Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wait for Ivy bridge or Piledriver?

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2012 9:05:43 AM

I would like to thank the community for answering my last question so fast but, now I have another. I do want to make the purchase of the PC at $1500 with an i7 2600k and a Radeon HD 7970 BUT people have been telling me to wait for Intel's Ivy bridge or AMD's Piledriver. As well as the release of Windows 8. If I wait for the release will the price of my build sky rocket, or will it be around the same price? (buying from ibuypower or cyberpower since building it would be more expensive)

Best solution

January 29, 2012 9:24:46 AM

Letting a 3rd party build your pc is never less expensive. They might use inferior parts in every single section that isn't implicitly stated otherwise, which typically is considerable, that however is just a reflection of their indifference to quality.

With that being said, it's impossible to know, but pc parts tend to have negative pricing trends over time, not the other way around. CPUs tend to stay pretty consistent in their prices, but I'd imagine the prices of the 7970 and 7950 will drop once Kepler hits.

If you're expecting Piledriver to be a major boost over current BD FX processors I wouldn't hold my breath. AMD has already stated their aiming for 10-15% increase while Windows 8 has only produced about 8% increases in BD. The bottom line is it's still going to be vastly inferior to Intel's offerings.

Also the concept of waiting for the next big thing is a revolving door in pc buying. There's always going to be something just around the corner you could wait on. IB isn't going to be a massive jump over SB. It's a die shrink which will allow for a little more overclocking room, less heat, perhaps lower tdps and a new ondie hardware RNG. Nothing to get all that excited about.

If you want or need pci-e 3.0 you can get it now with LGA2011. The 3820 will ship Feb 13th and it'll be less expensive than the 2600k currently is and should be very competitive based on what kind of motherboard configuration you're currently considering. This is the only thing in the near future I'd deem worthy of waiting for.
January 29, 2012 9:31:11 AM

the price will be the same, the current generation will drop prices a little.
what will be the main use of the computer?, the hd7970 indicates gaming.

i will buy a new computer in june/july when the school is over.
pd: i don't recommend the i7 unless you will do video edition the the i5-2500k or iv i5-3500k is a better option
Related resources
January 29, 2012 10:04:01 AM

a4mula said:
Letting a 3rd party build your pc is never less expensive. They might use inferior parts in every single section that isn't implicitly stated otherwise, which typically is considerable, that however is just a reflection of their indifference to quality.

With that being said, it's impossible to know, but pc parts tend to have negative pricing trends over time, not the other way around. CPUs tend to stay pretty consistent in their prices, but I'd imagine the prices of the 7970 and 7950 will drop once Kepler hits.

If you're expecting Piledriver to be a major boost over current BD FX processors I wouldn't hold my breath. AMD has already stated their aiming for 10-15% increase while Windows 8 has only produced about 8% increases in BD. The bottom line is it's still going to be vastly inferior to Intel's offerings.

Also the concept of waiting for the next big thing is a revolving door in pc buying. There's always going to be something just around the corner you could wait on. IB isn't going to be a massive jump over SB. It's a die shrink which will allow for a little more overclocking room, less heat, perhaps lower tdps and a new ondie hardware RNG. Nothing to get all that excited about.

If you want or need pci-e 3.0 you can get it now with LGA2011. The 3820 will ship Feb 13th and it'll be less expensive than the 2600k currently is and should be very competitive based on what kind of motherboard configuration you're currently considering. This is the only thing in the near future I'd deem worthy of waiting for.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know to much about computers and would definitely love to spend less on a PC than what I am currently seeing on ibuypower/cyberpower. The only issue I have is building it and the parts.(buying the wrong part..etc) I do not want to mess anything up with the money I am putting down. My friend complied a list of parts for me, not to long ago. It included an i5 2500 and a gtx 560 for $1300(before adding taxes, shipping..etc). For the same price I could get an i7 2600k and a gtx580(on cyberpower/ibuypower with OS and shipping included). Which is why I thought it would be cheaper to go with. If it is cheaper I will build it myself but seeing multiple list complied by my friends is not helping. I still hear there's a risk when ordering a prebuilt with overheating, motherboard, power supplies, water cooling..etc This is where I also have an issue. I don't know what it is I am doing when making the build on these websites. So I am very nervous to push forward and make any purchases on both parts or pre-built. I currently have $1600 to my disposal but with the build I have, I can't even buy a monitor. (I do have a 24inch LEDHDTV I can use) The reason why I want the 2600k and 7970 (or GTX590) is because I want to create animations, edit videos, render 3d environments, and of course gaming. I was thinking of just going with the gtx 580 1 or 3gb for now so I can get a monitor as well but I honestly do not know what to do. I'm to nervous to make the purchase on a site without a pro overseeing my configuration or building it without proper knowledge. I need serious help.
January 29, 2012 10:08:01 AM

illusiongamer12 said:
the price will be the same, the current generation will drop prices a little.
what will be the main use of the computer?, the hd7970 indicates gaming.

i will buy a new computer in june/july when the school is over.
pd: i don't recommend the i7 unless you will do video edition the the i5-2500k or iv i5-3500k is a better option

That sounds pretty good then. Better tech for the same price.
The main use will be rendering 3D environments and gaming.
I was originally going to get the i5 or an FX but after doing some research the i7 is better for video editing like you said.
January 29, 2012 10:39:16 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/

Decent tool for finding the best price while also keeping you from picking incompatible parts for the most part. I would suggest running your build back by the forum before you decide however.
January 29, 2012 11:12:21 AM

CPU power is becoming less and less important for games. I wouldn't bother waiting for Ivy Bridge. Current offerings from Intel are ridiculously overpowered already. One thing that I would want though is PCI-e 3.0. That will allow you to efficiently upgrade your GPU 2 years down the road. So, if you really want a system right now, go ahead and get an LGA2011 system. Otherwise, wait for Ivy Bridge.
October 25, 2012 11:11:53 AM

Best answer selected by uploadcomplete.
!