CS2 crashes my computer

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 18, 2005 1:56:20 AM

I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously with no
problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash with no
warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the computer reboots.
Starts all over. I get a box when the restart is complete from MS that "The
system has recovered from a serious error." When I click to report the
error I am directed to a website that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error
caused by a device driver. This problem never existed previously and
started immediately upon CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and it
reported that I have the latest version of Windows with no updates
available.

I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not work.
I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe websites and see
nothing that points me in the right direction. Has anyone else had this
problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would appreciate any help. I need
it. Thanks.

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

More about : cs2 crashes computer

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:11:05 AM

> I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not work.
> I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe websites and
> see nothing that points me in the right direction. Has anyone else had
> this problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would appreciate any help.
> I need it. Thanks.
>
> --
> Terry
> Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

Looks like it is pointing to your video card. Try updating the drivers for
it.

May 18, 2005 2:28:19 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:56:20 -0400, "Terry"
<ratcafepolier@comcast.net> wrote:

>I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously with no
>problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash with no
>warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the computer reboots.
>Starts all over. I get a box when the restart is complete from MS that "The
>system has recovered from a serious error." When I click to report the
>error I am directed to a website that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error
>caused by a device driver. This problem never existed previously and
>started immediately upon CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and it
>reported that I have the latest version of Windows with no updates
>available.
>
>I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not work.
>I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe websites and see
>nothing that points me in the right direction. Has anyone else had this
>problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would appreciate any help. I need
>it. Thanks.

A few things leap to mind.

1) what operating system (obviously Windows, which version)
2) How much RAM and how much free HDD space do you have?
3) What video card are you using and are the drivers up to date?

(CS and CS2 really like that old swap drive and if you don't have
enough room...zat.)

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."
May 18, 2005 2:44:41 AM

Terry wrote:
> I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously
> with
> no problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash
> with no warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the
> computer reboots. Starts all over. I get a box when the restart is
> complete from MS that "The system has recovered from a serious
> error." When I click to report the error I am directed to a website
> that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error caused by a device driver.
> This problem never existed previously and started immediately upon
> CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and it reported that I
> have the latest version of Windows with no updates available.
>
> I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not
> work. I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe
> websites and see nothing that points me in the right direction. Has
> anyone else had this problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would
> appreciate any help. I need it. Thanks.

I've had every PS version since 5, skipping 6, and none of them
through PSCS ever skipped a beat or faltered. PS CS2 has pulled a
couple of odd ones, but hasn't stopped altogether, yet.

A year-and-a-half-old 3.2 Gig, 1GB 2x200MB drives, second one for
scratch only, so far.

The odd bit was: I opened and browsed a couple of directories of raw
images, picked and opened one in ACR, closed the "Bridge" and worked
over the image. Closed the image and went to "browse" again, and
nothing came up. Couple-three tries and nothing. No Bridge, no Browse.
Hmph. Closed and reopened PS CS2. Still no joy. It would open and
manipulate from "Open", but no Bridge, no Browse.

Closed PS CS2 and looked at the Task Manager: Bridge was running, but
no indication on the taskbar. Ended Task on the Bridge.exe, and
nothing collapsed. Opened PS CS2 and it all came right. Three days
later, still no problems.

What kind of a hiccup was that? Come to think of it, I have a utility
(Phrase Express) that occasionally loses its tiny icon while still
running. If I try to restart it, it has the common decency to tell me
there is an instance running and I'll have to close it before opening
it. Task Manager shows it and ends it, and it then starts and operates
normally, and recovers its place in the tray.

More magick than science, I say.

--
Frank ess
May 18, 2005 3:00:50 AM

Terry wrote:

> I get a box when the restart is complete from MS that
> "The
> system has recovered from a serious error." When I click to report the
> error I am directed to a website that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error
> caused by a device driver.

See if there are newer drivers for your video card would be my first guess.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Terry <ratcafepolier@comcast.net> wrote:
>I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously with no
>problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash with no
>warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the computer reboots.
>Starts all over. I get a box when the restart is complete from MS that "The
>system has recovered from a serious error." When I click to report the
>error I am directed to a website that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error
>caused by a device driver. This problem never existed previously and
>started immediately upon CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and it
>reported that I have the latest version of Windows with no updates
>available.

>I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not work.
>I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe websites and see
>nothing that points me in the right direction. Has anyone else had this
>problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would appreciate any help. I need
>it. Thanks.

I'd go ask on one of the Photoshop specific newsgroups.

---- Paul J. Gans
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:42:57 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:44:41 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>> I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously
>> with
>> no problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash
>> with no warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the
>> computer reboots. Starts all over. I get a box when the restart is
>> complete from MS that "The system has recovered from a serious
>> error." When I click to report the error I am directed to a website
>> that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error caused by a device driver.
>> This problem never existed previously and started immediately upon
>> CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and it reported that I
>> have the latest version of Windows with no updates available.
>>
>> I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not
>> work. I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe
>> websites and see nothing that points me in the right direction. Has
>> anyone else had this problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would
>> appreciate any help. I need it. Thanks.
>
>I've had every PS version since 5, skipping 6, and none of them
>through PSCS ever skipped a beat or faltered. PS CS2 has pulled a
>couple of odd ones, but hasn't stopped altogether, yet.
>
>A year-and-a-half-old 3.2 Gig, 1GB 2x200MB drives, second one for
>scratch only, so far.
>
>The odd bit was: I opened and browsed a couple of directories of raw
>images, picked and opened one in ACR, closed the "Bridge" and worked
>over the image. Closed the image and went to "browse" again, and
>nothing came up. Couple-three tries and nothing. No Bridge, no Browse.
>Hmph. Closed and reopened PS CS2. Still no joy. It would open and
>manipulate from "Open", but no Bridge, no Browse.
>
>Closed PS CS2 and looked at the Task Manager: Bridge was running, but
>no indication on the taskbar. Ended Task on the Bridge.exe, and
>nothing collapsed. Opened PS CS2 and it all came right. Three days
>later, still no problems.
>
>What kind of a hiccup was that? Come to think of it, I have a utility
>(Phrase Express) that occasionally loses its tiny icon while still
>running. If I try to restart it, it has the common decency to tell me
>there is an instance running and I'll have to close it before opening
>it. Task Manager shows it and ends it, and it then starts and operates
>normally, and recovers its place in the tray.
>
>More magick than science, I say.

you may need to uninstall UPnP .. :-)
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:42:58 PM

imbsysop wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:44:41 -0700, "Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Terry wrote:
>>> I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously
>>> with
>>> no problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash
>>> with no warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the
>>> computer reboots. Starts all over. I get a box when the restart
>>> is
>>> complete from MS that "The system has recovered from a serious
>>> error." When I click to report the error I am directed to a
>>> website
>>> that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error caused by a device driver.
>>> This problem never existed previously and started immediately upon
>>> CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and it reported that I
>>> have the latest version of Windows with no updates available.
>>>
>>> I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does
>>> not
>>> work. I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe
>>> websites and see nothing that points me in the right direction.
>>> Has
>>> anyone else had this problem? Where do I start? I sincerely
>>> would
>>> appreciate any help. I need it. Thanks.
>>
>> I've had every PS version since 5, skipping 6, and none of them
>> through PSCS ever skipped a beat or faltered. PS CS2 has pulled a
>> couple of odd ones, but hasn't stopped altogether, yet.
>>
>> A year-and-a-half-old 3.2 Gig, 1GB 2x200MB drives, second one for
>> scratch only, so far.
>>
>> The odd bit was: I opened and browsed a couple of directories of
>> raw
>> images, picked and opened one in ACR, closed the "Bridge" and
>> worked
>> over the image. Closed the image and went to "browse" again, and
>> nothing came up. Couple-three tries and nothing. No Bridge, no
>> Browse. Hmph. Closed and reopened PS CS2. Still no joy. It would
>> open and manipulate from "Open", but no Bridge, no Browse.
>>
>> Closed PS CS2 and looked at the Task Manager: Bridge was running,
>> but
>> no indication on the taskbar. Ended Task on the Bridge.exe, and
>> nothing collapsed. Opened PS CS2 and it all came right. Three days
>> later, still no problems.
>>
>> What kind of a hiccup was that? Come to think of it, I have a
>> utility
>> (Phrase Express) that occasionally loses its tiny icon while still
>> running. If I try to restart it, it has the common decency to tell
>> me
>> there is an instance running and I'll have to close it before
>> opening
>> it. Task Manager shows it and ends it, and it then starts and
>> operates normally, and recovers its place in the tray.
>>
>> More magick than science, I say.
>
> you may need to uninstall UPnP .. :-)

My army doesn't have the vorpal equipment to do surgical strikes.
May 18, 2005 2:45:33 PM

Windows XP updated to SP2 online.
512 MB
How do I tell about the video card? I don't know.

--
"Drifter" <zespectre@askme.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:56:20 -0400, "Terry"
> <ratcafepolier@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I just received and installed PS CS2. I had used 5.0 previously with no
>>problem. Now while I am working in CS2 my computer will crash with no
>>warning. The screen on the monitor goes black and the computer reboots.
>>Starts all over. I get a box when the restart is complete from MS that
>>"The
>>system has recovered from a serious error." When I click to report the
>>error I am directed to a website that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error
>>caused by a device driver. This problem never existed previously and
>>started immediately upon CS2 installation. I went to Windows update and
>>it
>>reported that I have the latest version of Windows with no updates
>>available.
>>
>>I am so frustrated. I was so excited to get CS2 and now it does not work.
>>I do not know where to start. I checked both MS and Adobe websites and
>>see
>>nothing that points me in the right direction. Has anyone else had this
>>problem? Where do I start? I sincerely would appreciate any help. I
>>need
>>it. Thanks.
>
> A few things leap to mind.
>
> 1) what operating system (obviously Windows, which version)
> 2) How much RAM and how much free HDD space do you have?
> 3) What video card are you using and are the drivers up to date?
>
> (CS and CS2 really like that old swap drive and if you don't have
> enough room...zat.)
>

> Drifter
> "I've been here, I've been there..."
May 18, 2005 2:50:16 PM

Second suggestion for that. How do I tell what video card I have & if newer
drivers are available?

--
> Terry wrote:
>
>> I get a box when the restart is complete from MS that
>> "The
>> system has recovered from a serious error." When I click to report the
>> error I am directed to a website that says ONLINE CRASH ANALYSIS Error
>> caused by a device driver.
>
> See if there are newer drivers for your video card would be my first
> guess.
>
> --
>
> Stacey
May 18, 2005 9:33:19 PM

"Terry" <ratcafepolier@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o 5Sdne1Db9O7yxbfRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> Second suggestion for that. How do I tell what video card I have & if
newer
> drivers are available?
Right click on the desktop.
Select Display Properties
Select Settings
The box lists both monitor type and graphics card.

As for the drivers, you should get those from the manufacturer.
Jim

!