Xonar DX power difficulty

zulian

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I have been trying to install a Xonar DX for the last two days now. I installed the card in the PCI-E slot just fine. The power source however is driving me crazy. It came with a floppy to 4 pin molex (male) cable. I asked the staff at the local computer store how to connect it and they set me up with a cable that has a 6 pin PCI-E male connector in the middle, which splits into 2 3 pin male Molexs. The 3 pins are the exact same shape/size as the 4-pin Molex but missing the 4th male plug. They said I could use a 4 pin (male) Molex cable that splits into two female 4 pin Molexs to connect them. So to diagram my current cable:
(DX) - Floppy + 4 pin Male Molex - 4 Pin Female Molex + (4 pin male molex that plugs into nothing, connecting the two female 4 pins) + 4 Pin Female Molex - 3 Pin Male Molex + 6 pin PCI-E, with another 3 pin Male Molex dangling off to the side. +s indicate the pieces are all on the same cable, -s are where I plugged them in.
Now I plug the end of this monstrosity into my power supply in a 6-pin female socket labeled "HDD/SATA" and turn my computer on. The lights flash briefly and the fan starts to spin but they immediately shut off. According to the computer store staff this should work. I have a 1000W psu so I can't imagine that is the problem (only running 1 graphics card, 3 HDDs, 1 DVD drive). Could anyone offer any advice on what to try? I'm at my wit's end, I was expecting this to be simple, but I'm well into day 2 now and no idea what to do next.
Edit: Apologies for the convoluted description of the cables, but as you can probably guess, I'm not hardware savvy :p I have no idea the proper terms for everything.

Solution

Not ON the PSU, no. On the wires coming from the PSU, yes.

You're letting the modular inputs confuse you. Those are ONLY for the PSU specific wiring, not anything else.

You don't need to worry about that. You're over thinking it. Just use a free Molex connector with the cable I linked (or the one that came with the card, actually, since I think it may be the same thing).

The Molex is the white 4 pin connector there, but that particular one is female. The one you need from the PSU to use the Molex to Floppy connector is a male Molex (which there should be plenty of).

Well, I just had a thought. That's a modular PSU, so there may be cables that aren't attached currently (that came with the PSU) that hav a Floppy connector on it. Regardless, that cable you linked is completely unnecessary (and wrong, actually, especially the second one).

This is what you need from the PSU and I know it's there somewhere. It just may be black instead of white.
4pin_molex_male.jpg

zulian

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I feel like I must be missing something stupidly obvious here :p But you're saying there should be a 4 pin molex socket on the psu? Because I really don't think there is. I only see places to plug in PCI-E cables.

Not ON the PSU, no. On the wires coming from the PSU, yes.

You're letting the modular inputs confuse you. Those are ONLY for the PSU specific wiring, not anything else.

Solution

In that case, yes, but you shouldn't need to have every single connector in use. There should be another modular cable that you're not using that has more connectors on it.

zulian

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I don't see any cables that have nothing on them, but I found one that had a couple molex connectors plugged into it. I plugged the first cable you linked into the connector, which was plugged directly into another connector, which was hooked up to a cable like the 1Male - 2Female one I linked. So that won't start an electrical fire, right? :p Computer is booting up now, crossing my fingers!

zulian

Honorable
May 13, 2012
silverstone 1000w power supply
It is the exact one in the picture I linked. I didn't build the computer myself (obviously :p), so I only have the cables that came with it. Maybe that was part of the problem.

Nah, that's good, you're on the right track now, but I would still like to know what the actual model of the PSU is, so I know whether or not you even need to do that (if there's a Floppy connector on an unused modular cable).

Cool, just saw that you posted the model. I'll check it out,

zulian

Honorable
May 13, 2012
The floppy connector is the little one? I didn't see one, but I saw a bunch of SATA. I was thinking I needed to plug it into the PSU, I didn't realize that they were scattered on the cables like that. Windows just failed to install the drivers (which I read would happen) but the fact that it detected the card at all seems like a victory to me. I'm just super nervous about plugging stuff in random places or leaving sockets not plugged in because, well, electrical stuff just makes me nervous :p But I think I get the concept now of a modular power supply, so thank you a ton, I really appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS