Sign in with
Your question

GTX 560 with 2gb VRAM

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2011 9:04:07 PM

A problem with SLI (this is my understanding which could be false) is that despite having two cards are are still limited to the VRAM of one card as a maximum. So if you fill up the VRAM it is the same as essentially just running one card.

Examples

Look at the second graph for BattleField 3. The GTX 560 SLI under performs the single GTX 570. This is because the the VRAM fills up and it is essentially like running 1 560 (even though you have two)
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

So my question is if I want to run 560 in SLI will getting the 2gb version help get over this problem?
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB

I understand that currently the VRAM problem is really only something to worry about at really high resolutions. Although I am more worried about future games that have more textures. Also that graph above is from running at 1920 x 1200 which is not really a super high res.

More about : gtx 560 2gb vram

a c 153 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 9:07:32 PM

Actually when you fill up your VRAM is when a game basically becomes unplayable, you dont lose a couple FPS here and there. When you fill up its to the point where it barely runs. At least from what Linus said on Linus Tech Tips, not everyone trusts his expertise, so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

According to him, you fill up your VRAM and the game goes to slow-motion, lol.
November 29, 2011 9:13:47 PM

Helltech said:
Actually when you fill up your VRAM is when a game basically becomes unplayable, you dont lose a couple FPS here and there. When you fill up its to the point where it barely runs. At least from what Linus said on Linus Tech Tips, not everyone trusts his expertise, so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

According to him, you fill up your VRAM and the game goes to slow-motion, lol.

Hmm that could be the issue too. But in SLI just because you have two cards with 1gb does not mean you have 2gb total VRAM, you essentially have 1gb total. So despite the faster processing speeds of two cards the VRAM is still a limit.

So would getting the 2gb version of the GTX 560 get over this problem? It seems like it would but it seems like to easy & cheap of a fix that I skeptical.
a c 139 U Graphics card
November 29, 2011 9:48:09 PM

If you're going to do SLI it probably would be worth it to get the 2GB version of the card for BF3 at least, as the 2 cards will actually have enough horsepower between them to use that much memory for BF3. A single 560 won't benefit from 2GB though, one 560 will run out of GPU power before the amount of RAM becomes an issue.
!