campbullard

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Hey, just like to say I'm new to the forum but it seems pretty cool. But I'll get right to my problem. My rig is a amd 4400 x2 processor, x1950gt, 2 gigs of pc3200 ram. In 3dmark 06 I have been getting low cpu scores compared to other people of the same cpu. I currently have it clocked at 2.5 ghz as opposed to standard clocking of 2.2 and am receiving a cpu mark of 983. I have done some research on forums and found that most people with my processor score around 2k on stock settings. I have downloaded the amd dual core optimizer so that isn't the problem (although if there are any other drivers I need I would like to know).Anyways here's a link to my 3dmark in case that helps. Thanks ahead for any help received.
http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&XLID=0&UID=9734978

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
did u upgrade your processor based on an already running windows xp or is this a new rig?

The system may not picked up both cores 8)

campbullard

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
It was already running Windows xp. I installed it but then had an issue so I took it to a computer shop. They reinstalled windows and everything, but if you know a way to test for the problem I would like to know.

campbullard

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
When I was uploading my specs to steam it said it had no hyperthreading, but I thought that was just an intel term? I'm using an nvidia nforce socket 939, still using ddr ram. This is an aging system making it's last stand.

campbullard

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I just ran a program called Core Temp and it only gives me a temperature reading on 1 core. Does this mean that the core is fried or what?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Does screen show Dual CPU at POST? If you open Task Manager, does it show 2 CPU Usage History? Check you have latest version of Core Temp, as it shows 2 cores on my system. Run CPU-Z to see what is shown.

Mike.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I just ran a program called Core Temp and it only gives me a temperature reading on 1 core. Does this mean that the core is fried or what?

did you do what i have suggested? to make sure that the system is picking up 2 cores or it only recognise 1 core?

the core cant be fried, if 1 core fails to work, nither will work in AMD's design

clairvoyant129

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
one cpu and one page file usage. So, I'm guessing one core isn't being used.

Update your BIOS and resintall Windows.

By the way, you said you took it to a PC shop right? Is it possible that they took out your CPU and replaced it with a single core? jk lol

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
um, sorry for my ignorance but how do I update my bios?

find out what kind of motherboard you have. go to that companies website, and download the bios upgrade to a floppy disk. flash the bios, and install the new bios. their will be instructions on the companies website. but yah, u deffintly need a bios upgrade if ur cpu is only showing one thread on task manager.

campbullard

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Well, the computer place actually installed windows and stuff. My mobo says online bios flash utility so does that mean it upgrades to the most recent bios, or do I have to download a bios onto a startup disk?

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
my guess more or less the guys in the PC shop did fuck all with it and charged you for no work done!

you dont need to upgrade your BIOS, a simple windows XP reinstall should do the trick.

you could search GOOGLE for MS Dual-Core Patch you should find instructions :)

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
my guess more or less the guys in the PC shop did **** all with it and charged you for no work done!

you dont need to upgrade your BIOS, a simple windows XP reinstall should do the trick.

you could search GOOGLE for MS Dual-Core Patch you should find instructions :)

WRONG!!! a simple windows re-install will not do the trick . you are wrong guy, dont mislead him. If you want your motherboard to recognize your dual core cpu, u need to upgrade your bios. windows will not help your motherboard recognize a dual core cpu if ur motherboard doesnt recognize it in the first place!!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
um, sorry for my ignorance but how do I update my bios?
You need to get some local hands on help, and not the shop that you took it to, because they obviously don't know what they are doing. Updating your BIOS can, if done improperly, render your motherboard inoperable. Either get some help or study up on the whole procedure and be very careful. Start with the MB website and read everything you can. Good luck

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
You need to find out if your BIOS version supports your dual core CPU before you re-install Windows.

What is your motherboard and which version of the BIOS is it using? (it will tell you this when you boot up). We should then be able to tell from the web whether that version of the BIOS supports your CPU.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
if you looked at the link he provided with futuremark 3DMark06, the software has recognised the processor as a Athlon64 X2, and the software reads this information from the BIOS...

Im pretty sure when he boots up his machine the BIOS displays AuthenticAMD Athlon64 X2 Dual CPU or

AMD Athlon64 Processor
AMD Athlon64 Processor

If BIOS could not detect or recognise the processor it would display something like

AMD Athlon64 Processor Model Unknown or something simular to that.

But yea, by no harm to upgrade your BIOS as well.

pete4r

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
lol well spot !! I was wondering the same thing felt something strange but didnt dig in...

:lol: :lol: this is well messed up