Help picking mobo with 2600k( 1st build)

lackofrespect

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I have the 2600k that I got on sale for $200 at micro center a few weeks ago but now I am not exactly sure which mono to get. I had been planning to wait for Ivy but this deal seemed to good to pass on. I still planned to get a z77.

I just wanted to know what everyone thought was the best way to go. I do game some on PC but the only game as of now I would be playing would be Starcraft. I am an electrical engineering student so I do get into a lot of different programs for that. So far I will occasionally use Autocad electrical, Matlab, NX, and maybe some solid works.

I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H but the reviews once Ivy released have been horrible. Since then I was looking at different boards around $200 give or take.

Any advice would be great!

EDIT: I forgot to ask about a few other components that I will need. I do have the 6850 which should be enough for me but I may end up getting a second down the road. Based on that I need help choosing:

1. Memory - I think I can use up to 1333 with my processor but know only some basics about memory so no idea what to choose.
2. Power Supply - Not sure what size I would need
3. Case - Haven't research these yet since I hadn't picked a mono but I am pretty sure it will be ATX.

"I was looking at the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H but the reviews once Ivy released have been horrible"

Really? What reviews? provide links. Everything I've read from reputable sources claim this to be a very good Motherboard.

lackofrespect

Honorable
May 13, 2012

I was talking about user reviews not so much about review articles. If I saw someone say this a few weeks ago I would have reacted the same since it seemed to get almost perfect reviews everywhere I looked. I was pretty much dead set on getting this one and figured i would give it a few weeks to see if I could get lucky and find a deal but when I checked back yesterday to actually buy it I noticed the most recent reviews from others who bought this were not not very good. A lot of complaining about freezing and shutdowns. I assume since I have a sandy bridge spy I wouldn't have this issue but I wanted this board in case I do get Ivy down the road which doesn't seem to work well on this one lol. Here is a link to the board on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

Those are more than the usual number of bad reviews. I wonder what's going on with this board.

lackofrespect

Honorable
May 13, 2012

lackofrespect

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking. I didn't count but it seems since Ivy released more then 70-80% are a problem.

Yes, exactly. I thought maybe I could still go with it but at that price and the off chance that I will get an Ivy there is no chance. Doesn't seem like an issue that will be easily fixed either.

lackofrespect

Honorable
May 13, 2012

The ASUS P8Z77-V that you listed here is probably on the top of my list so far. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two you have listed to warrent the higher price or maybe I just don't know exactly what some of the features do or what I can use them for on the Maximus.

Since the motherboards that have been suggested to me are all z77 I take it that it is a better idea to go with the z77 rather than z68 or the like?