Recommend any tiny digital camera - needs good macro lens ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 18, 2005 8:53:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

Hi

Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
digital camera?

I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
(butterflies, dragonflies etc)

I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
(ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
(Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)

Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?

Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?

==> Any first hand recommendations

Ship
Shiperton Henethe
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:00:00 PM

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
> digital camera?
>
> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>
> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
> (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
> lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
> (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>
> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>
> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>
> ==> Any first hand recommendations
[]

Nikon Coolpix such as 990 or 4500.

Cross-posting trimmed.

David
May 18, 2005 6:12:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

Canon A95 focuses down to 2ins. Quite cheaply priced now. Excellent results!
5 mp. If you can find one!
"ship" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
> digital camera?
>
> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>
> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
> (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
> lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
> (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>
> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>
> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>
> ==> Any first hand recommendations
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

May 18, 2005 6:12:36 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:12:35 +0100, "Jason" <smallwars_2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Canon A95 focuses down to 2ins. Quite cheaply priced now. Excellent results!
>5 mp. If you can find one!
>"ship" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
>> digital camera?
>>
>> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
>> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
>> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>>
>> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
>> (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
>> lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
>> (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>>
>> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>>
>> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>>
>> ==> Any first hand recommendations
>>

>> Ship
>> Shiperton Henethe

Hav a look at the Sony DSC-W1 (or later versions), huge LCD
screen, small camera, 5.1 mpixels, also has a threaded lens
housing for attaching telephoto, or magnifying lenses.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:59:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

My good friend just last weekend bought a Nikon CoolPix 7900. It fits
your specifications perfectly. I went with him to the Samy's camera
store to help him choose. We looked at camera's for a couple of hours.
I could tell the sales guy was getting a bit frustrated with us. After
my friend bought the coolpix 7900, I played around with it for an hour
to figure out its functions then showed him how to work it. There is
even an optional underwater housing for it. I just phoned him last night
to see if he still liked it. He did and was about to fill out the
cards. If I were looking for a pocket P&S I would buy one for myself.
My wife saw it and wanted one for her purse. I may be buying one yet ;-)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/

ship wrote:
> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
> (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
> lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
> (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>
> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>
> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>
> ==> Any first hand recommendations
May 19, 2005 4:01:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

ship wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
> digital camera?
>
> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>
> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
> (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
> lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably robust.
> (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>
> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>
> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>
> ==> Any first hand recommendations
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Try the pentax optio s5i its very small and it has two micro mode. super
micro mode get as close as 2 inches. its 2 x 3 x .8 inches big:)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_opt...
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:08:05 PM

ship wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
> digital camera?
>
> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)

Casio Exilim EX-P600 - 6MP, 4x optical zoom, pocket sized, about $500.
Ranges from simple P&S to full cockpit heads-up display & controls.

Min focal length is ~12", but in macro mode, this will fill the frame
with a 2" high subject.

At $500, I haven't given it the Samsonite test. :-) It's pocket-sized,
but not as slimline as some out there. About 1.5 x 2.5 x 4" at the
thickest spots.

Richard
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 6:05:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

Any idea what the *macro* aspect is like?

I'm not completely convinced that I need to go as high as 7Mpixels
and fear that quality may suffer for the price...

Ship

columbotrek wrote:
> My good friend just last weekend bought a Nikon CoolPix 7900. It
fits
> your specifications perfectly. I went with him to the Samy's camera
> store to help him choose. We looked at camera's for a couple of
hours.
> I could tell the sales guy was getting a bit frustrated with us.
After
> my friend bought the coolpix 7900, I played around with it for an
hour
> to figure out its functions then showed him how to work it. There is

> even an optional underwater housing for it. I just phoned him last
night
> to see if he still liked it. He did and was about to fill out the
> cards. If I were looking for a pocket P&S I would buy one for myself.

> My wife saw it and wanted one for her purse. I may be buying one yet
;-)

> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/
>

> ship wrote:
> > I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no bother
> > (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work well in very poor
> > lighting conditions, but doesn need to be at least reasonably
robust.
> > (Can take a few small knocks and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
> >
> > Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
> >
> > Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
> >
> > ==> Any first hand recommendations
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:00:14 PM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:08:05 -0700, "Richard H." <rh86@no.spam> wrote:

>ship wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very compact little
>> digital camera?
>>
>> I need it for general purpose photography of people & places but also
>> needs a good macro lens for wild flowers, & large insects
>> (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>
>Casio Exilim EX-P600 - 6MP, 4x optical zoom, pocket sized, about $500.
>Ranges from simple P&S to full cockpit heads-up display & controls.
>
>Min focal length is ~12", but in macro mode, this will fill the frame
>with a 2" high subject.
>
>At $500, I haven't given it the Samsonite test. :-) It's pocket-sized,
>but not as slimline as some out there. About 1.5 x 2.5 x 4" at the
>thickest spots.
>
>Richard

Will it take a tripod? Essential for macro work.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:42:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

I did not test the macro myself. But the specs claim that in macro mode
it will focus down to 1.6 inches. Don't remember the metric conversion
but that is very close. My friend bought the 1GB SD card. When the
camera is set for max resolution (7MP and Fine JPG) it reports 288 shots
available. The price paid was $399 for the camera, about $99 for the
SD card and another $30 for the protective case and associated extended
warranty. Plus the Governors cut of the action. I am not sure what you
mean about quality will suffer for the price. Since this model was only
released last Feb, I bet that the price will come down a notch by this
Feb. Just a guess. My take on the thing is that it has moving parts
like the telescoping lens, power zoom and the cute little automatic lens
cover. In a very small package. Must be somewhat on the delicate side.
Which is why I advocated for the extended warranty on this one.

ship wrote:

> Any idea what the *macro* aspect is like?
>
> I'm not completely convinced that I need to go as high as 7Mpixels
> and fear that quality may suffer for the price...
>

> Ship
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:17:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

"ship" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very
> compact little digital camera?
>
> I need it for general purpose photography of people &
> places but also needs a good macro lens for wild flowers,
> & large insects (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>
> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no
> bother (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work
> well in very poor lighting conditions, but doesn need to be
> at least reasonably robust. (Can take a few small knocks
> and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>
> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>
> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>
> ==> Any first hand recommendations

I have a pentax Optio S4 which I use as a 'visual notebook'. 4 MP, but
newer models are more: there's an S5 (maybe 6 by now). The results are
pretty good, and it is fairly controllable. There's also a weatherproof
model in the range.

The real relevance to you has to be the excellent macro performance (it will
fill the frame with an object about 1 1/2" in the long dimension) and its
tiny size: 3 5/16" x 2 3/32" x 13/16".

I wouldn't want one as a main camera - but that goes for any digital, and
for any compact, film or digital, but for what I use it for it is very good,
and the size is very convenient. Defintiely worth a look.

Peter
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 1:02:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

"ship" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone recommend a really nice high quality very
> compact little digital camera?
>
> I need it for general purpose photography of people &
> places but also needs a good macro lens for wild flowers,
> & large insects (butterflies, dragonflies etc)
>
> I want something pretty small that slips into the pocket no
> bother (ideally nice smooth sides). Doesnt need to work
> well in very poor lighting conditions, but doesn need to be
> at least reasonably robust. (Can take a few small knocks
> and maybe a wee shower of rain?)
>
> Hopefully at least 5 Mega pixels?
>
> Was thinking about a Canon Ixus or may be a Nikon?
>
> ==> Any first hand recommendations

I'm about 4 cameras farther down the road, but I still carry the most
pocketable one I've ever had my hands on: Minolta Dimage Xt. Just 3MP,
but likely to be in a newer edition by now. When I was looking for an
upgrade I was drawn to the Nikon 7900 because of Nikon's reputation
for great macro capability, but it wasn't available yet. Settled on
the Canon S500, a good picture-maker with very good close-up
functions. Not quite as pocketable as the Xt, but only fractions
larger. Unlike the Xt, which unveils a small hole for its light-inlet,
the S500 extends a lens-tube.

Xt photos:
http://www.fototime.com/86F33FC6D49A3DA/orig.jpg (full frame)
http://www.fototime.com/E66280C9356AE33/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/2FD122B43AB4DFD/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/EBE4C8382F80EAE/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/61421B07C8905EB/orig.jpg

S500 photos:
http://www.fototime.com/C898491FBD2A2CB/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/65A7170BEFBF174/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/6542853A04197DB/orig.jpg

--
Frank S

"Verbing wierds language."
—Calvin
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 3:10:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.technique.nature,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

As a simple grab camera that does a credible job in MACRO mode I use a
Canon A75. Fits in my pocket and compliments my Canon Digital Rebel
and Canon 35 mm.

Dave

!