Sign in with
Your question

Asus Sabertooth 990FX wont POST / BOOT

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2012 6:56:27 PM

Hello,

I am a rookie at building computers. It has been a few years since I put my last one together.
So, please bear with my questions.

I recently purchased components to build a new desktop computer. Below is a listing of the primary components being used:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX

CPU: AMD FX 6100 - 6-core, Part # FD6100WMGUSBX

GPU: Nvidia GTX 550Ti

RAM: 16 GB ddr3 1866mhz (VisionTek) memory

CoolMaster - V8 180W Cooling - # RRUV8XBU11113405570

Case: CoolMaster # HAF 932

Initially I carefully assembled all of the components into the case i.e. carefully mounted the CPU into the socket of the Motherboard, installed memoary, graphics card, cooling fan, etc....I also installed a WD SATA harddrive and DVD reader/righter, etc.....

After assembling all of this, I plugged it into power, turned the switch to 'on' on the power supply and then powered up the mother board by depressing the switch on the case. I can not get any display on the monitor...so I assumed that I did not have the video card seated correctly. I removed it and pressed it firmly back into the slot (with all power removed)...After repowering, I have the same results..

So, after reading a few posts, I decided to "bread board" the components to see if I could simply get the motherboard/cpu to POST. From everthing that I can tell, it is not posting...

If you look at the picture below, you can see my current setup. I have it stripped back to bare bones without any hard drive or DVD....

The motherboard has the CPU installed, the cooling fan is installed, power is brought up to the board as well as the CPU power. The memory is installed. The video card is installed.

Still, no changes. I tried to get this thing to boot and it just will not boot. It will not POST. I can not get anything. I even removed all power and attempted to clear the CMOS by using the jumper and replacing it back to its original position.

Note, I am not getting any beeps from the speaker. Also, the CPU and RAM staus LED's do come on for a moment during booting and then go out. But, the "Boot Device LED" does not come on at all...So, no beeps or Boot Device LED..........

I do not know what to do next to try to get this thing to POST/BOOT...I can not see anything that I am missing...

When I removed the mother board from the case, I double checked that the CPU was seated correctly....it was...I even tried to try the factory provided cooling fan for the CPU...still nothing...

I would truely appreciate any ideas that I can try....If you would like a picture of my setup, I would be happy to send one to you.

Thanks a bunch for your review.....Mike

a b B Homebuilt system
January 31, 2012 10:39:23 AM

It is possible that you have an older rev. motherboard whose BIOS has not been updated to handle the FX CPU's. I have seen this alot lately, although in usually older AM3 boards. Since you cannot post, there is no way to truly see the BIOS rev. installed. You might try doing a little digging over at the ASUS site by getting the motherboard revision number off the board itself, and see if you can tell what version BIOS it might have.

If this is the case of the FX bug as I call it, there are really only two fixes. One is to return the board and see if you can exchange it for the latest board revision number. The other option would be to drop an older model CPU into it long enough to update the BIOS. You could either buy a low end Sempron, or borrow any older model CPU from someplace.
February 4, 2012 7:42:54 PM

mkalavitz said:
Hello,

I am a rookie at building computers. It has been a few years since I put my last one together.
So, please bear with my questions.

I recently purchased components to build a new desktop computer. Below is a listing of the primary components being used:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX

CPU: AMD FX 6100 - 6-core, Part # FD6100WMGUSBX

GPU: Nvidia GTX 550Ti

RAM: 16 GB ddr3 1866mhz (VisionTek) memory

CoolMaster - V8 180W Cooling - # RRUV8XBU11113405570

Case: CoolMaster # HAF 932

Initially I carefully assembled all of the components into the case i.e. carefully mounted the CPU into the socket of the Motherboard, installed memoary, graphics card, cooling fan, etc....I also installed a WD SATA harddrive and DVD reader/righter, etc.....

After assembling all of this, I plugged it into power, turned the switch to 'on' on the power supply and then powered up the mother board by depressing the switch on the case. I can not get any display on the monitor...so I assumed that I did not have the video card seated correctly. I removed it and pressed it firmly back into the slot (with all power removed)...After repowering, I have the same results..

So, after reading a few posts, I decided to "bread board" the components to see if I could simply get the motherboard/cpu to POST. From everthing that I can tell, it is not posting...

If you look at the picture below, you can see my current setup. I have it stripped back to bare bones without any hard drive or DVD....

The motherboard has the CPU installed, the cooling fan is installed, power is brought up to the board as well as the CPU power. The memory is installed. The video card is installed.

Still, no changes. I tried to get this thing to boot and it just will not boot. It will not POST. I can not get anything. I even removed all power and attempted to clear the CMOS by using the jumper and replacing it back to its original position.

Note, I am not getting any beeps from the speaker. Also, the CPU and RAM staus LED's do come on for a moment during booting and then go out. But, the "Boot Device LED" does not come on at all...So, no beeps or Boot Device LED..........

I do not know what to do next to try to get this thing to POST/BOOT...I can not see anything that I am missing...

When I removed the mother board from the case, I double checked that the CPU was seated correctly....it was...I even tried to try the factory provided cooling fan for the CPU...still nothing...

I would truely appreciate any ideas that I can try....If you would like a picture of my setup, I would be happy to send one to you.

Thanks a bunch for your review.....Mike

I have the exact same problem the board is either doa or just needs a flash to the bios..pretty upset though because i dont have an extra proc laying around and do not want to buy one for nothing..
Related resources
February 5, 2012 1:12:46 AM

vicislong12 said:
I have the exact same problem the board is either doa or just needs a flash to the bios..pretty upset though because i dont have an extra proc laying around and do not want to buy one for nothing..

Yes, it was a total pain.....It all ended up being a combination of needing the BIOS updated as well as messing around with the memory...

Ended up brining it to a computer shop and had the BIOS updated..Got it to boot OK....Found out that even though I had DDR3 memory 1866Mhz that it was not "certified" by ASUS...

so, we ended up taking 3 of the memory sticks out only leaving 1x4gig stick in slot 1...Now the ocmputer fired up perfect......Strange...

So, now, I need to look for some new memory that is compatible and certified tested by ASUS...But, I am up and running....

Good luck!

MK
July 10, 2012 11:01:36 PM

Asus techs told me that you're better checking the RAM website to see which motherboard is compatible with it... the QVL from Asus is not that accurate, the RAM companies are the ones who test the motherboards with their RAM... but still... my best guess is to double check with the QVL from Asus and match with RAM companies (sometime you can't put more than 1 or 2 RAM sticks )

Cheers
August 11, 2012 2:36:09 AM

I have had the same issues with the Sabertooth 990FX board. System would post until I updated the bios to the latest version and boom on reboot no post. CPU led would flash for a split second then memory led would flash for a split second and the green power led is on and steady. If you check your keyboard you will notice that no power goes to it hence no NUM lock or CAPS lock lights and so on. Using AMD 8150 FX CPU, Corsair 8 gig 2x4 1866Mhz, EVGA GTX 550 Ti 2 gig video card. This is the second MOBO in 2 days. Flashed the BIOS using the EZ flash 2 in the bios both times but loaded a different version each time. BIOS from factory is version 1102 posted ok but had issues trying to load windows. ASUS recommended to upgrade BIOS so I did using a USB flash stick and upgraded to version 1308 which was the above the factory installed one then on reboot no post. Second time around used same method but used the newest version of BIOS and again on reboot NOOO Post!!!!!. I am going back to Gigabyte board never had issues like this before and all ASUS can say is "Do you want to send it in for repairs" what are you for real... Lord no!!!! I'm taking it back and going back to an old reliable GIGA board. BTW reseting the cmos like they want you to try has nothing to do with a flashed BIOS. Once it's flashed that is it if it wont post your out of luck.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
August 11, 2012 3:37:35 AM

Have Asus send you a current BIOS chip (they're actually removable in the Sabertooth boards I believe). This was a common problem with them initially. I would have thought by now they would have cycled out all of the ones with older BIOS versions that didn't support FX out of the box, guess not.
!