Where does Windows store wallpaper info.

September 16, 2004 1:12:51 PM

I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
which file determines which one to load.

Thank you

Paul
September 16, 2004 11:30:57 PM

"Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
> file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
> wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
> which file determines which one to load.
>
> Thank you
>
> Paul

This is a registry setting in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
September 16, 2004 11:30:58 PM

Thank you so much, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks again.

September 17, 2004 11:29:52 AM

george wrote:

> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
> > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
> > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
> > which file determines which one to load.
> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Paul
>
> This is a registry setting in
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

George:
If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in desktop,
just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the setting on every
re-boot as mine does?
peter
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:36:03 PM

Paul,

In addition:
See this thread: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8027

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Thank you so much, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks again.

September 18, 2004 1:55:21 AM

"Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
> george wrote:
>

>> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
>> > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
>> > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
>> > which file determines which one to load.
>> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> This is a registry setting in
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
>
> George:
> If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in desktop,
> just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the setting on every
> re-boot as mine does?
> peter

Peter,

Agreed, it wasn't clear in my answer, but Wallpaper is not a key (on the
left, like underneath WindowMetrics), but a ValueName (on the right), being
part of the key called Desktop.
It's there all right.
So your situation is something else. (Dunno what at this point)

george
September 18, 2004 1:59:23 AM

"Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
> george wrote:
>

>> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
>> > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
>> > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
>> > which file determines which one to load.
>> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> This is a registry setting in
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
>
> George:
> If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in desktop,
> just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the setting on every
> re-boot as mine does?
> peter

Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
immediately.
Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the right).

george
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:35:07 PM

george wrote:

> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
> > george wrote:
> >

> >> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> This is a registry setting in
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
> >
> > George:
> > If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in
> > desktop, just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the
> > setting on every re-boot as mine does?
> > peter
>
> Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
> immediately.
> Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the
> right).
>
> george

George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.
September 20, 2004 10:25:04 PM

> george wrote:
>

>> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message

>> > George:
>> > If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in
>> > desktop, just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the
>> > setting on every re-boot as mine does?
>> > peter
>>
>> Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
>> immediately.
>> Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the
>> right).
>>
>> george
>
> George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
> Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
> PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.

well, on my (more or less pristine) xp pro system I don't see
PrevTileWallpaper nor PrevWallpaper.
You wouldn't happen to have (had, at some point) some 'wallpaper changer'
program installed? (wouldn't know otherwise where those come from.
Anyhow, you could define the Wallpaper entry yourself by rightclicking in
the right regedit pane New, Stringvalue, name it Wallpaper and provide a
value pointing to some wallpaper bmp or jpg, eg.
c:\windows\web\wallpaper\bliss.bmp

hth

george
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:17:48 AM

george wrote:

> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
> > george wrote:
> >

> >> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message

> >> Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
> >> immediately.
> >> Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the
> >> right).
> > >
> >> george
> >
> > George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
> > Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
> > PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.
>
> well, on my (more or less pristine) xp pro system I don't see
> PrevTileWallpaper nor PrevWallpaper.
> You wouldn't happen to have (had, at some point) some 'wallpaper
> changer' program installed? (wouldn't know otherwise where those come
> from. Anyhow, you could define the Wallpaper entry yourself by
> rightclicking in the right regedit pane New, Stringvalue, name it
> Wallpaper and provide a value pointing to some wallpaper bmp or jpg,
> eg. c:\windows\web\wallpaper\bliss.bmp
>
> hth
>
> george

George-this is Really strange:
I did what you suggested, twice. I made bliss the wallpaper and added
it to the registry. I changed the color of the background to match
wallpaper. Rebooted, no wallpaper. So, I went back into the registry,
my string was gone, so I re-entered it and made bliss wallpaper again.
Rebooted today, same thing. No registry no wallpaper, desktop color
remains though!

Frustrated
September 22, 2004 7:15:37 PM

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane change to path
to Wallpaper.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> george wrote:
>

>> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message

>> > George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
>> > Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
>> > PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.
>>
>> well, on my (more or less pristine) xp pro system I don't see
>> PrevTileWallpaper nor PrevWallpaper.
>> You wouldn't happen to have (had, at some point) some 'wallpaper
>> changer' program installed? (wouldn't know otherwise where those come
>> from. Anyhow, you could define the Wallpaper entry yourself by
>> rightclicking in the right regedit pane New, Stringvalue, name it
>> Wallpaper and provide a value pointing to some wallpaper bmp or jpg,
>> eg. c:\windows\web\wallpaper\bliss.bmp
>>
>> hth
>>
>> george
>
> George-this is Really strange:
> I did what you suggested, twice. I made bliss the wallpaper and added
> it to the registry. I changed the color of the background to match
> wallpaper. Rebooted, no wallpaper. So, I went back into the registry,
> my string was gone, so I re-entered it and made bliss wallpaper again.
> Rebooted today, same thing. No registry no wallpaper, desktop color
> remains though!
>
> Frustrated
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 11:43:57 AM

Kelly wrote:

> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane change
> to path to Wallpaper.

Thanks kelly, I did have a string value there, just no path. I'll see
what happens.
peter
September 24, 2004 5:09:43 AM

Most welcome and good luck!

--

> Kelly wrote:
>
>> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane change
>> to path to Wallpaper.
>
> Thanks kelly, I did have a string value there, just no path. I'll see
> what happens.
> peter
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 10:56:15 AM

Kelly wrote:

> Most welcome and good luck!

Well my registry still has the value pointing to Bliss, but a reboot
removed the wallpaer from my desktop.

sigh :<
September 27, 2004 11:46:37 PM

> Kelly wrote:
>
>> Most welcome and good luck!
>
> Well my registry still has the value pointing to Bliss, but a reboot
> removed the wallpaer from my desktop.
>
> sigh :<

sounds like your settings are not being saved upon exit.
check out:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program
Manager\Restrictions]
and make sure the setting "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

This *could* be the linguiring result of some previous 'customization' where
you've defined Not To Save settings, maybe using some 'tweakui'-type utility
or so.

hth

george
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 11:46:38 PM

george wrote:

> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
> > Kelly wrote:
> >
> >> Most welcome and good luck!
> >
> > Well my registry still has the value pointing to Bliss, but a reboot
> > removed the wallpaer from my desktop.
> >
> > sigh :<
>
> sounds like your settings are not being saved upon exit.
> check out:
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions]
> and make sure the setting "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
>
> This could be the linguiring result of some previous 'customization'
> where you've defined Not To Save settings, maybe using some
> 'tweakui'-type utility or so.
>
> hth
>
> george

Thanks for all you help George. Perhaps I should download Tweaui and
see what I can do with that. Or perhaps it has something to do with
nvidia desktop, which i don't use.
Very frustrating anyway.
!