Upgrade Monitor or Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiden2211

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hey, so i recently just got paid, and i'm not sure what to do, either upgrade my monitor or my graphics card.

Currently, i have a HD5770 and a cheap UMC brand LCD ~20" 1080p monitor.
I have my desktop set at 1280x720 though, because when at the full 1080p, objects and text appear to small. In games its set at 1600x900.

Basically i just want a few opinions on what i should get.

Thanks.

Solution
Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

I think a GPU ugprade is in order. You should have the monitor set at it's native resolution, because it will always give the best image.
Have you messed with DPI settings? This will keep the resolution the same but enlarge the appearance of everything. I'd look into it.

You definitely need a new GPU for gaming at 1080p.
What is your CPU? What about RAM? Have you thought about popping in an SSD?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Hope this helps! :p

striker410

Distinguished
Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

I think a GPU ugprade is in order. You should have the monitor set at it's native resolution, because it will always give the best image.
Have you messed with DPI settings? This will keep the resolution the same but enlarge the appearance of everything. I'd look into it.

You definitely need a new GPU for gaming at 1080p.
What is your CPU? What about RAM? Have you thought about popping in an SSD?

Sorry to bombard you with questions.

Hope this helps! :p

Solution

aiden2211

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
No, i haven't really messed about with the DPI, ill take a look at that.

CPU and RAM wise i think im ok, currently got a Phenom II x4 955 BE, and 4gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1600mhz. An SSD would be a luxury, but don't really want to invest in one atm.

Dots Per Inch = pixels per inch
"DPI measurement in monitor resolution

A less misleading term, therefore, is pixels per inch. Video displays are almost universally rated in dot pitch, which refers to the spacing between the sub-pixel red, green and blue dots which make up the pixels themselves. Monitor manufacturers use the term "dot trio pitch", the measurement of the distance between the centers of adjacent groups of three dots/rectangles/squares on the CRT screen. Monitors commonly use pitches of 0.39, 0.33, 0.32, 0.29, 0.27, 0.25, and 0.22 mm."
(borrowed from Wikipedia)

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
lol you got paid~
LED monitor greater then 23" is perfect for you and please purchase led or lcd with 4ms or 2ms (lower is better)
http://www.itechnews.net/2009/10/25/acer-s243hlbmii-slim-white-led-backlit-lcd-display/
i have that led monitor purchase from fry's.

1080P is 1920 x 1080 resolution.
On a 20" monitor at native resolution, text will look very small.
Zoom can help up to a point.

I Think I would get a larger monitor 24" to perhaps even 27".
Game on that, and keep the 20" monitor attached for extra display space.

The 5770 is already a capable card.

Status
Not open for further replies.