Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help me Help my Hubby

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2012 5:34:35 AM

Really could use some insight guys. Want to get my husband a new CPU in the 1-1.1k price range. Read a few of the forum topics and have come up with this assortment.

*BASE_PRICE: [+849]
BLUETOOTH: None
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CAS: Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [-10]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
ENGRAVING: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo Gaming Cooling Fan [+4]
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_VC1: FREE Game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution [+0]
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+3] (Kingston HyperX [+16])
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu, Intel SRT, UEFI & 7.1 THX TruStudio Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI [+68]
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: * 750 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+83]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOFT1: Free Microsoft® Office® 2010 STARTER EDITION (Reduced-Functionality versions of Word and Excel that include advertising) [+0]
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+26]
This comes up to $1058ish. Basically just want him to have something that he can play star wars on thats better than his 6 year old warcraft setup. I'm pregnant with our first child and want him to enjoy his last few months of freedom I really don't understand the difference in all the cases aside from the way they look. Is one better than the other? That and the power supply, is there any point to getting a bigger one the way this is setup? Graphics card wise, I know he talked to someone who plays on the radeon one b/c I wrote it down but whats the difference between that one and the Geforce 550 or 560.. and what makes the Ti ones more expensive? Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

More about : hubby

Best solution

January 29, 2012 5:50:18 AM

You did really good with that build. Do not worry about the case that one will do fine. The power supply is also just fine and leaves him some headroom to upgrade in the future.

The HD 6850 is not a weak graphics card but not a really strong one either. The 550 is roughly equal to the 6850 but the 560 TI is a decent step up. If it does not break the bank go with the 560 Ti as it will be more futureproof. If not the HD 6850 will be a giant step up from anything 6 years old.

Congratulations on the first kid! And tell him he is a lucky guy to have a wife who gives him a new computer :) 
January 29, 2012 6:02:20 AM

agree with anort. As I was reading the components I was thinking this is a pretty good build for someone who needs help.

If your husband is a tweaker or an overclocker you might want to opt for the i52500k for the cpu is it is not prohibitively expensive.

In terms of gpu the ti version of the 560 is more expensive due to it being a better card. to make things more confusion there are two different versions of the 560 tis.

the power supply is good, However, if you do not think he will add another 6870 you won't need that large of wattage. A good 550 watt psu will be more than enough.

He will be very pleased with this setup as is and it will be able to run most modern game at medium to high settings.

Score
Related resources
January 29, 2012 6:13:31 AM

Thanks Guys!! :D 
Score
January 29, 2012 6:15:15 AM

IS your husband planning to overclock the CPU? If no, then you won't need such a good cooler, get the 212 +. If he is going to OC get the i5-2500k
Score
January 29, 2012 7:45:36 PM

Best answer selected by LegoMyPreggo.
Score
January 29, 2012 10:55:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!