Sign in with
Your question

My laptop has been stolen can i cancel my windows 7 leicenc

Last response: in Windows 7
January 5, 2012 4:34:14 PM

Can I get my licence back from Microsoft to use again after my laptop was stolen.

Ernie
January 5, 2012 4:42:00 PM

Call them up and ask them. I doubt it though.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2012 4:48:45 PM

ErnieJoan said:
Can I get my licence back from Microsoft to use again after my laptop was stolen.

Ernie

interesting question...

Im no legal expert - but your licence was not stolen? If you still own the licence - so you can reuse it. Illegal use of the Windows licence can then be added to the list of charges when the perps are aprehended :) 

This is almost certainly the case if it was a full retail licence... as these are linked to the owner... i.e. gives you the right to add windows to a computer.
Im am less sure if it still stands if it was an OEM licence - which is linked to the machine/hardware and not to the user.

Anyway - dont take my word for it... im am largely guessing... lets see if someone who knows will chit in... im interested.

Good luck anyway
Cheers
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2012 4:49:04 PM

I don't believe so...since it's already registered and likely tied to that computer (unless it's not an OEM license), I think it's gone.

Sorry...
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2012 4:52:57 PM

what i want to know is why would you need it? if you end up buying another laptop anyway it will already have a license for windows 7 anyway. plus canceling the license will just slightly inconvenience the thief
January 5, 2012 4:53:32 PM

It is a Full licence with a anytime upgrade to Pro

Ernie
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2012 4:56:08 PM

which is what the rest of them offer. my laptop offers an anytime upgrade to pro too so still no advantage
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2012 5:00:20 PM

If you have the retail disk and product key for both products then you should be able to reuse them -- If it will not activate just call MS and with the proper info they should provide a working activation response code for you. (not sure if reusing it will deactivate the initial install or not but that isn't really a concern in this case)
January 5, 2012 5:23:13 PM

Nope.
!