themask25

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi guys,

Im planning on upgrading my PC, and I really need your opinions :)...

Budget Range: Around $1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing - Gaming

Parts Not Required: Monitor, Hard Drive, CPU.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: DirectCanada, Best Direct, NCIX, Newegg

Parts Preferences: Must AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080 and above

Additional Comments:

- I'm looking into a future proof for the following parts such Motherboard, Power Supply, and Processor.
- Im concerned about noise level so air flow is really important to me, so that it will keep the fans running on low speed as much as possible to reduce fan noise level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Parts to buy

Case : Cooler Master Storm Trooper
MotherBoard : Asus M5A97 EVO
Memory : Corsair 8GB (2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit)
CPU Cooler : CM V6GT
Keybaord & M.: Logitech MK550
Power Supply : OCZ ZX Series 850W 80 Plus Gold
Video Card : XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Setup

Case : Cooler Master Storm Trooper
CPU : AMD X4 965 BE
MotherBoard : Asus M5A97 EVO
Memory : Corsair 8GB (2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit)
CPU Cooler : CM V6GT
Keybaord & M.: Logitech MK550
Power Supply : OCZ 850W ZX Series 80 plus gold [/url]
Video Card : XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Hard Drive : WD 500GB
Monitor : LG Flatron E2250V LED 1080P

Thanks in advance guys

Solution
Upgrading to bulldozer will provide EXTREMELY little benefit for you. TH recommends only upgrading if you move up 3+ tiers on this chart. You'd only be moving up one tier:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

I'd recommend sticking with your current platform. Get a new case if you'd like (aesthetics do matter to a lot of us after all). However, if you just upgraded your psu and spent your budget in graphics cards, you'd be much better off. Also, hard drives are ridiculously expensive right now (a 1tb used to run about $60-$70 until the supply shortage). If you can stick it out until prices come back down (who knows exactly when) it may be worth your while. Cheers!

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Upgrading to bulldozer will provide EXTREMELY little benefit for you. TH recommends only upgrading if you move up 3+ tiers on this chart. You'd only be moving up one tier:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

I'd recommend sticking with your current platform. Get a new case if you'd like (aesthetics do matter to a lot of us after all). However, if you just upgraded your psu and spent your budget in graphics cards, you'd be much better off. Also, hard drives are ridiculously expensive right now (a 1tb used to run about $60-$70 until the supply shortage). If you can stick it out until prices come back down (who knows exactly when) it may be worth your while. Cheers!

Solution

themask25

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Beltzy, you wont believe how newbie I am, really appreciate you providing me the chart... Didnt know that AMD 965BE is still just 1 tier behind all this :bounce:

however I do believe I need to change some parts at least to keep my PC functioning at best while video editing, and perhaps gaming it with new titles coming this year.

I edited my post and I dropped the Hard Drive and CPU... Im gonna post my current components in my sig just so that you would have an idea why Im looking to upgrade some parts :)

Really appreciate your input... CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS !! :D

-----------------------------------------

My Current Components

AMD X4 965 BE | 3GB Memory | HD 4650 Sapphire | Asus M3A78-EM | Ultra V Series 500W... the rest are just either very low end parts or garbage :/