New Built PC was working until now...

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey Everyone,

Thanks to everyones help on this forum, I was able to get my PC up and running. However, I have now run into an issue and have no idea what it might be. I finally built a new computer desk to put my PC on. When I went to move my PC to this desk, I plugged it in and it wouldn't come on. The "Activity" light on the front blinked red for a second and the case fan went for less then a millisecond then stopped. I have no idea why it won't come on. Does anyone have a clue? Could I have shorted something out when moving it? I moved the PC when it was off and unplugged. Here are my Specs:

CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
RAM - GSkill Rip Jaws 4GBX2
PSU: Antec BP550
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB
Monitor: Samsung SynchMaster E2420

Thanks again everyone!

You should recheck all of the power connectors inside on the motherboard and make sure that the power cord is plugged all the way in. It just sounds like something is loose and you need to recheck everything. Also I would turn off the switch on the power supply and unplug it then check all the power connections and when your ready plug in the cord and turn on the switch. See if this helps.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the response. I opened up the case and made sure all of the power connectors were connected the whole way which they are. All of the fans turn for a second before shutting down and the LED on the front turns on as well before restarting...

Turn off the power supply switch and take the power cord and unplug it then remove the cmos battery on the motherboard and wait a few minutes and put it back in and plug the power cord back in and turn the power supply switch on. If that don't work then you need to test the power supply;

http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-clip-test.pdf

You should probably do this test to see if you have a power supply issue.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

Thanks, I will give this a shot. I was just using my PC yesterday, it's weird that moving it from one room to another it suddenly won't come on. :(

Review this thread with the idea to check all of your cabling:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step-guide-building

If no luck, work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If that doesn't work, come back and I can give some more advanced troubleshooting ideas.

If in moving it you had any static electricity in you and you discharged it into the Pc then you need to do a reset by removing the cmos battery or if by some incredible coiencedence the power supply had a defect and it just stopped working , thats why the paper clip test.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Do you have other computer parts to exchange parts to eliminate defective components? Even if they are not interchangeable you could still see if your power supply is broken by using it to power your older computer. If it isn't this it could be an issue with your motherboard since it refuses to power up.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

This is actually my first built PC (The rest were laptops)...So it's going to be hard to diagnose it this way.

I just have no idea how i picked it up, carried it 20 feet and it stopped working. Makes no sense. I took out CMOS battery before I left for work and will reinstall when I get home...

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Hey Everyone,

As a Status Update. ONce I got home, I put back in the CMOS battery and it still did the same thing. So I followed all of the guides to troubleshoot the issue and can't find out the issue. I took everything out of the case and had just the CPU, Heat Sink Fan and Power Supply connected. It did the same thing...My only guess is an issue with my PSU?

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I don't either but something's not right if the psu is good and the Pc still don't work and you have checked and recheced every power connector and the ram and video card. If course it's hard not being there and seeing what you see and having to do everything with posting answers and replies.

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, it truly sucks...I have no idea what I need to replace either since I don't have spare parts...Even though the Paper Clip test had the fan running in the PSU, I still think it has to be something with that...idk why.

When you did the paper clip test was the main power connector like what is shown in the instructions the only connector that you unplugged? If you did the paper clip test with all the fans plugged into the motherboard then they all should have started working not kust the psu fan. I have done that very same thing only with a jumper because I have water cooling and it's they way to test the water loop for leaks before you actually try to run the Pc and everything is supposed to come on except the cpu.

Nice video and it does help to see what is happening. Now I see that there is intermitent on/off of the fans and it only happens when you touch the power switch and since that is sending the signal to the psu to start and there is not a contiuous starting of the Pc then it has to be the psu. Is there a reset button on the psu?

mowbr4

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

I appreciate all of your help so far. Thanks. I couldn't find a reset switch as I was looking. I have an Antec BP550 :(