HD 6870 Driver crashing-New PC

JensN

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I recently purchased and put together a computer from newegg and everything is great except for the fact that the graphics card driver crashes and then windows 7 recovers from it like everytime I do something as simple as open internet explorer or any on screen window. I've tried uninstalling all the drivers and reinstalling just the 11-11 newest catalyst to no avail, I've tried a different monitor on either of the vga ports to no avail, I did a memory check with the microsoft memory check program and it's all fine, I did a scandisc and there were no errors, I doubt it's overheating since it happens while the pc is still cold after booting up, I updated windows 7 drivers and direct x. It's not program related since it happens while im just on the desktop using no programs. At this point the things I still need to try are to get into safe mode(not sure how to do this in windows 7) and uninstall, reinstall the driver, and also try a different video card in the pc, luckily i have an older nvidia 7800gt i can slap in to test the pci-slot. Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

The stats:
-COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
-OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
-LG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS70 OEM - OEM
- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
-Intel Sandybridge Core i7 2600k processor

computadoro

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Please test if you still get the crashes using the integrated video device of your processor. i was thinking about getting the same videocard and I have the same motherboard... Did you happen to overclock your cpu or ram?

JensN

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
It's not overclocked at all, and the integrated video on the motherboard works fine, although after I installed the Intel HD graphics driver the screen is black after i start the computer up just getting to the windows login screen, but with the basic windows driver I have no problem with onboard. I tried my older 7600GT in the computer and it worked just fine, no problems or crashes. I had newegg exchange the card and tomorrow (friday 12-9-11) I get the new card delivered so i'll update if it changes anything, which I'm hoping it fixes the problem...If not it could be the PSU not supplying enough juice or the motherboard maybe?

JensN

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Well, the replacement 6870 isn't crashing every 20 seconds and the driver installed without issue, I have yet to play a graphically intense game though, gonna install a benchmark and give it a try...so far seems to have been a bad card