Is an intel i7 the best cpu for gaming?

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys. i wanted to know is an intel i7 the best processor for gaming and are those AMD's new FX cpu's good enough to take on an intel i7 or they still struggle to beat an intel i5?

Solution
The i5 is the preferred CPU for games over the i7 because games do not take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), so why pay the extra $$ if it's something that is not going to be used? Also, benchmarks have shown that HT reduces game performance by 1% or 2%.

Generally speaking, the higher the resolution, the more performance is dependent on the GPU rather than the CPU. At 1920x1080 resolution or higher most CPUs would provide about the same performance level, unless the game is CPU dependent as well; such as Skyrim.

However, you should look at benchmarks to make your own decision; like the following...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_4.html#sect0
The i5 is the preferred CPU for games over the i7 because games do not take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), so why pay the extra $$ if it's something that is not going to be used? Also, benchmarks have shown that HT reduces game performance by 1% or 2%.

Generally speaking, the higher the resolution, the more performance is dependent on the GPU rather than the CPU. At 1920x1080 resolution or higher most CPUs would provide about the same performance level, unless the game is CPU dependent as well; such as Skyrim.

However, you should look at benchmarks to make your own decision; like the following...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_4.html#sect0

Solution

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

i see that AMD's cpu's are still getting torn apart by the intel i5 2500k

checkoutmyYT

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
i have an asus Intel Core i7-4700HQ Quad-Core Processor, 12GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 8.1 and i have tryed AMD's cpu and in 2 weeks it just crashed HARD so use 1500 or lower if you want amd's cpu