Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • EVGA
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2011 1:06:18 PM

Hi,

I have just setup my first SLI. I have an Asus P6x58d-e, core i7 950, and a Evga stock GTX580 and a MSI TF GTX 580.

When I look at CPU-Z it show this as my clock speeds:

GPU1 (Evga)
Core: 50 MHz
Shaders: 101 MHz
Memory: 135MHz

GPU2 (MSI)
Core: 772 MHz
Shaders: 1544 MHz
Memory: 2004 MHz

Shouldn't they both be reading around the same as GPU 2? or is this normal for an SLI setup?

More about : sli gpu clock speeds

a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 1:10:18 PM

If this is at idle it would seem that the second card is not dropping into 2D mode. Have you tried swapping the cards around?
Score
November 29, 2011 1:19:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
If this is at idle it would seem that the second card is not dropping into 2D mode. Have you tried swapping the cards around?

Well, here's the story. I just changed them around. But the Evga was giving the same clock speeds in the first setup as well.

I initially had the MSI as GPU1 in the first PICE slot, and EVGA as GPU2 in PCIE slot 2. I was getting some high temps on the MSI, so I wanted to move the second card to the third PCIE slot. The EVGA wouldn't fit in the third slot, because of some connections on the MB. But the MSI fits there.

All that said, the clock speeds never changed for the EVGA.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 1:35:58 PM

Use GPU-Z. CPU-z never made sense to me on video info.
Score
November 29, 2011 1:38:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Your point is valid, but in this case, there seems to be an order of magnitude difference between the clocks on the 2 GPUs. I don't think GPUs slow their clocks that much, would you agree?
Score
November 29, 2011 2:39:41 PM

I just got GPU-Z. It's saying the same thing for clock speeds on the evga. Any other suggestions?
Score
Anonymous
November 29, 2011 2:58:19 PM

maybe the evga card is in rest mode and msi card is working.
if it is sli , it shouldnt have diff clocks.
first thing is why get 2 different 580s
if u want to cfx/sli always choose the very same card and make.
try benchmarking
Score
November 29, 2011 2:58:55 PM

I just ran Modern Warfare 3 for a bit. My GPU1(evga) usage was steady at about 10%. The other one was at about 70%.

There is something wrong here. It was working fine before I swithched em
Score
November 29, 2011 3:01:54 PM

Anonymous said:
maybe the evga card is in rest mode and msi card is working.
if it is sli , it shouldnt have diff clocks.
first thing is why get 2 different 580s
if u want to cfx/sli always choose the very same card and make.
try benchmarking

Everything that I read before I purchased my second card said it made no difference if the cards weren't exact. Must have the same amount of memory, that's it. the nvidia site said the same.

If the card is in rest mode, how do I get it out?
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 4:05:50 PM

arunphilip said:
Your point is valid, but in this case, there seems to be an order of magnitude difference between the clocks on the 2 GPUs. I don't think GPUs slow their clocks that much, would you agree?

My GTX560's do.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 4:43:28 PM

Do you have 3D enabled in Nvidia control panel? SLI set?
Score
November 29, 2011 4:46:30 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Do you have 3D enabled in Nvidia control panel? SLI set?

Yes. Most definitely.

When I changed the GPU configuration, i switched from a 2way bridge to a 3way bridge, because the 2way wasn't long enough. Should that matter? I thought not.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 4:50:17 PM

gghilliard said:
Yes. Most definitely.

When I changed the GPU configuration, i switched from a 2way bridge to a 3way bridge, because the 2way wasn't long enough. Should that matter? I thought not.

It does if it means that the cards are not in the correct slots for 2-way SLi.
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 4:53:46 PM

^+1
Score
November 29, 2011 5:00:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It does if it means that the cards are not in the correct slots for 2-way SLi.

Thnaks,

anymore ideas about the clock speeds? I was having that problem before I changed the bridge
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 5:05:57 PM

gghilliard said:
Thnaks,

anymore ideas about the clock speeds? I was having that problem before I changed the bridge

What is 'Power management' set to in the Nv control panel?

How many monitors are you using?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 5:27:45 PM

With SLI disabled, I report at idle one card at 405mhz, and the other 2 at 51mhz. With sli enabled, I report all 3 cards at 405mhz.

I use msi afterburner because gpu-z was reporting the 3D profile's clock speed and not actual speed while idle at the desktop.
November 29, 2011 8:21:12 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What is 'Power management' set to in the Nv control panel?

How many monitors are you using?

I am using 2 monitors, but not for gaming.

I don't see "power management" in nvidia control panel??
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 8:27:24 PM

How are the monitors connected? Both in one card or one to each? And is the idle speed still high on one card if you only have one monitor connected?
Score
November 29, 2011 8:41:06 PM

Mousemonkey said:
How are the monitors connected? Both in one card or one to each? And is the idle speed still high on one card if you only have one monitor connected?

The monitors are one in each card. When I disconnected my second monitor, the idle speed of the second card dropped. Now both of the cards idle the same. But I never had this problem before I changed the power supply today.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 8:44:48 PM

gghilliard said:
The monitors are one in each card. When I disconnected my second monitor, the idle speed of the second card dropped. Now both of the cards idle the same. But I never had this problem before I changed the power supply today.

I've read that having two monitors plugged into a single card stops the card from dropping into a low power state, so that might have more to do with it than your PSU but I don't know for sure.
Score
November 29, 2011 8:49:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I've read that having two monitors plugged into a single card stops the card from dropping into a low power state, so that might have more to do with it than your PSU but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for all the help.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 8:50:12 PM

NP.
Score
December 6, 2011 2:29:37 AM

Best answer selected by gghilliard.
Score
!