flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, installed Microsoft's latest update for XP, and bam, every time I start up it gives me 2 things saying windows has recovered from an error. How do I uninstall the critical update, w/o sys restore on?

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
A similar thing happened to me. Exactly the same thing, actually except that it did it only once. It's been fine since.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Ah...I'm sitting in front of a w2k box so I can't verify this for sure....forgive me if I'm full of [-peep-]...

You should be able to go to "windows update" in your control panel. Under XP there should be a list of installed updates and I think you can roll back some of them.

I'll look at it more tonight when I get home.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, a lot of the updates can be removed like a normal program.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I believe he meant "Add / Remove Programs". You can try the "Windows Components" tab there also. Some things can be removed but I'm not so sure about auto-updated critical fixes.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

dhlucke

Polypheme
I can't tell if any of these updates that can be removed are critical. You might be SOL.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
If you really want to turn off system restore, you can use group policy (gpedit.exe) to force system restore to be shut off...

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
If its any consellation, I was having that same problem for days.... finally I installed the latest mobo drivers and it seems to be solved... (I have the Via KT133 chipset).. you may consider updating the drivers if they are available for you mobo..

Ret