Sign in with
Your question

Building for a friend

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2012 7:56:16 PM

It may be just me being hard on myself, but i dont want my buddy to be stuck w/ a out-dated motherboard/cpu and other decent hardware. Here are the system specs:

MOBO: MSI K9n SLI v2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+
CPU COOLING: Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer w/ Fan
RAM: Corsiar XMS2 800MHz 4GB (3 ATM cause one stick was bad and waiting on other)
GPU: BFG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE 55 896MB
PSU: ModXstream OCZ 600w (modular)
CASE : CM690
HDD: Seagate 500GB / Plus WD 160GB pulled from a Dell.
SOUND CARD: Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

I built this computer from parts laying around and traded for. The only things i had to buy were the PSU and RAM.
I am going to sell it to him, but i was wondering how much i should charge for everything listed minus the CPU/MOBO, CPU COOLING, and the 160GB Hard Drive. Any Ideas?

I also have a personal HTPC, and thats all its used for, and those specs are

MOBO: M3N72-D
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 ->720<- (I believe)
CPU COOLING: Corsair H50
RAM: Corsair XMS2 800MHz 8GB
GPU: GTX 280 (Either BFG OC/ or EVGA SC, cant remember which one i gave to my brother in law.) w/ Accelero Xtreme Cooling HSF
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850w (modular)

I was thinking about using the HTPC in place of what i had laying around so he has a decent chance of enjoying new games.....

He is my friends son, i think 14?, and i dont want to raise the price to much on the system I am preparing for him.

This will be his first computer since he is a console kid. I am trying to break him of that! :lol: 

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to read! :hello: 

Oh duh! The computer will be used for gaming of course! He is a CoD Fan and Zombie killer. With the current setup I ran CoD:BO, which is poorely optimized, a moment ago and it ran fine. So that tells me MW3 should run ok as well

More about : building friend

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 8:06:06 PM

I'd use the top setup if it is his first computer. My HTPC is untouchable since I built its best friend, a large NAS that has around 300 Blu-Ray images so far.

I'd charge like $150 in work around my house at say $15 an hour if it were me, but then again I give a lot of stuff away just to make room for all of my new gear. Then get him into an online game that your son plays, assuming both are doing okay in school already and don't need more study time. :) 
m
l
January 29, 2012 8:23:25 PM

RealBeast said:
I'd use the top setup if it is his first computer. My HTPC is untouchable since I built its best friend, a large NAS that has around 300 Blu-Ray images so far.

I'd charge like $150 in work around my house at say $15 an hour if it were me, but then again I give a lot of stuff away just to make room for all of my new gear. Then get him into an online game that your son plays, assuming both are doing okay in school already and don't need more study time. :) 

The only parts i have recently paid for were:

PSU - 35$ after rebate
HDD - 40$
GTX 260 - Traded a friend his GTS 250 back(He gave to me when i offered my old GTX 460 to him) and WD Cav Black 1TB 3GB/s i picked up for 70$
RAM - 41$ w/ shipping from ebay (Got refunded for the bad one but the new one i bought i put 7 more dollars over the ebay price to get it)

Everything else in the setup was sitting cause i transfered majority to my HTPC.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 8:28:34 PM

Ah, then I'd charge him for the parts you bought plus $10-20 for everything else, and I would warranty it for like 6 months. He still needs mouse, KB, monitor and speakers though right?
m
l
January 29, 2012 8:47:16 PM

Yea, i work on his moms (who is my friend) computer for free. I wouldnt mind keep his computer up to speed. Of course I am going to put programs he needs to run once a month to get rid of all the ***wares. He has his HDTV he consoles on... i think its 32''. He has a generic KB and mouse. I do have an extra Zalman 5.1 headset w/ mic and an older generation Logi G15 and a Razer Mamba which at the time of purchase was almost 50% off. I may keep all of them for my gaming laptop since i do have an extra 23'' LCD monitor that i hook it too :o 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 9:04:25 PM

Great, and I do know your pain.

I provide what seems like 24/7/366 free service to all family and friends, and sometimes friends of friends -- not always by choice.

Even when I give them free computers, like last month I gave my sister a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop, I still spend hours on the phone for the simplest of configuration changes.

I guess that's the downside of getting started building computers and networks back when thinnet was new. At least my brother -- an Intel engineer -- provides in house service for my Mom (they live across country from me); I just send him the parts and he makes it all happen for that user. :) 
m
l
January 29, 2012 9:56:06 PM

Lol, I have been tinkering with computers since i was young. I am still at a young age of 27. I finally have the time to finish my degree in Comp IT since separating from the military. Thanks for the advice beast!
m
l
!