trophyman30

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Greetings
I need to build a new computer but with a slight twist. I can't run anything newer than Win XP. I will use this computer to run engraver and plotter/cutter. The software (very expensive) will not run on anything newer. I need at least 2 RS-232 outs and that is about it. Sound not important. Any suggestions as to MOBO and processor (ATX) Has to play nice with Win XP.

Thanks
Pat

Solution
You should be able to add the data connectors as pci or PCI-e expansion cards , or USB cables/hubs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531&IsNodeId=1&Description=RS-232&name=Add-On%20Cards&Order=BESTMATCH

But XP is getting old now
Assuming its 32 bit XP then a build like this makes sense

Athlon X3 [ or X4 ] processor
AM3 motherboard
2 x2 gig of DDR3

It will help if you slipstream Service pack 3 on to a new disk

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd
You should be able to add the data connectors as pci or PCI-e expansion cards , or USB cables/hubs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531&IsNodeId=1&Description=RS-232&name=Add-On%20Cards&Order=BESTMATCH

But XP is getting old now
Assuming its 32 bit XP then a build like this makes sense

Athlon X3 [ or X4 ] processor
AM3 motherboard
2 x2 gig of DDR3

It will help if you slipstream Service pack 3 on to a new disk

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd

Solution

trophyman30

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. The software that I have uses a serial dongle so I'm not sure how it would handle USB or PCI. Guess I could try it and see. So--an AM3 board and processor with 2 gig of DDR3. Any suggestion as to board make?
Thanks
Pat

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Doesn't windows xp use i think maybe 3 gig of ram? and only can utilize i believe a max of 4 gig? I'm not 100% sure i know 32 windows xp is that way and i'm unsure about 64 (does windows xp have 64?)

trophyman30

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
For the past 5 years I've been using my current build, now going bad quickly, which is ASUS P4PE, 2 GIG mem, 1 Seagate 500 gig HD, ATI ALL-IN-WONDER PRO Graphics card - 256 MB. This build has worked great but now the system keeps shutting down after running for a few min. Tried everytihng except new processor and MoBo.

XP wont have drivers for an i3 2100 , and even trying to slipstream them could be an troublesome .
You are best to stick with hardware XP service packs have already addressed , and if its 32 bit windows its worth installing a 2 x 2 gig kit of RAM even though the OS will only see around 3.3 gig of it .

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I know my athlon x2 4400+ plays very nice with xp not sure about the athlon II x2 or not http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=22&sel=Detail%3B112_479_52508_52508 that ones pretty cheap right now and i'm guessing just a step up from my athlon x2 if you can't get something like that to work you may have to go with a new os of windows 7 (about 100.00 on newegg) or go to a used cpu as i doubt there are many old new cpus to be honest and i'd reccomend getting a new os over an old cpu.

I suggested Athlon because its the oldest cpu architecture still current .

But you could look at the release date of Win XP service pack 3 and choose from any processor that predates that time .

You may find very little is available . We see people wanting to upgrade intel socket 775 computers regularly and its not only unwise its usually impossible since there are no good motherboards available

trophyman30

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Wow--U guys are a welth of info and I really appreciate it. I really hate the thought of buying a used P4PE or P4800 off of Ebay. How do I find what processors might be compatible with XP SP3?

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
On April 8, 2014, all support for Windows XP, including security updates and hotfixes, will be terminated.[2] Users will still be able to download old updates and hotfixes from Windows Update. Microsoft recommends that users upgrade to Windows 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

So within the next 2 years they are going to force a new windows on you like it or not >_< i still use and like xp myself so its a shame In my new build i'm planning to do i was planning on getting windows 7 any way. And windows 8 is about to be released soon and then i'llbe stuck on an older version of windows again >_< does it ever stop i wonder?

trophyman30

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I run Win 7 on my latest build but like I said, the software that I use will not run on 7. The software cost me $3200 when I purchased it 8 years ago. I really have to figure out a way to continue to use this product.

Thanks Guys.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I tried responding earlier but my post did not make it >_< AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T Those are all supported by the 64 version of windows xp professional and i would venture to guess you would have no problems if you bought one of those cpus to use with windows xp worth a shot to keep your os.

Stopping support means they are no longer patching it , not that you are forced to change

I still have a machine running Win Me that I use to run a DOS program . Windows still crashes just as often as it always did , but it works for what its needed for .

Interestingly when the internet was awash with the first generation of worms that did so much damage globally that pc was completely immune . Only win 2000 and XP were vulnerable .
The lesson can be that no one is writing viruses or other malware targeting older OS'es so Microsoft support isnt that important

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

Rofl is that not funny but true when they stop supporting the os it becomes safer >_< so exactly why do they charge so much for support that makes us more vulnerable? I guess its one of those questions that can never truely be answered fully.

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
And with microsoft changing their oem tos for windows 7 i'm worried about buying it. If i would have a system problem and need to replace my hard drive then i'd need a whole new oem version. >_< So a person would be better off buying the new full version as it could get costly to build your own pc now without it. I've had my system for over 6 years now and i've replaced my hard drive at least 4 times inthat 6 years. Going by the new oem license agreement that would be over 400.00 for oem alone. Linux is looking better and better to me >_<

sevenus

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
I'm not 100% sure if this would work for you, so it would be best to confirm before going ahead, but you may be able to run your software from XP running in a virtual box on Windows 7 or something. That way you could buy a modern computer (more bang for your buck) and still be able to run your software.