Your question

BSOD...

Tags:
  • Blue Screen
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 13, 2012 7:26:51 PM

Hey y'all. My win7 build

I'm suspecting the opti-arc AD-7280S since every third time I use it to transfer the full contents of a cd or dvd I get BSODed while transferring.
This is the only time my win7 install crashes.
This is what windows 7 reports

BCCode: 7a
BCP1: 0000000000000020
BCP2: FFFFFFFFC000009D
BCP3: FFFFFA800F0587C8
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I could upload the dump files if anybody is interested, either the .dmp file

I have the sabertooth P67 (i7-2600K not overclocked) and have changed the optical drive SATA port but win7 still BSODs me when I use the drive.
It's not the memory, I ran memtest (6 passes) and no probs
I cannot find the firmware for the drive, assuming there is more recent firmware.

Any help would be appreciated, please let me know if I left something out. Thanks

More about : bsod

May 13, 2012 7:52:24 PM

start with a check disc drive could have bad sectors
m
l
May 13, 2012 8:15:10 PM

um, on an optical drive? It's my optical drive that's making win 7 crash...
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2012 8:25:16 PM

could short on the coneector cable or the power one directly to the board do you have another one to test or remove it to see if you still get bsod also some drive need driver see the maker if it does not have a firmaware update
m
l
May 13, 2012 10:24:28 PM

I have a Sony opti-arc AD-7280S and here is the website for the product

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/productshalf-height-drive...

I don't have another optical drive but the problem occurred on different mobo SATA ports, so you're right, it is probably either the hardware, power connector or Sata cable. I'll discount the power connector (brand new corsair 750W and no other problems) so we're down to the hardware or the Sata cable. Is this thinking process correct? Cuz I still don't know how to solve this problem :ouch: 
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:02:12 PM

i would see if your ram on the mb qal list. sound like when it writting big files there some data errors that happing.
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:07:43 PM

smorizio said:
i would see if your ram on the mb qal list. sound like when it writting big files there some data errors that happing.

no I checked my ram with memtest (6 passes) and for example I took the dvd I wanted to copy to my data HDD and took it to my laptop and put the data on an usb stick, plugged the usb to my desktop and five minutes later about 4 gigs to my data HDD no probs, so it's not the ram.
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:09:34 PM

You may want to try using MemTest86+ (with the +) if you haven't been using that and you might want to try doing it with only one stick of RAM installed at a time.

I haven't seen a difference using 1 stick at a time, but I have heard that it does make a difference sometimes.

If that doesn't turn up anything, I would just buy a different DVD Drive, the DRW-B1ST in my signature is the best in its class by far. It is really cheap for how good it is.
m
l
May 14, 2012 12:01:57 AM

Raiddinn said:
You may want to try using MemTest86+ (with the +) if you haven't been using that and you might want to try doing it with only one stick of RAM installed at a time.

I haven't seen a difference using 1 stick at a time, but I have heard that it does make a difference sometimes.

If that doesn't turn up anything, I would just buy a different DVD Drive, the DRW-B1ST in my signature is the best in its class by far. It is really cheap for how good it is.

Thanks Raiddinn, I'll look into the DRW-B1ST, or may even a blu-ray (though for the life of me I can't imagine why I would need one after purchasing my ps3) player.

But I did use MemTest86+ though not one stick at a time. I really suspect something going on between my optical disk and motherboard, a Sabertooth p67, or maybe even my data HDD, a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB drive.
m
l
May 14, 2012 12:21:41 AM

I just wanted to say I typod it, its DRW-24B1ST as per my signature.

However, if you don't need it then why not just disconnect the CD drive you already have and not worry about it?
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:37:35 AM

Raiddinn said:
I just wanted to say I typod it, its DRW-24B1ST as per my signature.

However, if you don't need it then why not just disconnect the CD drive you already have and not worry about it?

Just because I have several discs that I might want to play on my desktop is all...

well,.. I guess I'll have to go to a forum that'll read my minidump file... if only I knew of one...
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:39:37 AM

post it here someone could be reading it and try to find the right answer for you
m
l
May 14, 2012 11:58:32 AM

Host it somewhere and link it here.

- Edit -
Just disconnect your CD drive for now and see if your errors go away.

If they do, try putting the SATA cable that was in the CD drive into the hard drive instead and see what happens.

If the errors go away and stay gone after both things are done, then you probably just need a new CD drive.
- End edit -
m
l
May 14, 2012 4:03:52 PM

I actually had to look this one up...

Quote:
Bug Check 0x7A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

Looks like either a HDD or RAM problem, since we're dealing with paging. Memtest86 and Prime95 [blend test] would validate RAM.
m
l
May 14, 2012 7:45:03 PM

I came across similar information, but I am not entirely sure how much I trust it.

It would be nice if it could be proved that it doesn't follow the CD drive and that the problem exists without having it installed.
m
l
!