What Photo Software

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 18, 2005 6:33:35 PM

What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

More about : photo software

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:33:36 PM

Photoshop CS2 for image manipulation, ThumbsPlus for catalogue / database -
use.

Väinö Louekari

"Rob" <norbertlspam@nospams.com> wrote in message
> What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

May 18, 2005 7:04:58 PM

"Rob" <norbertlspam@nospams.com> wrote in message
> What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

Depends what you include in 'best' eg features, cost etc.

I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro, doesn't do everything but most things I need
and can be bought fairly cheaply.
Add to that NeatImage for removing noise and a panoramic stitching program,
I use Panavue Image assembler and I can do most things I want.

Abode Photoshop CS2 seems to be the 'pro' one and it's cheaper versions seem
to be popular
May 18, 2005 9:11:09 PM

CS or CS2. No compromise

The GIMP. Free

John D
"Rob" <norbertlspam@nospams.com> wrote in message
> What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:02:00 AM

"Rob" <norbertlspam@nospams.com> writes:

> What do you all consider to be the best photo software?

"Best" is such a troublesome word!

Photoshop is the clear leader for professional use. It's clearly
*not* the leader for price-performance; that niche is unambiguously
reserved for GIMP (free software). Photoshop Elements brings the
price down a lot and mostly doesn't hit the features too hard --
unless you like adjustment layers, like me. Paint Shop Pro is well
liked by some users, and is in the Elements price range. Picture
Window Pro from Digital Light and Color has better curve adjustment,
better overall color correction, better local color correction, and
better perspective adjustment than any of the above, and is cheap, but
doesn't do layers at all, not even plain layers.

Currently I use Photoshop CS most. I made more use of Picture Window
Pro when I only had Photoshop 5.5 (didn't do 16-bit adjustment layers,
for one thing, and didn't have the Camera Raw plugin). I only used
Paint Shop Pro when it was the only graphic tool I could get at work
(GIMP wasn't much use that long ago, or maybe didn't exist at all). I
wouldn't claim that my preferences are right for everybody, though.
May 20, 2005 3:52:25 PM

Thanks for your views :)

I have seen a lot of ads on the dreaded ebay for photoshop software, and i
feel a large(if not all) percentage is fake.

<http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/&gt;
> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/&gt;
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 3:58:24 AM

"Rob" <norbertlspam@nospams.com> writes:

> Thanks for your views :)
>
> I have seen a lot of ads on the dreaded ebay for photoshop software, and i
> feel a large(if not all) percentage is fake.

Certainly most of the ones too good to be believed are, anyway.
May 21, 2005 9:33:22 PM

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D 6fi2l$k9a$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

> I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro, doesn't do everything but most things I
> need and can be bought fairly cheaply.

I, too, use PSP, but now that Corel has bought it from Jasc, it may be only
a matter of time before they screw it up.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with PhotoShop Elements, to
provide a learning curve that would lead up to the full-blown PhotoShop, if
the upgrade was appropriate for me.

But, in fairness to PSP, I must admit that their proprietary "Clarify"
filter does add a dramatic sense of depth, almost a 3-D appearance, to an
image and I do not believe that any other editing software, including PS,
offers an equivalent.
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 11:18:14 PM

Jeremy wrote:
> "dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:D 6fi2l$k9a$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro, doesn't do everything but most things I
>>need and can be bought fairly cheaply.
>

> I, too, use PSP, but now that Corel has bought it from Jasc, it may be only
> a matter of time before they screw it up.
>
> If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone with PhotoShop Elements, to
> provide a learning curve that would lead up to the full-blown PhotoShop, if
> the upgrade was appropriate for me.
>
> But, in fairness to PSP, I must admit that their proprietary "Clarify"
> filter does add a dramatic sense of depth, almost a 3-D appearance, to an
> image and I do not believe that any other editing software, including PS,
> offers an equivalent.

At the moment, PSE3 can be found at discount stores at under $55 (USD).

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
!