Sign in with
Your question

CPU Motherboard Compatibility

Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2012 6:42:04 PM

I am new here, and am not trying to steal your thread, but i am having similar problems with my build. I have a new Intel dg43gt MB with a core 2 duo cpu. My power supply is a Corsair VX 550W. My RAM is Nvidia SLI ready 800 fsb DDR2 2Gigs each. My Graphics Card is GeForce 7900gs. I went to the Intel site to look up compatible processors for the dg43gt MB. I see there is a big list and would like to upgrade to a Core 2 Quad processor. Is there any thing in my PC that would have a problem with this new processor?

The reason I would like to do this is when I upgraded my MB and put my old Core 2 Duo processor in with (no compatibility numbers on it) :non:  (IE.... 6 years old Intel chip) It now turns on with the PS switch(Not The Front Power Button) for 6 seconds, turns off for about 3 seconds, then comes back on with everything working smooth including all fans,MB has 1 light in the corner, BUT ......... no screen and no beep.
All I get on monitor is an amber screen. When I turn the power on and off, it says "video input no signal" :? :(  :( . Tried taking my video card out and use onboard video, But NO. :non: 
Here's the million dollar question : If my old pcu is not compatible with this new "upgrade board", Would This Be Causing All Of These Problems? Yes, I put Ceramique 2 by Arctic Silver as ordered by Intel by the directions. Nothing is getting hot at all.
Please help. Anyone. This is so frustrating.

a b à CPUs
May 12, 2012 6:56:01 PM

Why did you "upgrade" the motherboard?

Which C2D are we talking about?

Where are you going to get a C2Q? Used?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2012 7:05:31 PM

How is your RAM Sli ready, SLI is for GPUs?
* If the motherboard is all you've changed then it probably is incompatibility of some sort
* as general advice I'd just get a cheap Intel H77 (or H61) motherboard and an i3 2120 or i5 of some sort depending on budget and that would be better than almost any core2 CPU (depending on which one you got)
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2012 1:57:25 AM

The RAM says SLI Ready from Nvidia. The thick RAM. I don't know why they put that on the cards. My Motherboard was not starting up after a while. Blue screen of death also. "Hardware Malfunction See your system admin."Could have been the CPU all along. Everything passed a few stress tests including Prime 95, but kept getting worse with shutting off till it would not even boot anymore. Wanted to upgrade the MB and be able to keep my RAM, and Graphics card. Then A CPU If I needed to. Custom Computer from 6 years ago. Old MB was ECS N-Force 570 SLIT-A.
My Question now is can I put any chip on the list that Intel supplies for that MB "DG43GT". My Memory as stated is 800FSB DDR2 with an Nvidia GeForce 7900gs video card.
Can I go to a Core 2 Quad if the Intel list says the CPU is compatible with no problems? The C2Q would be refurbished with warranty.
Thank you in advance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2012 3:09:45 PM

Sorry but if you can't answer my first questions, I can't help you.

If your trying to use a C2D that isn't on the support list, of course it won't work, but you fail to answer the question about WHICH C2D your talking about.

I doubt there was anything wrong with your old mobo, you should come here for troubleshooting before you randomly start replacing components, now you still don't know what the problem is.

Just because a cpu support list says it supports C2Q Q9500 for example, does not mean it will just work. You may need an older cpu to update the bios first, before you install the new chip. The list will tell you what bios you need for each cpu.
m
l
May 13, 2012 4:41:32 PM

How can I update the Bios when the old MB or Processor quit working, and the new one wont boot???? I explained that pretty well. I troubleshot down to the MB or CPU the first time and figured I might as well upgrade the MB and CPU, and if I need a CPU then so be it. I was just asking if the Memory which is supported by the DG43GT board, could interfere with the processor. I doubt it, but just asking.
Thanks for your answer, but I was not just swapping out parts like a knuckle head, especially since I never wanted a dead CPU or MB anyway. I looked all over to upgrade the Bios on my old MB but the only link on the internet was out of business. No one else supports it anymore. Thats why I swapped the board in the first place. Then obviously need a compatible CPU now for my new board. I was hoping my old chip since it was an LGA775 socket, and fit would work since I dont have the money to have 2 or 3 more PC's to swap parts with. Just because people are on here to get help from others does not mean they are ignorant to PC's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 13, 2012 5:25:43 PM

You can't. I was just telling you that's the only way.

You still failed to answer the question. If you can't answer my questions, I can't help you.

Good luck.
m
l
May 13, 2012 5:36:15 PM

The processor did not have any relevent number on it like...... E8500 etc......
Where the # should be like the newer ones. There is not one, it is blank.
All the # on the list start with E for core 2 duo anyways. Mine would not be compatible. No other # on the chip is on the list.
Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 4:57:19 PM

I would think that you would at least know what cpu you bought......you used it right? You don't even know what speed it is? Is it 65nm or 45nm?
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
May 14, 2012 5:05:32 PM

Curt_13 said:
The processor did not have any relevent number on it like...... E8500 etc......
Where the # should be like the newer ones. There is not one, it is blank.
All the # on the list start with E for core 2 duo anyways. Mine would not be compatible. No other # on the chip is on the list.
Thanks

You can download CPU-z and that will give you everything you could possibly want to know about your CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 14, 2012 9:16:16 PM

rds1220 said:
You can download CPU-z and that will give you everything you could possibly want to know about your CPU.

How is he going to download cpu-z if the computer won't boot? :sleep: 
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
May 14, 2012 11:04:20 PM

O yea I forgot he couldn't get it to boot. No kidding it would be hard to download CPU-z if he can't even get into the computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2012 7:32:45 PM

lol, your forgiven.
m
l
!