Mike L

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hi my computer will shut off randomly during gaming here are my specs

CPU - Intel Core I5 2500K
GPU - AMD Radeon 6950
PSU - Raidmax RX-630SS (630W)
RAM - 8GB

I feel that when I start gaming maybe the power supply was being drained to much and now is on the verge of death. I am not sure though I have had the build a month now.

tlmck

Distinguished
It is a good possibility. Raidmax is pretty much garbage for reaons too numerous to mention. For such a rig, you need at least an 80 plus certified(Bronze is preferable) 550 watt or better from a trusted maker like Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, or XFX.

+1 to everything above. However, you should probably check your temperatures. If that's the problem, you'll be wasting your money on a new PSU. Get MSI Afterburner to check your GPU temps in-game, and get HWMonitor or Speedfan to check your CPU temps while running Prime95.

tlmck

Distinguished

True also, but a poor PSU can also cause such temp issues with improper voltage, at least in my experience.

Mike L

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Thing is my computer ran fine up until yesterday I fear that the crappy PSU I bought for $45 is gonna pass.

tlmck

Distinguished
I have always particularly enjoyed how Raidmax "interprets" Ohms Law on their PSU labels. Some of my old engineering school professors would be rolling in their graves. :lol:

Even more disturbing is that this thing sports Nvidia SLi certification. I wonder if Nvidia even knows about it?

BTW, you did not mention which motherboard, but if the new PSU fails to fix it, the mobo would be the next check. Hopefully the Raidmax did not damage it.

tlmck

Distinguished
MSI motherboards can be problematic as well, although it is usually more glitchy type problems than power failure stuff. Of course even top motherboards are not immune to flaky PSUs.

One other thing I should not ask is whether you are overclocking the CPU. On solid boards like ASUS or Gigabyte, this is generally not a concern, but with the lesser grade components used by makers such as MSI and Asrock, this could be a problem to look at. Couple this with a poor PSU and you have a recipe for disaster.

I would replace the Raidmax regardless as it does not list any sort of power protection scheme. This means if it fails, the rest of your system will likely go with it.

Other than efficiency certification, protection circuitry is what you are paying for in the better power supplies. And in order to get the efficiency certifications, you have you use better grade components.

tlmck

Distinguished
I was referring to every MSI and Asrock mobo I have ever seen or used both recent and past. My local Fry's Electronics has these out on a large display section along with just about every other brand.

When you make note of the components they use, the traces on the back, the board stock, as well as things like solder joints, etc., it is clear that they are not in the same league as ASUS or Gigabyte. After working in electronic manufacturing for 17 years, I know good product when I see it.

Couple that with all the "legitimate" posts I read on this and other sites regarding MSI and Asrock motherboard problems, including their current offerings, I cannot in all good conscience recommend such products. If other folks want to, that is certainly their right.

Mike L

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Yea no I am not OCing the CPU nor have I ever or even considered it. I am defintly replacing the PSU also am thinking about installing water cooling my case allows easy water cooling so I thingk it will be good.

Really Thank you for all your help.

Why wouldn't you OC? Overclocking doesn't have to mean trophy overclocking, the practice of going for the highest possible clocks by any means necessary. With an excellent OCer like the 2500K, it just means getting a whole bunch of free, safe, extra performance. In a few years, when this CPU starts to feel balky, it'll be like getting a new processor for free.

Also, you don't need water cooling with or without an overclock, though it would be especially pointless without one.

Still. You'll be absolutely fine on air. Here's what I've been telling would-be water coolers recently: just know that it's going to be about the aesthetics, not about the performance. The performance isn't worth the money. If you want to do it for the aesthetics, that's fine, but know that that's what you're doing.