The future of added Vram; how long will 1GB suffice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'm not an adopter of Eyefinity, multiple monitor/3d gaming or of gigantic resolutions, 1080P in 1920x1200 is perfect for me; but then why is there such a growing clamor for more VRAM space and why are ATI clearly running at the frontline of the crusade for standardizing 2GB of VRAM on the majority of their top cards? Is it a business tactic to crowd out the lower VRAM nvidia cards and, if so, what impact will that have on game development? Will my SLI'd 1GB Zotac 560 TI AMP! gpus be completely irrelevant in two year's time?

Ahhh, late night musings....I leave you all to it as I've got to get up at the buttcrack of dawn and fly from California to Florida. I'll be on laterz.

Solution
in my opinion AMD offer 2GB cards because of their eyefinity thing. when playing at very high resolution you're going to need a lot of VRAM.

what impact will that have on game development?

i don't think there will be much different. maybe not until next generation console coming out.

Will my SLI'd 1GB Zotac 560 TI AMP! gpus be completely irrelevant in two year's time?

performance wise i don't think so. will it choke because of lack in VRAM? it might be. as long as you don't play any higher than 1080p or multi monitor 1GB still fine with a few exception to some games.
in my opinion AMD offer 2GB cards because of their eyefinity thing. when playing at very high resolution you're going to need a lot of VRAM.

what impact will that have on game development?

i don't think there will be much different. maybe not until next generation console coming out.

Will my SLI'd 1GB Zotac 560 TI AMP! gpus be completely irrelevant in two year's time?

performance wise i don't think so. will it choke because of lack in VRAM? it might be. as long as you don't play any higher than 1080p or multi monitor 1GB still fine with a few exception to some games.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.