CPU and GPU not at full throttle

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Hey!

So I just finished building my dream computer fully featured with a GTX 680 and a i5 3570K !

Im really exited about the computer due to it being the most powerful computer I ever built.

there is one thing I seem to have an issue with though, when I play games like bf3 the CPU is at %70 while the GPU is at %80-%90 but never hitting that %100 and thus I sometimes lagg in game.

could someone help plaese?

Thanks again,
Light

P.S. Both are still at stock speeds

there is one thing I seem to have an issue with though, when I play games like bf3 the CPU is at %70 while the GPU is at %80-%90 but never hitting that %100 and thus I sometimes lagg in game.

That's a good thing. You don't want to maxing out either one actually, since that means it's using every bit of what it can and probably needs more. If it's lagging, it has nothing to do with not having the CPU and GPU at 100%. Are you seeing low FPS or just lag in multiplayer? They're two totally different things.

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Nothing wrong? He said it sometimes caused him to lag...

Something is not right. You have some kind of bottleneck somewhere. Either a thermal is out of control and is throttling back or maybe even your storage is holding it back. BF3 leans very hard on the storage while playing...

When I play, both my cards are fluttering at the 98%-100% range. They are supposed to be going full boar as they are the bottleneck in games.

What settings are you playing BF3 at also? You shouldn't be hitting the 680s 2GB limit at normal resolutions but who knows.

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
The 680 is monstrous; it should never noticeably drop in FPS unless you have another bottleneck.

You should look at getting an SSD into your system asap. I'm thinking your Hard Drive is holding your silicon parts back.

If you didn't notice any "lagging" in single player, then I'd say that the network is the bottleneck, yes. There's not really any way to fix that, that I'm aware of, other than getting faster internet. Of course, if you already have fast internet, then I don't know what else to tell you.

Multiplayer should be a little less GPU bound though, so it makes sense that the GPU usage was lower then.

Yeah, that should be pretty good then. I don't really know what else to tell you right now, unfortunately.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Crap!
Well I'll look into it, but the fact that in single player i use %96+ of the GPU and in multiplayer I dont is by it self something.

thanks for the help though!

I would note that at my friends how the something simulate happened today.
he has a 6950 and at high his gpu is at %95+ but when i put it on medium for better performance it only goes to %70... could this help figure the problem out?

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012

You're most likely CPU bound. The graphics card is waiting for the CPU to send the frames to it so it can render and show it. Usually its the other way around.

You have headroom on the graphics card so either overclock the CPU to help it keep up or put a bigger load on the graphics card to try and balance it out.

When all is balanced, your GPU should be the one struggling to keep up in games (99% load fluttering).

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

overall?

do you have ANY cores at 100%? overall doesn't mean much as BF3 utilizes 2 cores more than the rest, even in multiplayer. If those 2 are maxed out, then your cpu capped. time to overclock.