Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need a UPS badly now, help plz

Last response: in Components
May 12, 2012 1:49:58 PM

Hello all, ok so long story short, ive been having some real bad luck with loosing work due to power failures and constant power fluctuations amongst other things etc and so , it was heavily suggested to me to get a UPS for my workstation and ive considered them before but theyre kind of pricey. but now its affected me to the point of work suffering (im a web dev) so yes im prepared to purchase one ASAP. Especially in FLA rainy season..its driving me nuts.

somewhere on here and on other forums, people have suggested going to a site called APC (so i assume theyre go0d)

my question is this, ....well this is my setup as a whole. can anyone tell me what type of UPS (as far as power/wattage) i need/should get. budget is um....i mean i NEED to get one and i WILL but...i need something mid range. i dont need the best, nor want the worse/cheapest....something in the middle is fine. i just need something that when the power suddenly goes out or pauses, leaves, then comes back etc...that i can keep working or at the very least, give me enough time to save.

Also, can any UPS work or???? can i go to say best buy and get any one? depending on the power?
anyways, here's my custom setup:

- ASUS Crosshair formula IV motherboard
-AMD phenom II black edi. quad core @ 3.4ghz.
- OCZ 90gig SSD (forget the type) (boot drive)
- 1 TB HDD(internal)
- 1 600 gig HDD(internal)
- 1 1.5 TB HDD(internal)
- 16g of kingston RAM
- Nvidia GTX 470
- Nvidia GTX GT 430 (secondary)
- H50 PSU cooler.
- Canon USB powered scanner. (power drawn from this i assume is minimal)
- G15 keyboard (power drawn from this i assume is minimal)
- Wacom usb based drawing tablet (power drawn from this i assume is minimal)
-750w corair PSU

Thanks for any help provided in advanced.

More about : ups badly plz

Best solution

May 12, 2012 2:11:44 PM

This one should work perfectly for you and its on sale right now with $40 off and free shipping. The free shipping is a huge plus because these things are pretty heavy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you cant wait for shipping Best buy also has almost the exact same one for about the same price. (I'd make sure they have it in stock locally though)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC+-+Back-UPS+XS+1500+VA+T...

You can run your tower, monitor, internet modem/router and any other accessories you have on it. The non essential things like the scanner you can plug in under the non battery backup side and they will get surge protection only. This will save some time when under battery run. Under non gaming usage you will prob get 20+ mins on battery. Plenty of time to save your work and shut down without needing to rush. Last outage I had lasted for 3 hours and I shut my PC down right away and continued to use my Ipad, (my modem/router are on the battery back up) for the whole outage with no problem. Its nice still having internet for hours even when the power is out.

$200 is a steal for the protection and service these units will offer you. It will last you for a very long time, through many new PC's. Like I said in another post, I've had mine (similar to that one I linked above) for over 7 yrs and only last year did i have to change the battery. Worth every penny and more.
May 12, 2012 2:29:59 PM

Thank you again for your succinct and fast reply. going to bestbuy RIGHT NOW!
Related resources
May 12, 2012 2:30:06 PM

Best answer selected by somdow.
May 12, 2012 2:32:12 PM

Good luck!
!