Windows activation

shadowcat

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello

I have a quick question about windows...

During the first week in jan, my HDD failed, so i brought a new SSD and windows premium (£110 retail amazon)

On thursday i installed it and activated windows, and on friday, my mobo failed (i have tested this as every forum says to do and its failed)

When i get my new mobo, can i just connect the SSD and install all drivers,

Or will this deactivate windows?

If it deactivates, how do i reactivate it on this new mobo, or has that wasted a £110 OS?

(windows premium, 64bit, retail version, not oem!)

If you're replacing with the same board brand and chipset, then it will work fine. If you're using a different motherboard, then you may have to call microsoft to reactivate your windows installation.

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

If you are replacing the motherboard then it is best practice to do a re-install of windows, unless its an exact replacement then that would be fine.

For windows, it won't care. Windows 7 is a lot better at dealing with hardware changes and it will not deactivate itself when you replace hardware (unless its the hard drive and you have to do a full install of windows).
You can use your windows licence as many times as you want on your personal computer, but after the second time of activating it you will have to phone Microsoft. Its a painless experience, its a automated process of you putting in a string of numbers that is presented to you on the phone activation screen and then it reads back to you a series of number you input. I have done this many times (I work in a computer repair shop) and i have never had it fail on me...ever.

Sorry to hear about your hardware failures though :(

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

No worries.

Yeah a 9800GT would play Skyrim and Battlefield 3, probably not at highest settings though.

TRENDING THREADS