Help , severe problems ive never encountered before

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi, i've bought all brand new components and built my computer from scratch.

i use genuine windows 7 ultimate 32bit

Been sitting here for 3 days and cant figure out the problem, build over 20 computers in my days and never encountered this before, maybe a component doesnt match the others or perhaps someone is broken altho its brand new.

the problem is that i after ive installed windows and downloaded all the drivers from my hardware websites it usually takes 10-15 mins then the computer screen gets black and stays that .. never returns

when i try to reset it i have to reset it atleast 4-5 times before i even can get into windows sometimes i have to reinstall windows.

ASUS own temp sensors shows the CPU / motherboard temp is around 30 celcius but a program i use often called Speccy (www.piriform.com) shows that the motherboard temp is around 82-88 celcius.

the components are: (And remember everything is connected properly and is all brand new)

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-V (Socket 1155) (PCI-E 2.0 x16) (DDR3)

Graphics: Gainward Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1024mb (PCI-E 2.0 x16)

Processor: Intel i5 Qcore 3.1Ghz 1155

RAM: 2x2MB DDR3

Power: 500w Coolermaster.

2x 120mm fans , (1 from the side and 1 from the top + 1 chassi fan to take the warm air out.

please please help me, my brain is stuck...

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
Hi! My first look at your system, I'm assuming it's the graphics card. Even though it is new, PC parts can be DOA, so don't always rule out the possibility of bad component.
Try this to see if it helps:
Disconnect the graphics card and use the onboard graphics and see if the screen goes black. If it doesn't then chances are, it's the graphics card, otherwise, it's another component.

Say it does go blank again with onboard, in that case, get memtest and check if the memory modules are good, if they are, move on.

Also, when the screen goes blank, is the computer still on? or does the computer just shut off? If it shuts off, then it's unlikely to be a gfx card problem and more likely to be either a motherboard or power supply problem. In that case, try to get another power supply to the computer with.

If that mobo temp is real, then you have a northbridge cooling problem.
If possible, you could re-seat the heatsink using some good thermal paste and ensuring the cooling fan is working, as well (if it has one on the chipset).

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
I really doubt the motherboard could have heated that high in temperatures...If you're not sure, open your computer and touch the motherboard, because 88C is almost enough to boil water!

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
in BIOS and in ASUS suite the motherboard temp is 29 celcius. so speccy doesnt show the right info since the motherboard is cool to touch.

im now trying without grapich card to see if that helps, i have a SAPPHIRE RADEON HD6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.1 in my other computer, but that wont work (If this is the problem) since its 2.1 and the motherboard only accepts 2.0 right ?

no the computer is still running but the screen goes black

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
No the radeon 6870 will work. PCIe 2.1 is backwards compatible with 2.0.
Now, I'm assuming it's the motherboard...although I'm not positive. Try running memtest...the worst that will happen is you RMAing the motherboard and CPU

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

aight will do that in a minute ill post a reply in 5

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
ìve tested the GTX 560 ti with one of my comps and it works properly so we can exclude that one.
im now doin a mem test

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
my first thought was the graphics card because the problems described sounded like a graphics card problem (No video, power is on), and since you tried the onboard video and the problem still persisted, then it's obviously something that isn't the graphics card because onboard and discrete are totally different. I personally think it's either the RAM or the Motherboard because CPUs normally don't give trouble.

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

ive got 2 bluescreens , i can post the dumps from Bluescreenveiw, hold on a sec

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
The mem test shows no inications of damaged RAMs or errors, so the conclusion would be the MB then right ? how sure can i be ?

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
CPU: Highly unlikely although could happen...

Graphics: Probably not, you already tested.

MoBo: Highest chance to be source of problem

PSU: Doesn't really affect what we're trying to figure out.

HDD: Failure signs aren't really what you describe it as....ruled out

RAM: Just used memtest...should be ok...

So, we're at the conclusion of either the motherboard or the CPU...my money is on the motherboard since the CPU rarely come defective.

mxhmk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Thank you for your help, i will complaint this to my E-shop and refer to all these tests and conclusions.

ill post a reply when i get my new MoBo .

cheers!