mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
What is the difference between LCD flat panel monitor and flat CRT monitor beside's the price and the size. Is the LCD faster? My friend is using a LCD monitor and his pc spec is much lower than mine. But i'm using a normal CRT monitor.
I can see difference when i use his pc. It's like the LCD panel is making the pc fast(i don't know what is happening actually). What is the difference actually???
Is it with the refresh rate??? I'm using the same refresh rate as him, 60Hz. With same resolution 1024x768x32bit color and both are 15 inch.
Anyone out there..please help me...
I'm really confused....

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Monitor (lcd vs crt) cannot influence your actual pc speed. if his specs r lower than it comes down to operating system, how many background applications he has running, and the settings of his computer (how optimized components are made for each other, etc.).

Hilbert space is a big place.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Thanks flamethrower205,

We are both using WinXP and he is running more background application than mine.
We bought pc at the same time, and we didn't do any changes at the setting yet(i mean optimizing).
Actually this speedy thing does not mean that his pc is faster than mine, but it's just that his pc response faster to him.
Lets say when he clicks "My Computer" or lets say he minimize a application window, wow it's so fast!!!
Normally, if we minimize a window we can see that the window will be dragged to the taskbar, but in his pc when you minimize a window, you can't see the dragging part.
You click minimize button, and it's in the taskbar....That's damn fast man...

I heard the refresh rate can speed up the responce, but we are both using the same refresh rate.

Please i want to buy a 17" flat CRT, but if a LCD display is speeding up the response than i have to save more money to get one LCD(it's very expensive).

Anyone out there, please help me...

I'm very, very confused.....

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
1) Boost your refresh rate up to about 70 on the CRT monitor. Your eyes will thank you.

2) Monitors are display devices and have very little impact upon PC performance, except in some games where the frame-rate is locked to the refresh rate and can be reduced by lower refresh rates.

3) The big difference between LCD and CRT monitors is display quality. When it comes to focus, convergence and linearity the LCD wins every single time.

4) LCD is not faster than CRT... this is evident in some older LCDs where the text on the screen smears when the screen is scrolled. But they are working on that and most new LCDs don't smear at all. Look for a specification called "Response Time"... the lower the number the better.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you turn off "window animation" in your performance dialogue you can get rid of that stupid growing window thing entirely... and yep, it makes a very noticeable difference in performance.

You shouldn't want the LCD because it does something to speed up your system... it doesn't. You should want it for superior display quality.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Thanks you too Teq,

I tried disabling "window animation" in my performance dialogue and i saw the difference.

This is what i said happen to my friend who is using LCD panel.

The response are very fast...

You guys are great, thanks...

If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it !!!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Kewl... now, here's the thing, there are over 1,000 performance an security enhancements for XP... some make little difference some make all the difference. I've seen performance increases of 50% in win2k systems and even more in XP.

The first thing to do is get to the Microsoft XP site and download their "TweakUI" powertoy... Unlike previous versions, the XP one is a powerhouse of nice tweaks.

Next you should learn about Services and how to manage them using the Microsoft Management Console. It's not hard, but you can really boost things up by turning off unneeded or insecure services (remote desktop, intelegent background transfers, remote registry, being the 3 most dangerous).

There's a ton of good tweaking info at:
<A HREF="http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html" target="_new">http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/default.html</A>

Like always, don't do them all... just the ones you need.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
have anyone used TweakUI for XP..???
Please tell your experience with it...
Will it give problem to the hardware...because i just had sygate firewall causing "infinate loop" to my R9700 driver(my pc hangs when playing games)
After uninstalling it, everything is fine....
Don't want anything like that to happen again...
Write in your opinion, guys...
and thanks...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, was in Puerto Rico. I've used TweakUI, and it seemed fine, tho I use a Quadro DCC and haven't had any real driver problems with it (interesting that I beta test everything tho hehe). Try it, see what happens. I stopped using it tho b/c I hate the xp stuff.....I like the rainy day w/ black background desktop scheme of win2k- easy on my eyes and simple to navigate (however ugly it may be).

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
hmm, could come down to his drivers also. I mean my DJ5550 had some annoying driver issue and that takes xp 1 minute extra to load while slowing down some other things.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
What's DJ5550?

Reason I ask is ever since I installed SP1, it seems like it takes XP longer to boot up, and some applications seem more sluggish than they were. Is that somehow related to the DJ thing?

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't take showers. :tongue:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
That's my bitchy yet good printer- Deskjet 5550. I must say, if u have an HP printer and u have some windows issue, check that cause half the time it's b/c HP can't write drivers for sh!t.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi flamethrower205, thanks for your reply...
I'll try TweakUI and see the difference.
But, does the tweaking things give burden to the CPU or the memory of other parts...Sorry for asking this, i know it's a stupid question ???

Thanks man...

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks, that makes a surprisingly big difference!

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
There are over 500 such settings you can change in XP...

The performance dialgue is one.

Try right clicking the task bar and selecting properties.

Same for the start button.

Head over to the Microsoft website and pick up a copy of Tweak UI for XP, it's a veritable goldmine of good tweaks.

Head over to Snakefoot <A HREF="http://snakefoot.fateback.com/default.html" target="_new">http://snakefoot.fateback.com/default.html</A> and check out the Services and System tweaks for even more performance enhancements.

Unlike win 9x OSs the NT based ones do not come out of the box in anything resembling a good configuration. Mostly they're set up for best install, not best performance. You can really perk them up by doing a little reading and then climbing into the settings... I've seen XP almost double in speed when tweaked right up on good hardware.

mrjeejay99

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2003
Hi flamethrower205,Thanks man,
Anyway i want to ask something. When i play games my CPU usage is 100% and the temperature is at 57 celcius.
Is this normal for P4 2.66Ghz.
Does it means 2.66Ghz is not enough???
My normal temperature is 45 celcius....with a standard Intel fan...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
That temp seems fine for a cpu under full load or close to it. Temp obviously varies with how much "work" your proc is doing, so if that's about your max it's fine. Could be lower I suppose if u use something like arctic silver or antec reference silver compound. Fact is that if you don't plan to overclock, your temps are fine. My athlon 1.2Ghz T-Bird under full load is notorious for reaching 65ºC (my house temp is 75ºF, my room temp is 85ºF- I have a heater and a computer). In terms of whether your P4 is sufficient, as long as your comp runs games smoothly (30FPS at least, 60FPS+ being preferable) it's ok there too.