Inspiron 580 Upgrading (Case, GPU, CPU, PSU)

Flipperz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Can I put Intel Core i5 760 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.8GHZ 8MB Cache Retail Box

and a
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 Windforce 820MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI Display Port PCI-E Video Card in my Inspiron 580? Will these components fit in the case as well as 600W ATX PSU to replace my stock 300W PSU that Dell includes?

Do I need a new case to fit them? What case is recommended within a $1-150 range that won't cause my PC to overheat- and with dust filters?

I'm thinking about purchasing this case:
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10370AC8944

My Inspiron 580's specs
6GB ram
dual core intel i5 processor, 3.2ghz
integrated 'video card' in motherboard

In-depth Inspiron 580 specs:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/insp580/en/cs/cs_en.pdf

Any help or tips would be appreciated, thanks for the read and any contributions to my task.

Inspiron 580 motherboard:
http://www.redplanettrading.com/Dell-33FF6-Inspiron-580-580s-Desktop-DT-Motherboard.html

Specs from Dell's website:
Ports
Front Ports

USB 2.0 (2)
Headphone connector
Microphone connector

Rear Ports

VGA connector
HDMI connector
USB 2.0 (4)
RJ45 10/100 Network port
Microphone connector
Line-out connector
Line-in connector

19-in-1 Media Card Reader

Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card
MiniSD
Micro-SD
Hi-Capacity Secure Digital (SDHC)
Multi Media Card (MMC)
RS Multimedia Card (RS-MMC)
Multimedia Card Plus (MMC+)
Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO)
RD Multimedia Card Plus
Multimedia Card Micro
Memory Stick (MS)
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick PRO Duo
Memory Stick Micro
Compact Flash I
Compact Flash II
Smart Media Card (SM)
xD Picture Card (xD)
Micro Drive (MD)
Slots
PCIe x16(1), PCIe x 1(2), PCI(1)
Chassis
Form Factor

Slim Tower:

Height: 369 mm (14.52 inches)
Width: 110 mm (4.33 inches)
Depth: 437 mm (17.20 inches)
Weight: Starting at7.50 kg (16.53 lb)

Mini (standard) tower :
0088411605725_500X500.jpg

Height: 37.53cm (14.8")
Width: 17.59cm (6.93")
Depth: 44.22cm (17.44")
Weight: Starting at 7.9kg (17.4lb)

Power

300 Watt Power Supply

Security

Cable lock chassis security slot
Drive Bays
Two 3.5" bays
Two 5.25" bays
Memory DIMM slots: 4 available

Solution
Probably not necessary unless you are running 100% all of the time AND you want very quiet.
The fan on my video card is the loudest part of my computer I run the extra fans so my cpu and video card fans do not run as fast. More slower turning fans moves more air through the case quieter than the 2 stock fans running faster rpms.

It is not hard to swap the parts over. Watch a few videos and read the case manual. You will need the motherboard manual found at Dell.
For hooking up the front panel lights,usb,audio and power switches .
Your motherboard appears to have 1 cpu fan header and 1 Case fan header.
You will need adaptors or a fan controller to controll speeds for more fans.
But without the extra fans it will be a lot cooler than...

Flipperz

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Thanks. The minitower makes my current components run at 70 degrees celsius though, so I think I'll have to use the case that Rick_Criswell recommends. I don't mean to be asking for advice and then already knowing the answer though. I've read a post saying that a 6950 in an Inspiron 580 Minitower case would barely leave any space for airflow and it wouldn't fit unless you opened the case. That isn't a 6850 though and I don't know the dimensions of a 6950 in comparison to a 6850.

Flipperz

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Thanks a lot, definitely going to get the case now. However, what do you mean by stock fans? Should I purchase 4 120mm 15db (17db on directcanada) fans @ 1200 rpm and add them to the case you recommended?

Also, can I easily remove all of my Inspiron 580's components and place them in the HAF? My mother says she's going to call somebody to do it and pay them, but I don't know if it's necessary or not and I haven't questioned her on the topic.

Probably not necessary unless you are running 100% all of the time AND you want very quiet.
The fan on my video card is the loudest part of my computer I run the extra fans so my cpu and video card fans do not run as fast. More slower turning fans moves more air through the case quieter than the 2 stock fans running faster rpms.

It is not hard to swap the parts over. Watch a few videos and read the case manual. You will need the motherboard manual found at Dell.
For hooking up the front panel lights,usb,audio and power switches .
Your motherboard appears to have 1 cpu fan header and 1 Case fan header.
You will need adaptors or a fan controller to controll speeds for more fans.
But without the extra fans it will be a lot cooler than your existing case.

Solution

Flipperz

Honorable
May 13, 2012

Thanks Rick and abekl.