but unless you're running a second monitor there's no way to accurately monitor them as the games will take up your whole display.
m
l
January 28, 2012 11:40:55 PM

I feel really stupid. I had the top 200mm fan on intake. That explained the high 33 Celsius. I turned it around and it's running at a good 26 Celsius.

Isn't there something I'm supposed to test a CPU with? Something that checks all cores? I came across something like that I but forgot what exactly it's used for or if it's even needed.
m
l
January 29, 2012 12:08:52 AM

Quote:
I feel really stupid. I had the top 200mm fan on intake. That explained the high 33 Celsius. I turned it around and it's running at a good 26 Celsius.

I've done that before, the way the fans are placed is key. You definitely want them oriented the same way as to get the hot air moving out and the cool air circulating. You might want to read this, it will give you some pointers on how to maintain your fans: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

Quote:
Isn't there something I'm supposed to test a CPU with? Something that checks all cores? I came across something like that I but forgot what exactly it's used for or if it's even needed.

There's no real accurate way to test the cores as far as I know. You could use a program like 3-D Mark but that's more for checking graphics performance than it is CPU performance.
m
l