Should I purchase New or refurbished?

Schmuck

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Some of the ones that I have looked at on Newegg are models are older but would satisfy my needs. So that is why I am asking.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I have a refurbished HP that was bought in 2005... guess what im typing this on... yup, the same computer. However, I've replaced the power supply, upgraded the processor, memory, and video card (twice) and it still runs like a champ.

its a gamble... sometimes its worth taking and sometimes it isnt.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
oh I meant to add... if this tells ya anything... this computer runs 24/7... besides when I leave for vacation, or need to open'er up.

and its a refurbished... by the manufacterer and ME! :pt1cable:

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

In my opinion there isn't a problem with buying refurbished as long as you do your own due diligence.

Was the computer or part refurbished by a known entity with a good reputation?
Do they have a warranty on their product and work?

I personally like to buy refurbished in certain instances. If I need a number of lower end to moderate workstation computers, I often look over refurbished deals, In many cases I can find what I need inexpensively. It also saves me alot of time over building them myself.

I also look at newer laptops especially if the model is still in production. In alot of cases you have computer that was returned to the manufacturer for various minor reasons. It may be software, cosmetic blemishes or screen issues. I will happily take a $250 discount on a laptop because the first person to buy it returned it due to scratches on the case or dead pixels. A screen swap by the manufacturer means it is as good or better than new.

You are however taking a minor gamble as it may have had numerous issues some of which may not have been fixed or an intermittent or rare problem that you may be able to duplicate regularly but the maker could not.

I personally am in a somewhat unusual situation as I work for a local computer store and see the issues that computers get returned for. In most cases the hardware is fine on returns.