Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my psu failing

Last response: in Components
Share
May 12, 2012 10:29:49 AM

Hi everyone after recently reading a post on the web I have become worried about my psu. I built my pc back in December 2011 and I used a corsair cx600 psu. From day one, whenever I turned the power on at the wall the computer made a high pitched noise however when this happens the.actual pc itself is turned off. Also I have noticed that the motherboard light is on at the same time and when it turns off the sound disappears. Also in the past I have experienced a few computer freezes which I think may be related to this.

In this a sign of immenent psi failure of is it normal?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Here is the rest of my system:
And phenom II x6 3.2 GHz
Asus m5a88m motherboard
Sapphire radeon 6870 1gb
12gb corsair ddr3 ram
Hitachi 1tb hard drive
lg DVD drive
Corsair cx600 psi

More about : psu failing

a c 158 ) Power supply
May 12, 2012 10:44:09 AM

You're saying the whine is constant when the PC is plugged in to the wall even if the PC is not powered on?
May 12, 2012 10:58:25 AM

Rugger said:
You're saying the whine is constant when the PC is plugged in to the wall even if the PC is not powered on?

yes, when the pc is actually on the whine disappears
Related resources
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 12, 2012 12:40:26 PM

That's odd...normally coil whine would only occur when the PC is turned on. Have you opened to side of the case and verified that the whine is coming from the PSU?
May 12, 2012 3:19:08 PM

Rugger said:
That's odd...normally coil whine would only occur when the PC is turned on. Have you opened to side of the case and verified that the whine is coming from the PSU?

Yes i have opened the case and i think it is the PSU but its hard to tell. I dont think its coil whine as coil whine occurs when the PSU is under strain. Is it possible that its a failing capacitor or could the high pitched noise just be normal? It has been like that for 5 months.
June 6, 2012 2:03:03 AM

I also have a cx600 psu, bought it in 7/2011. From the start I also noticed that the psu gave off a high pitched whine that was only noticeable after shutting down but keeping the computer plugged into the wall. (Unplugging the psu from the wall makes the whine go away)

My psu just failed on me, and I've been searching for ways to fix it but I'm probably going to RMA it.
June 6, 2012 1:10:23 PM

Upotte said:
I also have a cx600 psu, bought it in 7/2011. From the start I also noticed that the psu gave off a high pitched whine that was only noticeable after shutting down but keeping the computer plugged into the wall. (Unplugging the psu from the wall makes the whine go away)

My psu just failed on me, and I've been searching for ways to fix it but I'm probably going to RMA it.


Sorry to hear that. Mine didn't actually fail on me but I replaced it anyway. If you're looking for a new psi I bought an xfx pro 650w and its been great so far. I have only had it for two weeks though
!