ISP hunting for online games, Help!

animoso

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hi, I'm using WiMax internet technology with 6gb data allowance per month.
I play online games and download torrents too...

I just want to know what internet technology should I be searching given that I prefer the one that
guarantees low ping or latency for smooth online gaming? Is it the WiMax, Wireless Broadband or DSL?
To be honest I still don't know their difference except for wired and wireless. LOL

If my WiMax is fine, can you guys teach me what tweaks I can perform in my modem page/gateway?
Because, some other online gamers would say that I have a very high ping and they kick me out of the game. :(

Solution
any wireless connection is going to have inherent latency built in.

Even my home wireless connection 5' from the router is 15ms when my cable modem has a 10ms ping to a hop 150 miles away.

go wired if you can.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
any wireless connection is going to have inherent latency built in.

Even my home wireless connection 5' from the router is 15ms when my cable modem has a 10ms ping to a hop 150 miles away.

go wired if you can.

Solution
+2. Wireless inherently has 2 problems. The first is latency as already mentioned. The second is reliability. Always wire the connection when possible. This will provide the best possible ping times, and almost eliminate the problem of random connection dropouts.

gamerxavier

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'd go with a cable ISP. Reason being your going to get all in one units from almost any DSL provider, those units are garbage and it's more work then necessary turning the all in one into a dummy modem and buying a router.

Depending on where you live though your always going to get screwed one way or another (cable companies often increase $$ every X months, dsl well just sucks all around).
However if you live somewhere, where there's Firer optics I'd eat that up in a heartbeat. I don't know anything about it other then it's known to be fast and reliable. Every person I know with it always has the best connections to games and things of that nature.

For the in home connection always go wired if you can. Ethernet with a non all in one modem, and a dedicated router if you have wireless devices. I can't repeat enough how much all in one units just suck.