New monitor and possibly video card for 3D gaming

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hey all,

Been delaying the purchase of a new monitor for quite some time, and possibly debating a new video card as well based on the decisions made from this thread. Inevitably, the monitor is more important to me right now as my video card treats me well with the newest games (obviously it could be better). I simply want a larger screen and the 30' is simply too pricey. I realize that with the 27' you're stretching the 1920x1080; however I really do want the bigger screen. I believe there are a couple 27's out there with higher resolutions (DELL?), but they lack 3D ... I don't think I've found a 3D 27' with higher than 1920. I plan on getting a video card soon too, but I figure If I'm gonna buy a monitor, might as well pick up the 3D support now regardless to what decision is made on the video card ... but as I'm learning, different monitors support ATI vs. nVidia, awesome.

Anyways, my current setup:
- Monitor: LG W2361VG
- Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX
- Video Card: XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Currently, I'm debating between two options; however I'm open to additional suggestions:
1) Keep current video card and purchase the Samsung T27A950
2) Purchase the Acer HN274H BMIIID and later pick up a GTX 580

This is the first ATI card I've owned and I've had issues with it that make me want to go back to nVidia; however it's obviously a more expensive route not to mention if I ever wanted to SLI, I'd need a new motherboard.

The Samsung monitor is incredibly awesome looking (I'm big on the "wow" factor from others), not to mention it can double down as a TV; however the Acer appears to be the superior choice between the two and is a bit cheaper.

Any thoughts on these two options and/or additional recommendations? Right now the first choice seems to be the best bet ... but any and all insight is most welcome.

Thanks!

adambean

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
The more I read, the more it seems that IF I do go the Samsung route, that the S27A950D is a much better choice for gaming over the T27A950. The T was appealing as it would double down as another TV if need be for gaming/whatever ... but the reviews on multiple sites are leading me to believe that the S is the superior choice. But, putting aside the awesome look, it seems that the DELL U2711 is all around the best non-3D choice and the Acer is the best 3D choice.

I hate making decisions!