Where does Windows store wallpaper info.

I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
which file determines which one to load.

Thank you

Paul
15 answers Last reply
More about where windows store wallpaper info

    "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
    > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
    > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
    > which file determines which one to load.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Paul

    This is a registry setting in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

    Thank you so much, this was exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks again.

    george wrote:

    > "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
    > > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
    > > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
    > > which file determines which one to load.
    > > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > Paul
    >
    > This is a registry setting in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper

    George:
    If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in desktop,
    just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the setting on every
    re-boot as mine does?
    peter

    Paul,

    In addition:
    See this thread: http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=8027

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
    > george wrote:
    >

    >> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
    >> > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
    >> > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
    >> > which file determines which one to load.
    >> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you
    >> >
    >> > Paul
    >>
    >> This is a registry setting in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
    >
    > George:
    > If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in desktop,
    > just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the setting on every
    > re-boot as mine does?
    > peter

    Peter,

    Agreed, it wasn't clear in my answer, but Wallpaper is not a key (on the
    left, like underneath WindowMetrics), but a ValueName (on the right), being
    part of the key called Desktop.
    It's there all right.
    So your situation is something else. (Dunno what at this point)

    george

    "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
    > george wrote:
    >

    >> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I was wondering where Windows stores the configuration
    >> > file that determines which wallpaper to load. I know the
    >> > wallpapers are stored in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but
    >> > which file determines which one to load.
    >> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you
    >> >
    >> > Paul
    >>
    >> This is a registry setting in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
    >
    > George:
    > If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in desktop,
    > just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the setting on every
    > re-boot as mine does?
    > peter

    Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
    immediately.
    Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the right).

    george

    george wrote:

    > "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
    > > george wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > >> This is a registry setting in
    > >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Wallpaper
    > >
    > > George:
    > > If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in
    > > desktop, just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the
    > > setting on every re-boot as mine does?
    > > peter
    >
    > Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
    > immediately.
    > Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the
    > right).
    >
    > george

    George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
    Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
    PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.

    > george wrote:
    >

    >> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message

    >> > George:
    >> > If a computer doesn't have this setting (No wallpaper entry in
    >> > desktop, just windowmetrics) would that cause it to lose the
    >> > setting on every re-boot as mine does?
    >> > peter
    >>
    >> Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
    >> immediately.
    >> Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the
    >> right).
    >>
    >> george
    >
    > George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
    > Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
    > PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.

    well, on my (more or less pristine) xp pro system I don't see
    PrevTileWallpaper nor PrevWallpaper.
    You wouldn't happen to have (had, at some point) some 'wallpaper changer'
    program installed? (wouldn't know otherwise where those come from.
    Anyhow, you could define the Wallpaper entry yourself by rightclicking in
    the right regedit pane New, Stringvalue, name it Wallpaper and provide a
    value pointing to some wallpaper bmp or jpg, eg.
    c:\windows\web\wallpaper\bliss.bmp

    hth

    george

    george wrote:

    > "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
    > > george wrote:
    > >

    > >> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message

    > >> Here we go again, first attempt was dumped from the server almost
    > >> immediately.
    > >> Wallpaper is not a key (on the left) but rather a Valuename (on the
    > >> right).
    > > >
    > >> george
    > >
    > > George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
    > > Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
    > > PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.
    >
    > well, on my (more or less pristine) xp pro system I don't see
    > PrevTileWallpaper nor PrevWallpaper.
    > You wouldn't happen to have (had, at some point) some 'wallpaper
    > changer' program installed? (wouldn't know otherwise where those come
    > from. Anyhow, you could define the Wallpaper entry yourself by
    > rightclicking in the right regedit pane New, Stringvalue, name it
    > Wallpaper and provide a value pointing to some wallpaper bmp or jpg,
    > eg. c:\windows\web\wallpaper\bliss.bmp
    >
    > hth
    >
    > george

    George-this is Really strange:
    I did what you suggested, twice. I made bliss the wallpaper and added
    it to the registry. I changed the color of the background to match
    wallpaper. Rebooted, no wallpaper. So, I went back into the registry,
    my string was gone, so I re-entered it and made bliss wallpaper again.
    Rebooted today, same thing. No registry no wallpaper, desktop color
    remains though!

    Frustrated
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane change to path
    to Wallpaper.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    > george wrote:
    >

    >> "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message

    >> > George I have a WallpaperStyle with a value of 2, on the Right under
    >> > Desktop, no just plain Wallpaper?? I also have: Originalwallpaper,
    >> > PrevTileWallpaper and PrevWallpaper.
    >>
    >> well, on my (more or less pristine) xp pro system I don't see
    >> PrevTileWallpaper nor PrevWallpaper.
    >> You wouldn't happen to have (had, at some point) some 'wallpaper
    >> changer' program installed? (wouldn't know otherwise where those come
    >> from. Anyhow, you could define the Wallpaper entry yourself by
    >> rightclicking in the right regedit pane New, Stringvalue, name it
    >> Wallpaper and provide a value pointing to some wallpaper bmp or jpg,
    >> eg. c:\windows\web\wallpaper\bliss.bmp
    >>
    >> hth
    >>
    >> george
    >
    > George-this is Really strange:
    > I did what you suggested, twice. I made bliss the wallpaper and added
    > it to the registry. I changed the color of the background to match
    > wallpaper. Rebooted, no wallpaper. So, I went back into the registry,
    > my string was gone, so I re-entered it and made bliss wallpaper again.
    > Rebooted today, same thing. No registry no wallpaper, desktop color
    > remains though!
    >
    > Frustrated
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Kelly wrote:

    > HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane change
    > to path to Wallpaper.

    Thanks kelly, I did have a string value there, just no path. I'll see
    what happens.
    peter
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Most welcome and good luck!

    --

    > Kelly wrote:
    >
    >> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop. In the right pane change
    >> to path to Wallpaper.
    >
    > Thanks kelly, I did have a string value there, just no path. I'll see
    > what happens.
    > peter
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Kelly wrote:

    > Most welcome and good luck!

    Well my registry still has the value pointing to Bliss, but a reboot
    removed the wallpaer from my desktop.

    sigh :<
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    > Kelly wrote:
    >
    >> Most welcome and good luck!
    >
    > Well my registry still has the value pointing to Bliss, but a reboot
    > removed the wallpaer from my desktop.
    >
    > sigh :<

    sounds like your settings are not being saved upon exit.
    check out:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Program
    Manager\Restrictions]
    and make sure the setting "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

    This *could* be the linguiring result of some previous 'customization' where
    you've defined Not To Save settings, maybe using some 'tweakui'-type utility
    or so.

    hth

    george
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    george wrote:

    > "Peter Jam" <pjam@lorch.com> wrote in message
    > > Kelly wrote:
    > >
    > >> Most welcome and good luck!
    > >
    > > Well my registry still has the value pointing to Bliss, but a reboot
    > > removed the wallpaer from my desktop.
    > >
    > > sigh :<
    >
    > sounds like your settings are not being saved upon exit.
    > check out:
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\Program Manager\Restrictions]
    > and make sure the setting "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
    >
    > This could be the linguiring result of some previous 'customization'
    > where you've defined Not To Save settings, maybe using some
    > 'tweakui'-type utility or so.
    >
    > hth
    >
    > george

    Thanks for all you help George. Perhaps I should download Tweaui and
    see what I can do with that. Or perhaps it has something to do with
    nvidia desktop, which i don't use.
    Very frustrating anyway.

Configuration Wallpaper Microsoft Customization Windows XP