My new vidoe card is eating up my processor

nlstivers

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hello, and thanks for the help in advance. I am running an AMD Athlon 2.6Gb duel core, 4gb of DDR memory, on and asus motherboard ASX-8. I recently got a new PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti video card so I could play BF3. I started it up took forever to load then I was kicked for not moving for 5 minutes. But as far as I could tell it was still loading. So then I got into single player mode just to see if it will play at all. Takes for ever to load then the video and sound are very very choppy. I thought I would look online for a fix later. In the mean time I got Skyrim. The sound and vidoe are choppy on it too but not so much that it is unplayable just a pain in the. So I task manager kill programs that are running to free up some cycles. Does not help. Then I get to poking around on line and click the all processes button. Still nothing. Go to the recourse monitor and I see "deferred procedures calls and interrupt service routines" is eating up one core. I read about that. Turns out the drivers for or the new video card is whats causing all the trouble. I turn the drivers off, cpu usage drops to near zero. So to check it out I put the old card back in and the cycles stay near zero and skyrim runs just fine, but I still can't play BF3 and it is generally causing other things to lag. The old card by the way is a BFG GeForce 7900. So now I have a 300 ish dollar card that is useless. It just kills me that the faster GPU is putting more strain on my CPU then then old one did. Or is it not set up right. I have no idea what is going on, so any help would be great. I might name my first born after you if you can fix it. Thanks again.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I'm not sure which particular Athlon you're running, but it appears that the 2.6 GHz dual-core Athlons are a few years/generations old. The GTX 560 Ti is a powerful and current generation GPU.

What appears to be happening is that games are becoming CPU bound, where the CPU is fully loaded, and the GPU has nothing to do.

Your GeForce 7900 appears to be of the same vintage as the Athlon, so there isn't as much a mismatch in performance.

You're looking at upgrading your CPU to do justice to your GPU.

Also - can you specify your CPU model number, and the resolution/settings you're running your games at?

ichihaifu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

This case has nothing to do with drivers. Its the simple fact that arunphilip already explained, the CPU is simply too old to handle the current generation games.

If you want to play these games, you need to upgrade more than just GPU.

yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011

Pretty much this.

I recently upgraded my old 9400GT to a GTX 560Ti, and the performance difference is staggering (as to be expected), but because I'm stuck with my old E7500, games such as Battlefield BC2 are CPU bound at 1680x1050 (Skyrim is also CPU bound, but I can still play on High Setting without encountering any lag).

Only way to alleviate the problem is to simply get a new (read better) CPU (I suggest a i5 2500K), or tuff it out until you can afford one.

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Interestingly the min CPU requirement for BF3 is an athlon X2 at 2.7 GHz. So you are below the min spec for the game. You could try overclocking to 3+GHz additionally some ASUS boards can get a BIOS update and a new chip.

My board was upgraded from a slower Athlon X2 chip then yours. I now have the the phenom 2 X3 in my sig. I couldn't really find your board on Asus's website to see what Bios / compatibility options you have. I play BF3 with most settings at high (except one anti-alias setting and i think shadows). I am playing at 1920x1080 with 64 players and my frames are typically at 35 to 45 depending on the map. I know some people feel that you need to be at 60...but I guess my point is you should be able to play you might just need to upgrade / OC your chip.

nlstivers

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Its an AMD Athlon FX 64, and sorry it is an A8S-X it was late and I have to work today. DEY123 I did not see that part, opps. I Just saw the part about a mimum of 2.2gh and I knew it was better then that so I got it. Ok so the problem is I need a new computer. I guess that goes on my self x-mas list. Thanks everyone.