Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I3 2100 with gtx 560 ti VS i5 2500k with HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2011 10:39:27 AM

Hi!

I am building my first new rig for gaming purposes mostly. I dont require 3d services or any other developer work on it.
Also I hav a 22" monitor which is the main reason I am considering the above comparision.

My ques. is : What is preferable ??
An i3 2100 (3.1 GHZ) with the raw power of zotac gtx 560 ti 1gb ddr5
OR
An i5 2500k (3.3 GHz) with an HD 6870

Budget is an important consideration. :( 

I am planning on getting modern warfare 3 and already have games like assaassins creed 1,2,3 , crysis 1,2 , etc.

The sole cause of including the i3 is tht intel is coming up with the ivy bridge which is backwards compatible.
So, i was thinking tht maybe in 1.5-2 yrs, when my i3 is obsolete for gaming, I coud switch to a more powerful i5 ivy.

And if i3, what mobo 2 go with it??

Thx in advance!
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 11:09:16 AM

Well the 560 Ti is just a tiny bit faster than the 6870 anyway, and the i5 is much faster than the i3 in most games. Not really a hard decision.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 11:22:07 AM

“Women are nothing but machines for producing children.” ???

( some ) Men are nothing but machines for producing stupid remarks ? What a stupid statement. Think it's against Toms forum rules actually.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2011 5:23:04 PM

@robjordy, these r not my words, Napoleon said 'em. I just found 'em funny. If ur feminist blood boils faster than ur funny bone tickles, I'll withdraw it, no harm done!!

and @eyefinity, well, ok, an i5 2500k - done!!

But which mobo is ideal and affordable for it?? i am looking at ASRock ryt now and man its good!
But I am again stuck b/w p67 and z68 chipset. it says both are OCable!!! So what 2 prefer?? z68 is bout 20$ expensive , so is it worth it??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 6:47:31 PM

The 2500K seems too be the better option when paired with the 6870.
The cpu will last longer than the GPU as it always does.
m
l
November 29, 2011 6:52:36 PM

i have both of those i5 2500k and 2 x 6870 CF
look at Asus or Gigabyte and get the "Z" for it's overclockablitiy..........
H......no good at OC
P......good for OC the cpu
Z......good for OC the cpu/ good for OC the gpu
m
l
November 29, 2011 7:15:10 PM

Well if your going to be upgrading your motherboard make sure you get a GEN 3 board. Otherwise you won't be able to fully utilize the power of Ivy Bridge and PCIe 3.0.

I just bought this motherboard for my new 2600k build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am not sure whether I can recommend that CPU over 2500k because I haven't researched it. But honestly if you got that motherboard I listed above with a 2500k AND the gtx 560 ti, you probably won't even need to upgrade to Ivy Bridge for years.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 7:20:53 PM

With either cpu, the graphics card is more likely to be the limiting factor.
In this case, the GTX560ti is slightly better than the 6870.

But, you should be pleased with either approach.

The 2100 is a surprisingly capable gaming cpu.
The following article tests several <$200 cpu's in gaming, using a GTX480(about equal to a GTX560ti)
You can see what to expect if you go that route:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

If you plan on a ivy bridge or 2500K upgrade in the future, get a motherboard based on a P67 or Z68 chip. That will allow you to overclock.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 7:36:37 PM

What are you using now?

What is the quality of your gaming experience today and where do you want to take it?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 4:43:45 AM

Aha, Napaoleon, well didn't he had syffilus or something ? Crazy man, Napoleon. Sad ending though.

I'm no feminist by the way, just like to b.tch sometimes :D  I'm maybe more like a devils advocate. ( and women are the devil ! ) :pfff:  :heink: 

I do like the new statement better though. NEVER doubt yourself ! :lol: 
m
l
November 30, 2011 9:39:45 AM

@robjordy, I know napoleon was a crazy short biatch, but the kid had some good lines! :-DDD but dont blame the women (its 'gainst the forum rules I think :-p).

btw, so i think an ASRock z68 pro3 gen3 might suffice my needs.

The problem is my resolution. I actually live in India, and thus am not being able 2 reap the benefits of online shopping. (sigh :'-(
getting a stutter free gaming experience at high settings in all the games is my major aim. 1920X1080 is a GPU hogger, and kills most of the GPU's I've seen.

I am lil tight on budget, and I read reviews of i3 at toms and other sites tht i3 is capable for high settings. but whether or not it's capable for a 1080p res is the main question.

@geofelt's link to toms benches are making me lean towards i3. Should I go with it??

m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 3:09:44 PM

In your first post, you express interest in an Ivy Bridge upgrade down the road. My gut tells me if you had a i5-2500k now, you wouldn't need Ivy Bridge later. On the other hand, the 2500k would certainly retain a lot more value over time than the i3, when it came time to unload it and upgrade.

For me personally, ever since purchasing the Q6600 back in 2007, I had kind of told myself, nothing but another quad core would do it for me in a main rig.

I'm going to vote for the i5 because the power's there for a long time to come. The resale value will be better down the road. I just recently sold a gtx 570 here on Tom's for $200 to a nice guy in Guam. Have you considered second-hand graphics? You can get a lot more power for less. Sure its more of a gamble, but you can lessen the risk by doing the homework and checking up on people.
m
l

Best solution

a c 275 U Graphics card
November 30, 2011 5:12:19 PM

@gam0reily

Your original post posed a good question, namely the balance between the cpu and graphics.
The answers are close, depending on how graphics intensive your intended games are, and how many threads they can use.
If you will play one game exclusively, then look for benchmarks for that game.
If you value higher settings and eye candy, then tilt toward the graphics end.
If you get the 2120($5 more than the 2100) you will have the same clock rate as the stock 2500K.
In addition, you will have two extra hyperthreads which the 2500K does not have.
If you get the 2500K, I think it unlikely that you would want to upgrade to ivy bridge in April 2012.

With a 2500K, it would be a shame to not overclock. The stock cooler is OK to oc up to a point, but I would get an aftermarket cooler up front.
A Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper212 is only $30, and is a lot easier to install than the stock Intel cooler.
There is no wrong choice, and either approach will still give you a very good gaming result.

How many motherboard slots will you use? I am guessing only the pcie-X16 slot for the graphics card.
A M-ATX motherboard will have 4 slots and be less expensive, you can get one for <$100.
Here is the lowest priced one I can find, and it happens to be Z68 based for $90:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is less expensive, in part, because it only has two ram slots. If you are good with 8gb, then that is not a real negative.
If you wish to defer your graphics card for a bit, the Z68 and integrated graphics will get you going.
That will give you time to assess your needs, and do some shopping.

December 1, 2011 8:52:10 AM

@geofelt, I found the following on newegg -
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 - 115$

ASRock z68 pro3 - 115$

ASRock z68 pro3M - 110$

I found 'em suited 2 my budget.
My question is - What r the essential differences in getting any 1 of them??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 9:58:56 AM

Op what is your native resolution? At higher resolutions the cpu is less of a factor and the pc with the better gpu will give you better performance.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 7:28:51 PM

gam0reily said:

ASRock z68 pro3 - 115$

ASRock z68 pro3M - 110$

The ASRock z68 pro3M is a micro-ATX motherboard. It has 4 expansion slots.
The ASRock z68 pro3 is a full atx with 7 expansion slots.
The ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 is also full atx, and a newer generation which has a pci-e 3.0 slot. Newegg is in err, I think in that it does not list support for unlocked "K" processors.
The Asus web site seems to contradict that, along with reviewers.
If you like small cases and don't need many expansion slots past the graphics card, then the m-atx will be fine. I happen to prefer that and small cases.
m
l
a c 275 U Graphics card
December 1, 2011 7:29:52 PM

gam0reily said:

ASRock z68 pro3 - 115$

ASRock z68 pro3M - 110$

The ASRock z68 pro3M is a micro-ATX motherboard. It has 4 expansion slots.
The ASRock z68 pro3 is a full atx with 7 expansion slots.
The ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 is also full atx, and a newer generation which has a pci-e 3.0 slot. Newegg is in err, I think in that it does not list support for unlocked "K" processors.
The Asus web site seems to contradict that, along with reviewers.
If you like small cases and don't need many expansion slots past the graphics card, then the m-atx will be fine. I happen to prefer that and small cases.
m
l
December 2, 2011 10:53:58 AM

@gnomio, my native res. is - 1920X1080 :-D

@geofelt, tough titties, just found out tht ASRock is not available in my regional stores. And online pricing in my country is way off.
I am gonna hunt for biostar now. If i find a z68 or p67 on that, I'll bite it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2011 2:44:40 PM

gam0reily said:
@gnomio, my native res. is - 1920X1080 :-D

@geofelt,
tough titties, just found out tht ASRock is not available in my regional stores. And online pricing in my country is way off.
I am gonna hunt for
biostar now. If i find a z68 or p67 on that, I'll bite it.

I haven't heard "tough titties" in a long long time. I believe Tom's has given the biostars the thumbs up. So have many of its members. Get what you can get there.
m
l
December 3, 2011 11:58:21 AM

@clonazepam, just saw "Tropic Thunder" a week before, and was reminded of tht phrase :-DDDDD
m
l
December 31, 2011 11:59:25 AM

Best answer selected by gam0reily.
m
l
!