Phenom in November?

Will AMD keep their schedule n the face of losses?

• No, they couldn''t boil an egg on time.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • No, they will run out of money by then

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Yes, they are still the number 2 CPU manuf

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Yes, they are still number 7 in IC sales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, if they are lucky

Votes: 35 34.7%

• Total voters

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Digitimes is quoting mobo manufs as saying they expect four Phenom SKUs to launch in November of this year.

One will be FX X4
Two will be non-FX X4
One will be X2

Looks like they are keeping to their schedules. Mr. Contradiction Fuad is also saying that they will be running a a max of 2.8GHz on Stepping B2 along with Budapest.

Amazingly though there has been no word of 8xxx, only 2xxx on the SMP side.

Agena 2.8GHz

Digitimes Phenom

samael

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I would be amazed if Phenom launches at 2,8 GHz ... I would assume they will launch it at 2,4 GHz and save the higher frequencies for Penryn.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I would be amazed if Phenom launches at 2,8 GHz ... I would assume they will launch it at 2,4 GHz and save the higher frequencies for Penryn.

More than likely. The point was that it will reportedly run that fast at launch so OCers can get their fill.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

More than likely. The point was that it will reportedly run that fast at launch so OCers can get their fill.

Could you link to that report? The majority of reports Ive seen indicate that 2.4Ghz is as fast as AMD will be able to get K10 to run with any kind of stability to make a CY07 release, meaning K10 will be of no interest whatsoever to overclockers.

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Whenever...
Biostar just releasd details on the new TF560-A2+ MoBo thats ready for the AM2+.

At least one board is waiting for it. Wether or not it takes DDR3 is unknown.

f61

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Could you link to that report? The majority of reports Ive seen indicate that 2.4Ghz is as fast as AMD will be able to get K10 to run with any kind of stability to make a CY07 release, meaning K10 will be of no interest whatsoever to overclockers.

Well, if you read the link from Fudzilla, you'll see where it's being reported. He is very contradictory but when S7 from xtremesystems posted his findings he stated that the sample he had ran at the same speed as the C2Q he compared it to. He said Kentsfield which means 2.66GHz. Now Clovertown runs slower but he didn't mention it.

I doubt they can't get an extra 140MHz out of it. But also they are releasing at 1.9, 2.1, so they should at least get to 2.6GHz if not 2.8.

I think what we'll all find is that 10h will be better than brisbane because it was designed for 4 stressors while Brisbane was a shrink basically from 130nm (original A64).

I guess t's similar to everyone hollaring "they're selling all their Fabs," they're going to try to design CPUs without them."

DOOM AND GLOOM.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I usually don't participate in AMD speculation, but I'm of the thought that maybe, just maybe, someone will tie up Henri and throw him in a closet so they can get back to business. :lol:

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Can you please define the word launch for me?

What does Digitimes say? Sounds to me like they will go out DVT in Sept Oct and approach some type of volume by Nov.

Well I want the AMD dictionary definition of launch :p

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What does Digitimes say? Sounds to me like they will go out DVT in Sept Oct and approach some type of volume by Nov.

Well I want the AMD dictionary definition of launch :p

I don't think I can help you with that. It sounds like a personal problem.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Well, if you read the link from Fudzilla, you'll see where it's being reported. He is very contradictory but when S7 from xtremesystems posted his findings he stated that the sample he had ran at the same speed as the C2Q he compared it to. He said Kentsfield which means 2.66GHz. Now Clovertown runs slower but he didn't mention it.

I doubt they can't get an extra 140MHz out of it. But also they are releasing at 1.9, 2.1, so they should at least get to 2.6GHz if not 2.8.

I think what we'll all find is that 10h will be better than brisbane because it was designed for 4 stressors while Brisbane was a shrink basically from 130nm (original A64).

I guess t's similar to everyone hollaring "they're selling all their Fabs," they're going to try to design CPUs without them."

DOOM AND GLOOM.

I had read the link. That was the only report you had? Nothing even from the Inq to corroborate?

They cant sell their fabs until they pay off their loan as per their agreement.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
Digitimes is quoting mobo manufs as saying they expect four Phenom SKUs to launch in November of this year.

One will be FX X4
Two will be non-FX X4
One will be X2

Looks like they are keeping to their schedules. Mr. Contradiction Fuad is also saying that they will be running a a max of 2.8GHz on Stepping B2 along with Budapest.

Agena 2.8GHz

Digitimes Phenom

Baron, you wanna take a stab at the GP-7100 batch price?

I'm just curious, cause I'm thinking these things are gonna have to be pretty cheap to remain competive.

I mean, even if Phenom X4 GP-7100 is smoking fast, Intel will just lower prices some more on its own quads, right? I mean, in practice they could start charging $90.00 for the Q6600, which after all will be a 2nd tier chip on its 2nd tier process come Xmas time.

Just don't see how Phenom is gonna gain much traction in the desktop market at a price point where AMD will actually be able to recoup development costs.

Definition: Releasing the product to market. See also "hard launch" and "soft launch."

Hard launch: Having ample quantity of product in retailers' stock on release day so that customers can buy it. See NVIDIA 8800.

Soft launch: Announcing that a product has been released and offering it for sale with none actually shipping for an extended period of time. See Lenovo ThinkPad x61.

I'd probably be buying the x61 tablet if they'd have it shipped to me before school starts back up as my old semi-portable died. Granted I do start a month earlier than most others (yay...not!) but a month is fricking ridiculous. Get on the ball, guys.

salvador

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2004
Baron, Kentsfield is also at 2,4Ghz :) And henche AMD will come out in nice clean bins, he probably didn't mean the 2,66Ghz Core Quad. If Budapest comes out around 2,8Ghz, then good for AMD.

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Hey wouldn't his mean that mobo manufactures are getting working engineering samples? If that if the case it looks like they've got 4-5months to fix the remaining bugs, make the core more efficient and get it up to speed. :?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

One will be FX X4
Two will be non-FX X4
One will be X2

Agena 2.8GHz

Digitimes Phenom

Baron, you wanna take a stab at the GP-7100 batch price?

I'm just curious, cause I'm thinking these things are gonna have to be pretty cheap to remain competive.

I mean, even if Phenom X4 GP-7100 is smoking fast, Intel will just lower prices some more on its own quads, right? I mean, in practice they could start charging $90.00 for the Q6600, which after all will be a 2nd tier chip on its 2nd tier process come Xmas time.

Just don't see how Phenom is gonna gain much traction in the desktop market at a price point where AMD will actually be able to recoup development costs.

Certain Kentsfields are above $1000 as are CLovertown. If Phenom is faster AMD can sell ti for a premium over C2Q. Even charging similar prices will be OK for profits.

Intel's current strategy has their gross margin down to 19% from 30-40% so they need to just get to the business of selling CPUs and not "price warring."

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey wouldn't his mean that mobo manufactures are getting working engineering samples? If that if the case it looks like they've got 4-5months to fix the remaining bugs, make the core more efficient and get it up to speed. :?

The fact that people did have systems running at Computex tells me it's par for the course for the smaller company.

We don't know what any bugs were so it's impossible to say "they have to fix."

The guy at xtremesystems had his engr sample in Feb/Mar. I'll see if I can find the thread.

The issue is more than likely the split planes that 10h has. The server parts don't have the HT3 chipset (yet) so that is probably the BIOS problem Computex reported.

Barcelona does add a lot of internal improvements that may conflict with the older HT BIOS. I'm speculating though.

sailer

Splendid
I'm not very confident that AMD can get the Phenom out as soon as they say. Guess its because I've grown accustumed to their announcements, delays, and further delays. At the same time, I hope they do get it out, both because I want AMD to remain a credible company that competes with Intel and I would would like to try a high clocked one of these CPUs.

The one thing I really hope is that when it comes out, the motherboards will be using DDR3. Otherwise it might be relegated to a back burner while Intel goes forward into DDR3 technology.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I'm not very confident that AMD can get the Phenom out as soon as they say. Guess its because I've grown accustumed to their announcements, delays, and further delays. At the same time, I hope they do get it out, both because I want AMD to remain a credible company that competes with Intel and I would would like to try a high clocked one of these CPUs.

The one thing I really hope is that when it comes out, the motherboards will be using DDR3. Otherwise it might be relegated to a back burner while Intel goes forward into DDR3 technology.

That would sink AMD. If they are going to do this they must ensure chips are DDR2 compatible too.

sailer

Splendid
Fine, let them use both DDR2 and DDR3. Some of the Intel motherboards are being designed for that and I think its a good option. That allows people to make either a gradual change or step up to all new tech. I expect that during the next few months, the DDR3 ram will be getting better and coming down in cost, both of which will help us, the consumers.

sailer

Splendid
I agree that AMD is making a mistake in holding out for a November release. It should be sooner. Being late just plays into Intel's hands. At the same time, from what I've read so far, AMD is having trouble getting their CPUs to work with motherboards at high clock speeds, so that might explain the delay. Better a product that works correctly than one that fails to perform.

As for Intel making hardware beyond the capabilities of the software developers, that is common, not just for Intel, but also AMD and the graphics card companies. No software developer wants to design something for a system that doesn't exist yet, or worse, may change before its released and then leave the software without any hardware to use it. To an extent, its a chicken and egg thing. One has to come first, but which one, hardware or software?

deerhunter716

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I USED to be an AMD fanboy; but Intel is flat out kicking their ass. Who cares if they launch in November or not? Intel already has chips out that will beat what AMD releases. I saw that writing on the wall a while ago and really intrigued by Intel and cannot wait to get a Q6600.

AMD is way late on this and in serious catch-up mode. Hell I bet the stuff they release in Q1 2008 will not be as fast as stuff Intel had out this past spring. They made the mistake and sat on their asses when they claimed the speed crown for a few years. All it did was piss Intel off and they did something about it. Now AMD is soaking up debt trying to catch up, but still way behind.

TRENDING THREADS