May 13, 2012
Specs:
BIOSTAR TForce TP35D2-A7 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Core 2 duo E7200 @ 2.53GHz
GeForce GTX 275 896mb
2 x 2gb G.Skill DDR2 800
Windows 7 32 bit
1680x1050 resolution

I've had this for 4 years and was thinking if it was worthwhile to upgrade it or just build a new one. Don't have much problem playing one of the most recent games I have (Mass Effect 3) but newer games coming out need some pretty high specs. I feel like my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu so I'm trying to find ways to imrpove on that. What I'd like to do and have a problem at the moment is to record and livestream games. Recording/livestreaming games put a huge stress on my cpu, it goes up to 100% and start lagging. I also want to play modern games on highest settings without any fps lag.

What I'd like to do for the cpu is to either oc it to 4Ghz or switch to a quad core. I heard how this is a beast cpu and people were ocing really high but I'd have to buy a good fan. I was thinking about switching over to the Q3000 @ 2.50 GHz but I wasn't sure how much an improvement that would make, pretty limited with choices having a LGA 775 socket. I was also thinking about putting 2 more 2gb ram sticks to make it 8gb and upgrading to 64 bit if that would make a difference too. And one more thing, would installing the OS on a SSD be a good improvement overall?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you for spending time to read and answer. I really don't want to drop $1000+ on a new pc :sweat: I believe my pc is still in its prime years so I'd like to take the cheaper route.

Solution
It's hard to find a new quad core C2Q processor anymore. I would look on someplace like ebay for a good used one. Yes, upgrading your processor to a Q9xxx would make a huge difference. The GTX 275 896MB is still 'adequate' for gaming at 1680x1050. But as you've noticed, you need more/faster CPU cores to do what you intend.

You are correct, the 8GB would also help with multitasking (as long as you have a 64 O/S). While it's always better to upgrade to a more modern CPU/GPU/motherboard/RAM combination, there's still plenty of life left in the C2Q line of processors/boards as long as you opt for the faster Q/QX9xxx series. But when finances allow, it is time to upgrade.

Btw, I don't think O/Cing the dual core would be the answer.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It's hard to find a new quad core C2Q processor anymore. I would look on someplace like ebay for a good used one. Yes, upgrading your processor to a Q9xxx would make a huge difference. The GTX 275 896MB is still 'adequate' for gaming at 1680x1050. But as you've noticed, you need more/faster CPU cores to do what you intend.

You are correct, the 8GB would also help with multitasking (as long as you have a 64 O/S). While it's always better to upgrade to a more modern CPU/GPU/motherboard/RAM combination, there's still plenty of life left in the C2Q line of processors/boards as long as you opt for the faster Q/QX9xxx series. But when finances allow, it is time to upgrade.

Btw, I don't think O/Cing the dual core would be the answer.

Solution