Length of time I will get out of 7970 and 2500K

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorenthecat

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Curious about your speculation (I've been away from the PC gaming world for many years), if I were to get an amd 7970, i5 2500k, and 8 gigs of ram, how long do you think the setup would be able to push games at either the high/ultra settings with ~60 FPS? I'm curious if this will be strong for a good while, or I should wait to see if or by how much IvyBridge/Kepler change things.

FYI, Im thinking about resolution of 1080p.

Thanks for your input.

Solution
Ultra? A year. High? Maybe three.
I don't think IB will do much. Kepler and the rest of the 7000 series will probably be a bigger deal. Remember, though, that you can always wait for the next big thing. I think the 7970 would be a good idea; it's the new generation and its performance is impressive. The 2500K is a marvel, and with a good OC it'll handle two 7970s (your next upgrade) without trouble.
Ultra? A year. High? Maybe three.
I don't think IB will do much. Kepler and the rest of the 7000 series will probably be a bigger deal. Remember, though, that you can always wait for the next big thing. I think the 7970 would be a good idea; it's the new generation and its performance is impressive. The 2500K is a marvel, and with a good OC it'll handle two 7970s (your next upgrade) without trouble.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.