Closed Solved

I m really confused

I am having problem to decide whether i should buy AMD Radeon HD6850 or Nvidia GTX 550Ti for my newly upgraded pc :(

My pc specs are

Intel 2nd Generation Core i7-2600 processor @3.4 GHz, Intel DH67BL Motherboard, 1x4GB DDR3 Ram @1333 MHz, 500 GB Seagate Hard disk and most importantly CoolerMaster Extreme PowerPlus 460 Watt SMPS.

So now depending on my SMPS or PSU, plz do suggest me which one of the above two graphics cards will be the best option for me for the best gameplay @ 1920x1080.

Thnx in advance. :)
44 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about confused
  1. 6850 is better.
  2. Best answer
    That's a 360W PSU, so you can't get too demanding of a graphics card--but I think the ones you're looking at will do. The 6850 is stronger than a GTX 460 768MB: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=315

And the GTX 550Ti is markedly worse than a GTX 460 768MB: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-gf116-radeon-hd-5770,2892-17.html

So I think it's an easy win for the 6850. You should be able to find those for around $120.

Btw, here's why I'm skeptical of your PSU: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
  3. Just did a quick newegg search and asus has gotten some significant accolades for their dcu2 lines of cards, especially their higher end nvidia cards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121419
  4. dalauder, I trust Hardware Secrets more:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/550
    Gabriel says that it is basically a not too bad 430 power supply. However, it is marginal for a 6850.
  5. jsc said:
    dalauder, I trust Hardware Secrets more:
    Gabriel says that it is basically a not too bad 430 power supply. However, it is marginal for a 6850.

So wats ur opinion...460 Watt is RECOMMENDED for my HD6850?

n im gonna buy SAPPHIRE Radeon HD6850.
  6. Reccomended ; no , possible ; yes.
  7. My view is this.

You have a PSU that has a PCIE cable. The card only needs one cable.

The 6850 used about 130 Watts Max. Your PCIE connection on your motherboard should be capable of providing 75W and your PCIE cable should provide 75W. I say should as there is no actual standard but its a pretty much understood rule.

So you have 150 Watts of power available for a card that at most will only ever draw 130, usually its around 110 W.

Graphics card makers always overstate the required power supply to factor in a safety margin.

Personally I would put it in and see what happened but that's not the same as recommending you do the same. My reasoning is that it wont kill the card but it would just not boot the PC if the load was too much and then i would upgrade the PSU.

So there are the facts as i see them.
    I cant in all good conscience recommend you do what I would do its really too tight to call and it is im afraid your call.

If asked for a simple yes or no I would say no as unless its a certain thing.
    Giving potentially bad advice is the last thing any on these boards wish to do.

Mactronix :)
  8. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Reccomended ; no , possible ; yes.

if not possible, what would be the consequences/result as far as the 460 Watt PSU is concerned?? Will it damage the HD6850 or the PSU itself? :( :sweat:
  9. mactronix said:
    My view is this.

You have a PSU that has a PCIE cable. The card only needs one cable.

The 6850 used about 130 Watts Max. Your PCIE connection on your motherboard should be capable of providing 75W and your PCIE cable should provide 75W. I say should as there is no actual standard but its a pretty much understood rule.

So you have 150 Watts of power available for a card that at most will only ever draw 130, usually its around 110 W.

Graphics card makers always overstate the required power supply to factor in a safety margin.

Personally I would put it in and see what happened but that's not the same as recommending you do the same. My reasoning is that it wont kill the card but it would just not boot the PC if the load was too much and then i would upgrade the PSU.

So there are the facts as i see them.
    I cant in all good conscience recommend you do what I would do its really too tight to call and it is im afraid your call.

If asked for a simple yes or no I would say no as unless its a certain thing.
    Giving potentially bad advice is the last thing any on these boards wish to do.

Refer to: http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp for my RECOMMENDED PSU need mentioning my above pc specs and plz suggest me ur opinion based on Cooler Master.
  10. Well based on the cooler master site you are good to go. As I said personally I don't see a problem and I would run that card on that PSU.
    But I will not say you should as its marginal, at least it is if you believe the recommended requirements.

I added a 3 fans and put 4 Memory modules in along side other things such as a high end Motherboard and it came back with 433 Watts so based on what I know about graphics cards and PSU's the 6850 should run on that power supply just fine.

Ok I just checked something as I have that same PSU upstairs in an older system that is now my daughters. It was made using a HD 3850 which I have over clocked and was not a standard card anyway. Its a couple of years or so now and has not died yet.
    The point is its much the same power wise as the 6850.
    The 6850 uses a little more than my 3850 but the overclock would even that up.

As I said I wont flat out say you should do it but again I can only repeat that personally I would and see no reason why there should be an issue.
    Basically it should be fine but don't come running to me crying foul if it dosent.

11. mactronix said:
    Well based on the cooler master site you are good to go. As I said personally I don't see a problem and I would run that card on that PSU.
    But I will not say you should as its marginal, at least it is if you believe the recommended requirements.

I added a 3 fans and put 4 Memory modules in along side other things such as a high end Motherboard and it came back with 433 Watts so based on what I know about graphics cards and PSU's the 6850 should run on that power supply just fine.

Ok I just checked something as I have that same PSU upstairs in an older system that is now my daughters. It was made using a HD 3850 which I have over clocked and was not a standard card anyway. Its a couple of years or so now and has not died yet.
    The point is its much the same power wise as the 6850.
    The 6850 uses a little more than my 3850 but the overclock would even that up.

As I said I wont flat out say you should do it but again I can only repeat that personally I would and see no reason why there should be an issue.
    Basically it should be fine but don't come running to me crying foul if it dosent.

Thanks Mactronix for your valuable views n by the way, i m using only 1 Memory module and 2 fans and 5 USB devices simultaneously without any cooling hardware and im getting only 393 Watts as CoolerMaster RECOMMENDED PSU Wattage with highend Motherboard, i7-2600 Processor, AMD Radeon HD6850, 1 IDE 7200 rpm Hard disk and 1 DVDRAM alongwith max. 95% CPU Utilization and max. 100% System Load without overclocking my CPU. :)
  12. 6850 is better choice but you need to change your psu first at least 600w and 750w for best gaming experience because 450w is minimum recommendation for 6850.
  13. yasir siddiqui said:
    6850 is better choice but you need to change your psu first at least 600w and 750w for best gaming experience because 450w is minimum recommendation for 6850.

I don't get that, you're saying that with extra watts to spare ( 150-200W ) the card will run better or something ?
  14. GreenDutchAlien said:
    I don't get that, you're saying that with extra watts to spare ( 150-200W ) the card will run better or something ?

Its like they didn't read the rest of the posts or something :lol:

15. GreenDutchAlien said:

Yup, extra watts will give better quality because graphics memory clock, core clock and shader needs more watts for extracting maximum resources from graphics card for giving best quality. The company recommendation watts only extract avg resources of a graphics card.
  16. yasir siddiqui said:
    Yup, extra watts will give better quality because graphics memory clock, core clock and shader needs more watts for extracting maximum resources from graphics card for giving best quality. The company recommendation watts only extract avg resources of a graphics card.

[:mousemonkey:5] [:mousemonkey:5] [:mousemonkey:5]

17. Maybe overclocking abilities? You only need 550W/500W, no need 700W.
  18. yasir siddiqui said:

:pfff:
  19. Quote:
    Am i on crack or does this guy talk rubbish?

Not rubbish, gibberish.

@OP First have in mind the range of games you want to play before you even consider buying a video card. As a rule of thumb, any video card priced currently at $150 should be given at least a 650-700w psu.
  20. Quote:
    Well your last post just proved my point saying that in terms of picking out a PSU, it's more reliable to get a higher rated wattage since manufacturing defects can cause discrepancies from the actual wattage and the factory tested results.

6850 requires a bare minimum of 500W which is why 650W or 700W will be safer and more efficient. Think of the PSU efficiency scale as a leftly skewed curve and you'll understand the reasoning.

The cluelessness of the noobs around here is becoming unbearable.
    You don't buy more wattage to make up for a lower quality unit.
    Do yourself and the forum a favor, stop responding to power supply threads.
  21. Ok look im not going to read all through this, anyone who is talking about a GPU in terms of what wattage it requires clearly knows next to nothing about how a GPU and a PSU work. The only thing that matters to the GPU is the Amperage on the +12V rail.

Oh hi dell user I see you responded.
    I thought this thread was done and dusted until these unhelpful posts turned up.

Whats your take on the actual question at hand ?

22. delluser1 said:
    The cluelessness of the noobs around here is becoming unbearable.
    You don't buy more wattage to make up for a lower quality unit.
    Do yourself and the forum a favor, stop responding to power supply threads.

My reasoning was wrong, so can you please explain how would you choose a power supply?
  23. Quote:
    Well your last post just proved my point saying that in terms of picking out a PSU, it's more reliable to get a higher rated wattage since manufacturing defects can cause discrepancies from the actual wattage and the factory tested results.

6850 requires a bare minimum of 500W which is why 650W or 700W will be safer and more efficient. Think of the PSU efficiency scale as a leftly skewed curve and you'll understand the reasoning.

i have a pc that has a 380watt seasonic. sii 380.. it powers a 905e, 6850, 4GB 800ddr2, 750GB wd7501aals, and asus m3n78-vm... and everything runs perfectly even under furmark and prime95 together.. the psu fan gets slightly noisy, but since it's in a desk it's not unbearable. this set-up will also run a 560ti, but that is all, because the psu's fan makes too much noise. (i suppose that the quality of the seasonic 380 is why you can 'stretch' the psu to work comfortably with a 6850' and with strain under a 560ti... (prime95 and furmark together)

in other words the 750 watt psu is overkill, (one should always buy a quality brand name psu... seasonic, enermax, antec, ocx...you know.

to answer the original question... the 6850 is great because it doesn't use alot of power... but it is a bit slow... get a 6900 series amd, or a 5 series nvidia, a 560ti (while uses alot of power 'gaming' it idles at approx. same power level as the 6850.
    or you could wait for the new gpu to arrive.

the 560ti will require a 560watt or greater psu if only because the fan noise will be less . but the 400watt seasonic fanless would work perfectly.

a 6850 only needs a single pcie cable, thus it will not need 750 watts (the 560ti needs 2pcie ... thus a minimum of 460... )

BTW techpowerup is a great site for the power consumption of the gpu's max,min,and idle .

disclaimer... the system listed works for me, but your mileage will vary... lol
  24. mactronix said:
    Ok look im not going to read all through this, anyone who is talking about a GPU in terms of what wattage it requires clearly knows next to nothing about how a GPU and a PSU work. The only thing that matters to the GPU is the Amperage on the +12V rail.

Oh hi dell user I see you responded.
    I thought this thread was done and dusted until these unhelpful posts turned up.

Whats your take on the actual question at hand ?

Now can you tell me what is the difference in performance between 192-bit and 256-bit GDDR5 graphics card?
  25. Of course no problem.
    The numbers 192 and 256 refer to the size of the memory bus, usually refereed to as the width.
    A very simplistic way to look at it is a 192mm water pipe and a 256mm water pipe. All things being equal you will get more water (Data) through the larger pipe per second.
    AMD use a 128Bit bus on lower end cards like the 5770 and they say it has no effect on the performance. Tests do seem to back this up.
    Nvidia recently made a GTX 460 card with a 192 bit bus and a smaller amount of memory 768mb compared to the 1GB memory version which had a 256bit bus.
    Both the memory amount and the reduced bus mean a cheaper card but also a lower performing card.
    When talking about the same chip like the GTX 460 its easy to see the difference.
    However you can not just assume that because a card has a smaller bus or less memory it will be slower.
    Unfortunately its quite a bit more complicated than that.

See these reviews same card different memory specs

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_460_Cyclone_OC_768_MB/10.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_460_Cyclone_OC_1_GB/10.html

26. Yup, extra watts will give better quality because graphics memory clock, core clock and shader needs more watts for extracting maximum resources from graphics card for giving best quality. The company recommendation watts only extract avg resources of a graphics card.

Great ! Gonne get meself a 2000W psu and blow the living hell out of my GTX 560Ti, it will be a MARS !!!!!
    Thanks mate, good info !
  27. jsc said:
    dalauder, I trust Hardware Secrets more:
    Yeah, I read that. Like the EggsXpert link I gave says, it'll give you 75% of what it's rated for. The review also states that it'll go out of spec. Although I can't recommend buying that PSU, I suppose I don't have to advise replacement. It'll handle a 6850 alright...but the GTX 560Ti is questionable.
  28. OP--in case there's any confusion, yasir siddiqui and irilx have no idea what they're talking about.

EDIT: My apologies for calling you out irilx. There's nothing wrong with not knowing something so long as you're willing to learn.
  29. redeye said:
    i have a pc that has a 380watt seasonic. sii 380.. it powers a 905e, 6850, 4GB 800ddr2, 750GB wd7501aals, and asus m3n78-vm... and everything runs perfectly even under furmark and prime95 together.. the psu fan gets slightly noisy, but since it's in a desk it's not unbearable. this set-up will also run a 560ti, but that is all, because the psu's fan makes too much noise. (i suppose that the quality of the seasonic 380 is why you can 'stretch' the psu to work comfortably with a 6850' and with strain under a 560ti... (prime95 and furmark together)

in other words the 750 watt psu is overkill, (one should always buy a quality brand name psu... seasonic, enermax, antec, ocx...you know.

to answer the original question... the 6850 is great because it doesn't use alot of power... but it is a bit slow... get a 6900 series amd, or a 5 series nvidia, a 560ti (while uses alot of power 'gaming' it idles at approx. same power level as the 6850.
    or you could wait for the new gpu to arrive.

the 560ti will require a 560watt or greater psu if only because the fan noise will be less . but the 400watt seasonic fanless would work perfectly.

a 6850 only needs a single pcie cable, thus it will not need 750 watts (the 560ti needs 2pcie ... thus a minimum of 460... )

BTW techpowerup is a great site for the power consumption of the gpu's max,min,and idle .

disclaimer... the system listed works for me, but your mileage will vary... lol
    You are about 50% right. But none of us here (excluding irilx and yasir siddiqui) are recommending PSUs based off of fan noise. The fan makes noise because it's hot. It's hot because it's nearing its max power output. The amount of time parts spend being hot limits their lifespan. So that's why you don't want a Seasonic 380W pulling 380W all the time. You probably don't want to regularly have it over about 80% of that.

A GTX 470 SLI rig (non OC'd) won't pull 750W, but people still recommend 750W because it'll pull 650W+ during gaming for extended periods. A 650W PSU might be able to handle it, but it wouldn't last as long.

A 560Ti can get by just fine with a good 450W unit. That said, there aren't a lot of common high quality 450W units, so you'll probably see a recommendation of a Corsair CX500 at the low end for a GTX 560Ti build.
  30. trustworthy2011 said:
    Now can you tell me what is the difference in performance between 192-bit and 256-bit GDDR5 graphics card?
    Mactronix fully explained this and brought up the important point "However you can not just assume that because a card has a smaller bus or less memory it will be slower. Unfortunately its quite a bit more complicated than that."
    You'll want to compare benchmarks between cards to determine what's faster, not the memory bus width. Here's a rough gaming graphics card ranking that you might find handy: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.html

mactronix said:
    I wasn't going to say anything and let you finish up this thread, but there was SO MUCH misinformation, that I felt the need to clear it up for the OP.
  31. mactronix said:
    Of course no problem.
    The numbers 192 and 256 refer to the size of the memory bus, usually refereed to as the width.
    A very simplistic way to look at it is a 192mm water pipe and a 256mm water pipe. All things being equal you will get more water (Data) through the larger pipe per second.
    AMD use a 128Bit bus on lower end cards like the 5770 and they say it has no effect on the performance. Tests do seem to back this up.
    Nvidia recently made a GTX 460 card with a 192 bit bus and a smaller amount of memory 768mb compared to the 1GB memory version which had a 256bit bus.
    Both the memory amount and the reduced bus mean a cheaper card but also a lower performing card.
    When talking about the same chip like the GTX 460 its easy to see the difference.
    However you can not just assume that because a card has a smaller bus or less memory it will be slower.
    Unfortunately its quite a bit more complicated than that.

See these reviews same card different memory specs

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_460_Cyclone_OC_768_MB/10.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_460_Cyclone_OC_1_GB/10.html

So, guys plz give me the bottom line or final conclusion.... depending on bus width and memory and my CoolerMaster 460 Watts PSU, which one i should go for buying... SAPPHIRE HD6850 or ZOTAC GTX 550 Ti??
  32. I told you in my first post that it's an easy win for the 6850.

Get the 6850--I'd go for the cheapest one you can find.
  33. I am telling about whole power consumption of graphics card and system. I am not kidding and that is my experience which i have shared.

My First built i have installed GTS250 1gb with psu 450w (minimum recommendation of nvidia) but sometimes i was facing lagging issues and sometimes i saw avg graphics with high settings because During average computing, my system was pulling approximately 230w - 250W of power but if I play a 3D game for several hours, the power usage going to increase around 450W of total power so its mean that a 450W psu is not enough and could have voltage problems, so i bought 600w-cooler master psu and i saw improvement in graphics quality, graphics performance and also system performance and i did not see lagging issues again because graphics card and system was extracting minimum resources due to limited psu.

I hope you guys got my point.
    Thanks.
  34. Best answer selected by trustworthy2011.
  35. As i said HD 6850 is better choice, click this link and see the difference between GTX550ti and Radeon HD 6850 then decide which card you should buy.

http://www.hwcompare.com/9711/geforce-gtx-550-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6850/
  36. Thanks
  37. trustworthy2011 said:
    Best answer selected by trustworthy2011.
    WOW... :o nnYou just gave "Best Answer" to the most idiotic poster here. I'm sorry I tried to help you. You had a whole bunch of knowledgeable "Veteran" and "Addict" status people--even one of the moderators!--here telling you that yasir siddiqui has no idea what he's talking about and you completely ignored all of us.nn@OP & yasir siddiqui--You guys can go have fun screwing up your own computers, but please don't give anyone on these forums advice about power supplies because you guys don't know anything. Sorry if that's mean, but it's true. I don't want you guys spreading misinformation to people who come here asking questions in good faith.nnAnd btw, yasir siddiqui, that's the most useless benchmark ever that you just gave him to judge performance with. Seriously!? Memory bandwidth and texel rate is what you want the guy to make a judgement on? Here's what you should be looking at:nGTX 550Ti stomped by GTX 460 768MB: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-gf116-radeon-hd-5770,2892-17.htmlnHD 6850 easily beats GTX 460 768MB: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=315nYou have to use gaming benchmarks--not theoretical bandwidths and fillrates.
  38. yasir siddiqui said:
    I am telling about whole power consumption of graphics card and system. I am not kidding and that is my experience which i have shared.

My First built i have installed GTS250 1gb with psu 450w (minimum recommendation of nvidia) but sometimes i was facing lagging issues and sometimes i saw avg graphics with high settings because During average computing, my system was pulling approximately 230w - 250W of power but if I play a 3D game for several hours, the power usage going to increase around 450W of total power so its mean that a 450W psu is not enough and could have voltage problems, so i bought 600w-cooler master psu and i saw improvement in graphics quality, graphics performance and also system performance and i did not see lagging issues again because graphics card and system was extracting minimum resources due to limited psu.

I hope you guys got my point.
    Thanks.
    You just don't get it, do you? http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/7/73/JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg/618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

It's about the amperage on the +12V, not the watts on the label of a garbage PSU.
  39. ^+1 and a lot ! :ouch:

Thats the most idiotic best answer i saw and i got meself some questeneble best answers . . . Jeez !

Thought i was the loony. :heink:
  40. Well i woke up this morning and .....Well :pfff: :non: :ouch: :o :??: :fou: :pt1cable: :heink: :cry: [:lectrocrew:1] [:lectrocrew:1] [:lectrocrew:1] [:lectrocrew:1] [:lectrocrew:1]

Yep i think that covers it

41. GreenDutchAlien said:
    ^+1 and a lot ! :ouch:

Thats the most idiotic best answer i saw and i got meself some questeneble best answers . . . Jeez !

Thought i was the loony. :heink:

Finally tell me which one will b the best GDDR5 graphics card for me within 9000 INR....bcoz my budget is fixed and most importantly i have my single PCIe connector 460 Watts PSU.. :(
  42. Better ask Yassir, i'm pretty much done with this thread.
  43. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product