Sign in with
Your question

Need Help With NVIDIA GPU's Errors & 3 Monitor Frenzy. REWARD!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2011 2:28:54 PM

**I am pretty techy and good at following instructions. Who ever's advice I follow the most that helps me, I will paypal a reward to whom ever helps me the most! You guys know more then the geek squad!**

Thank you so much in advance!!

Specs
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
RAM: 4.00GB
GPU: NVIDIA Ge Force 9600 GT & NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

MY Situation
I just got rid of my old 2 monitors and purchased 3 ASUS VS247 Monitors and
installed a NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS Card so I can run a 3rd monitor.

What's Making Me Crazy
1. After endless researching, I can't use 'NVIDIA Control Panel Application'
It always gives me the following error... (3.9.731.0 has stopped working - Problem Event Name: BEX | Data execution Prevention Has Closed NVIDIA Control Panel)
update: I ended up uninstalling the graphics display drivers under 'device manager' and then vista automatically installed NVIDIA when I rebooted. This is now working, however, my computer is not picking up my other graphics card as of now. However, I When trying to intall NVIDIA graphics driver manually, I was getting this message: 'graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware.'

2. The One That Annoys Me The Most : Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered - Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. **This happens frequently. It's not that it shutdowns completely. My screen just goes black and then recovers and does it again every 5 - 10 minutes. It mainly happens when watching Videos (YouTube, DirectTV, Flash).

What Are The Issues?
-I have no interest in gaming and just need the real estate of having a 3rd display. Watching Streaming Videos/Youtube/direcTV will be the extent of high gpu usage.
-Have I created a bottleneck? Do I need to look into overclocking? Is my CPU sufficient enough?
-If you need more of a diagnosis, please let me know what settings to look at or what logs to create!

Thanks again and appreciate any input!
November 29, 2011 2:56:07 PM

1. What OS are you running?
2. Make sure you can run the program as administrator.
3. Try this link
particularly the part about adding programs to the exception list.
November 29, 2011 3:42:42 PM

georgefrommanagement said:
1. What OS are you running? VISTA
2. Make sure you can run the program as administrator. HAVE BEEN DOING THAT
3. Try this link
particularly the part about adding programs to the exception list.
THANKS
Related resources
November 29, 2011 5:00:26 PM

Wow! I think I fixed it! No more updating nvidia drivers. The older one is working now.
November 29, 2011 5:24:30 PM

your cpu wont and ram WONT bottleneck those ..I would be more interested to know what kind of Motherboard you have, or is this in like a Dell or HP kind of box. and that is kind of an odd combination of Video cards ..kind of curious what your using that kind of setup for ..you said watching youtube etc ..but alomst seems like for a 3 monitor setup are you do Stocks or huge multiple Spreadsheets or PhotoEditing ? and on Vista Home installing the right drivers is gonna be a bit of tricky pain
December 20, 2011 12:09:40 AM

There's a gimmick in the driver now that will slow down your video card if it goes over a certain temp. It takes a registry change to modify this. Changing it on my machine caused this to quit after a couple of reboots. I've forgotten the registry key I had to add though, sry.
!