gone1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Just upgraded my 550 be to new cpu fx4100 and m5a97 mobo. Also 2 scythe ultra kazes and some shin etsu paste, for a used h60 I bought. Installed fx4100 used shin etsu g751 paste with h60 config in push pull with it pulling in outside air. Was planning on overclocking so turned off turbo core, c1e, c6, cool n quiet, epu, also load line max etc. Booting up in bios cpu temp 41c.. Idle its running 40c using hw monitor, cores 0-3 idle 23-25c. prime 95 kills it within 3 tests.. Hitting 65c cpu temp by test 3 on blend, cores staying about 5c cooler at 60c. Have not let it run any longer than that once it hits 65 I stop tests.. So i re applied paste 3 times same temps might get lower idle temps but prime 95 blend still wont hold below 65c. I am thinking the h60 which was used is bad? Or am I missing something.. This is not overclocked at all yet. Would just like some more opinions on this. Thank you.. Also using a haf x cooler master case.

Solution
+1^
I would scrap the H60 and go for air cooling with that processor. At stock, it shouldn't be running that hot... even doing Prime95. When it comes to thermal compound, I still use good ol' Arctic Silver 5. Properly applied, it will always do the job.
Application Method: http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#
The H60 isn't that great.

Maybe it is installed wrong, but its just not a popular thing to use because it underperforms common air coolers like Hyper 212s.

Put on a regular stock fan or a Hyper 212 and see what the temperatures settle at on Prime 95.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
I would scrap the H60 and go for air cooling with that processor. At stock, it shouldn't be running that hot... even doing Prime95. When it comes to thermal compound, I still use good ol' Arctic Silver 5. Properly applied, it will always do the job.
Application Method: http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#

Solution

gone1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Sounds good, I loved my h50 on my 550 be... Have some artic silver 5 and ceramique laying around.. Going to throw on stock cooler. Going to have to see if the 212 can fit on my mobo without taking my ram out.. Should i use stock tim, or replace with as5? Thank you for the replys.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

As long as you are replacing the thermal compound, I'd use the AS5. Read the instructions I linked you to for the company's recommendations. I always use the Arctic Cleaner to remove the old stuff, but you may prefer something else.

gone1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
After close inspection of h60, the heat sink did have scratches and weird marks it was not lets say pretty looking. Could have been the problem. I just tossed it in trash lol