Modding Case and Components.

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I will be ordering my parts for my second build soon and I intend on modding a few things, but there are a few things I'm worried about.

For my build I will be painting the case and many other things and doing all sorts of stuff to make my build unique and because I have a colour scheme I really like.

There are a lot of things I want to do but there are only a few things I'm worried about that could alter the performance and cooling of my build.

1. If I were to put the fan on my CPU cooler to match the colour scheme is there a chance that the paint could unbalance the fan and make it rattle or not as effective. If it won't, what is the best method of doing this?

2. I want to paint the heatsink on my RAM and the heatsink found on the motherboard for the chipsets to make it fit my colour scheme, will the paint alter the cooling? And is there a certain paint I should use?

3. I'll paint the motherboard tray in my case and probably several other sections, will the paint effect the cooling of the case? And is there a certain paint I should use to least effect the cooling?

Thanks A lot!

Nope, painting any of those parts will be fine, the rams heatspreader may be affected but neglibly so, I.e. no big difference to performance
Sand with a fine grit paper, wash/brush parts clean and use spraypaint, couple of coats sanding in between
If you can dismantle the fan to paint do so, if not then mask off any parts not being painted
And why not do a build log thread to chart you progress?
**Edit for spellingfail**
Moto

rufus_22

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
With the fans there is a definate chance of issues depending on the make of the fan and or paint .. I've heard of some peeps using some sort of coloured stain to change their fans .. In regaurds to your memory heatsinks . as long as your only painting the ends your fine . For your mobo tray .. as long as you follow the paint instructions in regaurds to prep , prime , and finnish coat to insure good adhesion you be good .. good luck :)

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

thanks for the feedback, all taken in and appreciated. i should be ordering my parts in about 1-2months

sk-jb93

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

thanks for all the feedback too.
when you said only paint the ends on the memory heatsinks could clear that up for me. i dont think i get what you mean sorry. and as for the painting of the motherboard tray which paint instructions are you referring to?

airdeano

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

its called dye, kinda like tye-dyeing a t-shirt, the hot water with a dye in it will tint your part. if you try to dye black, it'll still be pretty much black. but light colors can be dyed with good results. and some fans are not able to come apart without damage, so be careful.

airdeano

i believe they are aluding to the tops of the RAM heatsinks. if you carefully remove the heatsinks, lightly sand them, and paint them you'll be fine. as said before, heavy paint or 20 coats of clear and then you'd have a problem. there are many how-to vids on how to paint fans, PSU, and cases. the motherboard tray isn't that much of a heat sink to worry about thermal damage from painting it.

airdeano