Wanted a 3570K but having second thuoughts and thinking about a 2500K

G

I decided on a msi z77a-gd65 for my motherboard for my upgrade from a 955BE to an Intel core processor.I think now is a decent time to upgrade even though im not struggling with anything currently i have a feeling i soon would be with my cpu, so i was seriously considering the 3570k but i am worried about the heat. I have a hyper 212+ but will be getting a hyper 212 evo for the very slight increase in performance(and easier tim application), but also so i can sell the 212+ with my 955BE.

Either way, the 3570k or the 2500k i will be going with this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130643
I really like its features and sharp looks, i would be pairing it with the corsair vengance low profile blue as well (8gb 1600 mhz). My budget for upgrading is 450 and includes ram, cpu, mobo, and cooler.(190 for cpu at micro center, 180 for motherboard at ncix, 52 for ram at ncix, and 30 for the cooler on amazon(have gift cards there))

Anyway if i get the 2500K i would go for the highest stable overlclock i possibly could, most likely 4.8-5.0ghz, but if i go with the 3570K i would just want to be at 4.4-4.5ghz. With either processor i feel like i would be set for the next 3-4 years and not have to worry about changing my cpu. My concern however is that i have a radeon 7850 and will most likely crossfire in about a year or two and so i sort of want the pci3 support. So will the heat on ivy be a killer? should i jump on ivy or stick to a 2500k?

I would avoid crossfiring and avoid water cooling and for that matter avoid trying to max your processor OC. It is cool for about as long as it takes for you to say you did it.

There isn't much that can strain a stock 3570k nor a PCIE 2.0 port for that matter.

I would do a small OC on the processor if it makes you feel awesome to do so (like 4.0) and if you feel like you need more graphics performance then just ebay the 7850 and buy 1x of a 680 or whatever is the latest and greatest.

The heat on the Ivy Bridge chips does suck, but it isn't through some flaw in the processor that is just how it is when there is a heat producing thing every 22 nanometers across the chip. Sandy Bridge makes the same heat it is just spread out over a larger physical space which makes it seem like less.

The 2500k is great, but they are already obsolete and being phased out for a reason. Vendors are selling their existing inventory of 2000 series chips and Intel is giving them 3000 series chips to fill back up the shelves with. You might as well be right there with everybody else.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Obsolete? My i7-920 is obsolete?! My god. Tell me which program(s) bring my venerable 4 year old system to its knees before you say an i5-2500k is obsolete...

A 3570k is more of a sidegrade than a major upgrade to a 2500k.

I guess it depends on how you look at it.

If something isn't being manufactured now and won't be manufactured ever again because something newer and better has been designed and put into production, that is a pretty good definition for obsolete.

Obsolescence really doesn't necessarily have to do with performance characteristics.

- Edit - BTW, I am not really trying to teach an English class here.

InvalidError

Titan

Pretty sure he meant 'obsolete' as in about to be marked as "not for new designs", progressively phased out of production and supply chain.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
was a bit sarcastic with my remark. But obsolete does have a negative connotation as DJB stated. Whenever I hear the term "obsolete", i think about something that has been so outdated and weak; that it's worthless to even use anymore. Like using a pentium 4 to encode or something intensive when everything released in the past 6-7 years is significantly faster..

But that's just me. I prefer the word EOL or Discontinued when describing a last generation vs a new generation product. Much clearer to anybody who's reading this thread who doesn't know about processor generations and performances.

The OP seems to know enough about processors to know that the 2500k isn't total junk. Now you are just insulting his intelligence.

Clearly the only thing that I could possibly mean is the one that is completely accurate.

It is the way of things for old technology to be continually replaced by newer and better technology, in this case SB is being replaced by IB. This is happening everywhere and it is going to happen until all SB chips have been replaced by IB chips or something better than IB chips.

I don't see any real benefits to delaying this process.

If all that matters is hitting the highest possible GHZ figures then he should get one of the Phenom 2s that hit 7 GHZ. - Edit - Or 8.17 GHZ FX-8150 for that matter.

That won't necessarily translate into better processing results in actual usage than a 4.4 GHZ 3570k, but neither is a 4.8 GHZ 2500k necessarily going to do better either.

The old chips have to be OCd just to equal the new chips, again because of the better basic design.

The "total junk" comment wasn't directed at the OP, just for anyone else less knowledgeable who happens to come across this thread.

And I'm also not saying that you're wrong about your way of thinking, but there are better words for it than obsolete.

For what it's worth, I agree that he should go with the 3570K.

InvalidError

Titan

That depends entirely on which definition you choose to use...

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/obsolete
------
1 - no longer produced or used; out of date: the disposal of old and obsolete machinery the phrase was obsolete after 1625

verb - cause (a product or idea) to become obsolete by replacing it with something new: we’re trying to stimulate the business by obsoleting last year’s designs
------

Nothing intrinsically negative about it in Oxford's definitions.

LOL, you're right, but I'm not arguing the definition, just that some people might misconstrue it because of their own feeling towards the word obsolete (whether they know the actual definition or not).

Regardless of how technically correct my usage is, I will consider saying discontinued in the future so the meaning can't possibly be misunderstood.

However, I do want to stress that it is "discontinued" for a reason.

In case it makes a difference, I am poor so its kinda hard for me to have non-"discontinued" parts in general, but I am saving for IB, not for SB.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Same. Sorry OP... but yes get a 3570k; newer tech and somewhat better performance (teeny bit).

In terms of the word usage; it's directed more at people who may not know a lot about computer parts as we do and who may be misinformed when we say something is "obsolete" which may mean "junk" to them.

Was a nice discussion at least!

InvalidError

Titan

Poor or not, the performance and general computer spec floor for decent playability has been nearly stagnant for the last many years, which makes it quite possible to stretch components for several more years than before if you pick your upgrades carefully, no need to worry about using 'discontinued' parts!

Everything in my PC is probably discontinued as well... but I don't care since it still gets everything I need to do done faster than I need it to as long as I do not try doing too many non-trivial things at once.

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
@raiddin - the heat doesnt suck. IB just hits a heat wall around 4.5Ghz, by which time it benches comparably to a 4.9Ghz SB - and most SB chips won't even make it that far; the myth of SB chips all hitting 5 on air is hurting these boards.

rest of thread; tl, dr. get a 3570k. why ? cuz they smell nicer.

essentially lilotmz said it right. 2500k, i920, 3570k, they are all overkill, but since he's buying now, why not get the newest and *without doubt* best CPu, as they all cost the same.

FYI IB will do 4.2Ghz on stock voltage.

IB's localized heat buildup is an architectural problem that won't just go away on its own.

As the die size shrinks, the same amount of heat will be brought into a smaller and smaller space which will cause temperature differentials to increase between the outer and inner edges of the chips.

The best way to avoid that is to decrease the voltage the CPU needs in order to operate, but that is a bandaid solution at best.

Intel or AMD need to make some sort of breakthrough that once and for all gets rid of the problem, but I have no idea what that fix might entail. That is why I don't work for them I guess.

Anyway, the localized heat thing is very real and as a problem it does indeed suck. You can't just throw money at the problem to fix it. You can apply various bandaids, but you will need bigger and bigger bandaids the more aggressive you want to be with the performance of the IB chip.

Even if you get a $7000 dry ice slash liquid helium processor cooler you haven't "solved" this problem which does indeed suck.

Make no mistake, it is a problem that does indeed need to be solved. The bandaid fixes won't work forever.

willzzz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Agree with DigDog, get the 3570k you may not get as many ghz but you'll get the same performance for most tasks and big boosts to certain things like quicksync.

Try it on 4.2ghz first, you will probably find that gives you all the performance you need with no real heat problems.

The only reason to get a 2500k now is if it is noticeably cheaper, or you just want to over-clock for the sake of it.

Chip to IHS is the primary cause, the tim is no good.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/24059/ivy_bridge_s_heat_problem_is_indeed_caused_by_intel_s_tim_choice/index.html

I'm at 4.3Ghz on a 3570K at 62C gaming temps, 70C Intel Burn test, Idle = 33C