Front Audio ports not working?

ro_div13

Honorable
May 5, 2012
This week I ordered and build my first computer. I downloaded the latest realtek file and the rear audio ports are working but the front ones are not. In the front i have 2 usb ports(which work) along with the audio ones, and i opened up the case again and the wires are connected to the audio location on the motherboard.

My Case is Raidmax ATX-238wu if it helps.
Any suggestions or info?
Thanks in advance.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Either the front audio header on the MB is bad, the connecting wires are bad or the the jacks themselves are bad. Usually when you plug into the front, the software detects whatever you plugged in. You said you used the software from Realtek. Try using the software that came on the MB disk. Many time manufacturers customize the drivers for their own boards. Please post the rest of your hardware specs. as it might help to figure this out. Make sure the audio wires are properly seated down on the front header.

ro_div13

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I already inserted the cd that came with the motherboard and the graphics card, should i try the cd for the motherboard again?

Easiest way to check out my computer parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7KTU

Thanks a lot.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Ok if the front header is not working the MB may be defective. There may be a bios setting to activate the front ports. Also in the realtek controls there are settings for the front jacks. If you click on the folder icon you will open the connector settings. You may have the wrong one selected.

THe FP sound cable usually has two connectors on it. One is for the older AC'97. The other is for HD audio. The connectors are usually labeled. Make sure you have the HDA connector plugged into the motherboard.