morris m

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello,
I’ve just done a PSU test like the utube one from Corsair with a paper clip and my PSU and case fans start up for about 2 seconds then stop turning, is my PSU faulty.
Corsair HX 850w modular.

Just to be sure, the power supply was NOT connected to the motherboard, just some fans and the paperclip to start it right?

If so, sound like you may have an issue.

I have never done the paperclip thing to my HX 850, but have to other power supplies without the on then off 2 seconds later.

On the plus side, that power supply has a 7 year warranty so Corsair will help you out for sure. If it is still new, the store you purchased it from may be able to help you faster.

morris m

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks for replying. Yes the PSU was outside of the case on a table with a case fan connected. The reason I’m testing is the computer fails to start, no bios just fans start for a spilt second then off. I borrowed a brand new 850watt PSU tried it same thing happened so thought mine was ok. I found this site, saw the breadboarding thread and decided to start the elimination process, watched the video did the test and could not understand why my PSU failed?

I do not suspect the psu since another psu had the same symptoms.

1) Is the power outlet properly grounded?

2) Are all of the motherboard power connectors secure and complete?

3) Is it possible that the front panel connectors are reversed? For example if the led cable is connected to the power button by mistake, you would get your symptoms.

4) Is there some possibility of a short? perhaps a connected case
fan has a short.

5) You can buy simple psu testers to verify the basic functioning of a psu for $15 or so.
Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261023

morris m

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

I have just tried my PSU in my brother-in-laws PC (the person I borrowed the PSU from) and it did the same as mine, split second fan turn, we then tried his new PSU and it fired up ok, so it looks like mine is faulty and something else is wrong.
What do you mean by properly grounded…… securely screwed?
This is my first build and it worked fine for about 5 months.

Because your psu did not work in a different pc, you have probably identified a defective psu. It happens.
You might want to open an incident with Corsair support.

Since it worked before, could it be possible that the modular connectors might be loose? Perhaps try swapping some of them out.

By grounding, I am refering to the 3 prong house outlet. You can buy a 3 prong outlet tester cheap like this;
http://www.amazon.com/ELECTRICAL-RECEPTACLE-TESTER-OUTLET-PRONG/dp/B002Q3R7HI
toverify that you have a good ground

To eliminate the possibility of the case having a short, remove the motherboard entirely from the case. Just leave it on a non conducting surface like cardboard.
Connect only the minimum set of components and try to power it on. Do not use the case front power connectors, power it on by touching the pwr switch pins with a screwdriver if your mobo does not have a pwr switch.

I can't edit my post:(

Rethinking, since a known good psu did not work in your pc, I do not think there is a problem with the psu itself.

Perhaps we have two problems, one with your psu, and another with your pc.

Try to isolate and separate the issues via the breadboard process.

Did you use the same cables in either case, either the main power cable, or the modular cables?

This just sounds like some bad luck if both the psu and board are not working.

So your friends power supply does not work with your system but you power supply does not work on another system either.

Sure hope the board did not damage the power supply.

morris m

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry for the late reply.
I have tested my system, out of the case, on a piece of cardboard and got it working up to Windows screen, I used the PSU from my old PC which was only 435watts (thought it was under powered) but worked ok, started with Mo Bo and CPU then added the rest one at a time, so now I only need to replace the PSU…..great news.
I still can’t understand why the new borrowed PSU did not work (tried it on mine twice) thought it might be shorting but my motherboard is fixed to a slide out tray and I checked all inside the case before testing, must be gremlins. Thanks for your help and Toms Hardware site.
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Coolermaster ATCS 840 Black Aluminium E-ATX Case
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SATA II...
Asus HD 6950 2GB GDDR5