Is this a decent gaming rig?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying a gaming system.. this is what the specs are. Will I be able to max out most new games like BF3 and Skyrim? I also want to play and stream HD video.

Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3ghz 6mb Retail Box
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Desktop Motherboard
G.skill 8GB Kit DDR3 Ripjaws X C9 1600mhz
Silicon Power Velox V30 2.5" 120GB Ssd Sata3 550/510
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" Green 2TB 5900/64mb/SATA3
Evga Gtx560 Ti 850m/4104m 1gb/DVI/HDMI
Samsung BLU-RAY Combo 12x (SH-B123A) Retail
Thortech Thunderbolt 850w 80plus Gold Modular Psu
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Oem/64bit
Corsair Carbide 400 case
Lg 24" HD LED Ws 5ms (E2441V-BN)

I can upgrade 1 or 2 components if necessary.. what do you think i should change?

Thanks guys, any help muchly appreciated :)
13 answers Last reply
More about decent gaming
  1. Your spec is very decent , but if you choose i7 then you can play and enjoy all new games with ultra settings,
  2. Thanks. So you think upgrade the processor, and not the graphics card? I can only really do one or the other. The processor i was considering was the i7 2600 3.4Ghz or the i7 2600k 3.4Ghz (not sure what the difference is)
  3. Stick with the i5. i7 has HT but I don't think any current games can fully utilize it. Also with Ivy Bridge being released soon, i7 prices will drop even more. Not worth spending that extra money. Your build is good enough as it is. If you want, post the prices you've found and I'll let you know if you can find cheaper components.

Judging from his previous posts all over the damn forum, I honestly doubt yasir siddiqui knows what he's talking about.
  4. Hey guys,

thanks for the answers.

here's what I ended up going for:

Processor INTEL CORE i7 2600K 3.4GHz 8MB RETAIL BOX
    Aftermarket Cooler NONE
    Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD
    Memory 1 G.SKILL 8GB KIT DDR3 RIPJAWS X C9 1600MHZ
    Memory 2 NONE
    Hard Drive 1 CORSAIR FORCE 3 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA3 550/510
    Hard Drive 2 SEAGATE BARRACUDA 3.5" GREEN 2TB 5900/64MB/SATA3
    Graphics Card 1 EVGA GTX580 SC 794M/4050M 1536MB/D-DVI/HDMI
    Graphics Card 2 NONE
    Optical Drive SAMSUNG 22x SATA DVD-R/RW/DL BLACK RETAIL
    Sound Card CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER VX 5.1 PCI SOUNDCARD
    Case COOLERMASTER STORM ENFORCER GAMING CASE
    Power Supply CORSAIR 750W HX-750W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
    Network TP-LINK WIRELESS N 300M USB ADAPTER
    Operating System MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM OEM/64BIT
    Office Suite MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010 HOME AND STUDENT - NO CD/1 USER/OEM/PKC
    Antivirus MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS ANTIVIRUS
    Keyboard LOGITECH MK520 CORDLESS DESKTOP
    Mouse RAZER ABYSSUS OPTICAL GAMING MOUSE
    Monitor LG 24" HD LED WS 5MS (E2441V-BN)

My question now is... will the 750w power supply be up to it? I just read a somewhere that you really want a 850 for a juicy graphics card.

Also.. do I need special or different drivers to use an HDMI cable?

cheers
  5. irilx is right about the i7. It is big and powerful but the games don't use hyperthreading yet. You will use about 30 to 40% of the i7.

Best bet go with the i5 now to save on money then when you need to up grade or need it later it will fall in price.

Your PSU depending on the brand you get would handle what you have spec. There are a lot PSU's out there that are crap. You should reserch the power supply's.

The Corsair, Antec etc are some of better quaulity. Not 100% best but not the worst either.

I don't know if you need a special driver for the HDMI. Maybe some else could help you. You do have a very nice system very nice indeed. Good luck
  6. DM186 said:
    irilx is right about the i7. It is big and powerful but the games don't use hyperthreading yet. You will use about 30 to 40% of the i7.

Best bet go with the i5 now to save on money then when you need to up grade or need it later it will fall in price.

Your PSU depending on the brand you get would handle what you have spec. There are a lot PSU's out there that are crap. You should reserch the power supply's.

The Corsair, Antec etc are some of better quaulity. Not 100% best but not the worst either.

I don't know if you need a special driver for the HDMI. Maybe some else could help you. You do have a very nice system very nice indeed. Good luck

He does have a Corsair HX, which is a pretty decent power supply as I can remember. Also I definitely agree with the rest on the part of the 2500K. You really don't need a 2600K unless you plan to do.....well.....I can't think of anything the 2600 can really do better than the 2500. Also, switch otu the soundcard. Its more of a waste than anything unless you are really really really really really really really really really into music and audio, which about 99% of the people are not.

I would recommend the GTX570 also, it plays everything on ultra, save for BF3 (which it even does really well).

The rest of wour build looks good. What games are you playing?
  7. Cheers guys...

Yeah, probably over kill on the CPU for me, all i'll be doing mainly is watching HD video, browsing, listening to music and of course games.

I was dead set on getting the GTX570 SC, but I changed my order and went with the GTX580 SC. It's been a long time since I had a decent PC, so I thought I'd go all in and get the best I could afford. It was either that or uprgade to a better monitor and I chose the graphics card. I went with a soundcard as I thought I'd need one to run my TB gaming headphones.

So I ordered it on saturday, hopefully they'll get it build for me by tomorrow afternoon.. fingers crossed.. starting to wish i'd just got all the parts from them and put it together myself. Although, they will definitely do a better job than i would!

I plan on playing a lot of the newest games... BF3, Skyrim, RAGE, F1 2011, Dirt 3..
  8. Deemo13 said:
    He does have a Corsair HX, which is a pretty decent power supply as I can remember. Also I definitely agree with the rest on the part of the 2500K. You really don't need a 2600K unless you plan to do.....well.....I can't think of anything the 2600 can really do better than the 2500. Also, switch otu the soundcard. Its more of a waste than anything unless you are really really really really really really really really really into music and audio, which about 99% of the people are not.

I would recommend the GTX570 also, it plays everything on ultra, save for BF# (which it even does really well).

The rest of wour build looks good. What games are you playing?

I guess I missed his PSU I do things like that now and then.
  9. Bit of a rant here... I ordered my system on the 4th, 2 days ago.

Today I noticed the company i purchased from are giving away $150 gift card (for use in any shopping centre) with each system purchase over $1000.

This is only for orders placed after the 6th (today). I asked if they'd let me have it as I ammended/made a change to my order today, and they basically said no.

So no big deal, but would have been nice if theyd made me aware that the voucher was coming up, and i would have waited 2 days to order. Or even just let me have it as a token of goodwill!?

So I upgraded my GFX card, and paid the extra $170, about 5 hours ago.

I just went on their website a few minutes ago, to see the card which I upgraded to is now on special and reduced by $30, or 5%.

I feel a bit cheated here... would it have hurt them to have let me know the card was about to be reduced?! sent them a pissed email a few minutes ago.

Rant over.
  10. scor81 said:
    Bit of a rant here... I ordered my system on the 4th, 2 days ago.

Today I noticed the company i purchased from are giving away $150 gift card (for use in any shopping centre) with each system purchase over $1000.

This is only for orders placed after the 6th (today). I asked if they'd let me have it as I ammended/made a change to my order today, and they basically said no.

So no big deal, but would have been nice if theyd made me aware that the voucher was coming up, and i would have waited 2 days to order. Or even just let me have it as a token of goodwill!?

So I upgraded my GFX card, and paid the extra $170, about 5 hours ago.

I just went on their website a few minutes ago, to see the card which I upgraded to is now on special and reduced by $30, or 5%.

I feel a bit cheated here... would it have hurt them to have let me know the card was about to be reduced?! sent them a pissed email a few minutes ago.

Rant over.

That sucks. It just goes to show how greed in world is today. They should have done one or the other. But you could call it bad luck LOL ;)

You should bug them and bug them untill they give you something. You know they knew that this stuff was coming up they do it just about every year.

Who did your build? I would like to know so I won't recommend them to anybody if there going to cheat people like that. Good luck to you though.
  11. They ended up refunding me the $30 so I'm happy with that.
  12. scor81 said:
    They ended up refunding me the $30 so I'm happy with that.

Cool, right on glad to hear that.
  13. Your rig looks like a beast, sucks that they didn't give you the voucher but at the end of the day you get to play games maxed and that was the point. Also yasir siddiqui should probably refrane from giving false advice, as I'm sure your aware graphics settings in games are nearly always limited by your graphics card, unless your cpu is weaksauce which the i5 certainly isn't. I have noticed some slight advantages with my i7 over my room mates i5, decompressing etc seems slightly better but when your talking about a couple of seconds on thing unrelated to gaming its not very important.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics