HD 4890 Crossfired Question

nodnarb

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
My PSU only has 2 6-pin connectors, however i have 1 molex to 6-pin adapter, will i be able to just have 1 6-pin on my second card without overclocking with no problems? My other option is to upgrade my PSU as it is only 600w (780W Peak).

Helltech

Distinguished
Oh yeah, no offence dude but I wouldn't trust that PSU personally. Now I'm not going to say its horrid, or that it won't work. I can't find any reviews on it. However, gut instinct tells me you wouldn't want to use it to CF those cards.

Regardless to answer your question, you will need another adapter for another 6pin.

nodnarb

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Well what's the worst that would happen if i didn't get a new power supply, all it would do is make my computer crash. Then i would know if i need to get a new PSU. Back to the subject, the reason i asked is that i really don't wanna wait for an adapter to be delivered from newegg as i thought i already had 2 of them, what stores would sell a 6-pin adapter? Best buy or office depot?

Helltech

Distinguished
Actually a faulty power supply can blow and take other components (usually the motherboard, but sometimes a GPU or RAM) with it. It's rare, I'm not trying to scare you, just being realistic.

I'm not sure, I'd just order one on Newegg and wait 4 days, you pretty much NEED that adapter. I've never seen Best Buy or Office Depot have them, I used to work at Office Depot a long time ago.